Question: LFE signals without a sub on mondern AVR's

18 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

On modern-ish (Denon X3400h) AVR's will the LFE signal be sent to mains if no subwoofer is present and I only have 2-channel mains connected - at least as far as the AVR is concerned? Or will that content channel simply be carved off from the audio presentation unless something is connected to the sub pre-out?

I think I've answered your question.

14 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

You've pointed me to the 20yr old Dolby spec.. I guess I can only hope that D&M faithfully adheres to it.

That's when it came out and is the standard as far as I know.  I don't know why any AVR manufacturer would deviate from it especially if they incorporate any Dolby logo on their product.  Like I've said previously, hook it up and run test tones through it.  You'll see what's being passed through.

• Thanks 1

Setting subwoofer presence to "No" in Speaker Config. does not automatically send the audio signals to the L/R main pre-outs.

To send the full signal and include LFE content to the L/R main pre-outs, you need to go to Setup Menu > Speakers > Manual Setup > Bass and set Subwoofer mode to LFE+Main. Also you need to make sure that your Front speaker sizes are set to Large to include very low bass frequencies when you set the sub mode to LFE+Main.

Here's the official from Denon support. The bit about LFE+Main seems a bit counter-intuitive based on their description of that setting in the manual, but whatever.