Wood to Aluminum MAHL V2 tweeters

Dave A

2 hours ago, glens said:

Still grinning at the terminology...

I was thinking today. According to some a thing that is not always worth while. But what if I got really descriptive?

Anyway.

There once was a tweeter named MAHL

The name was not suited for all

But the guy who does make them

Is the one who does name them

His first choice of course was then MAHL

• Like 1

Back to the wood: Several specie are hard...Ex: Locust, Hedge Apple and such. Working in the veneer industry for a while, I can say that we bought logs out of the northern areas, due to the harsher environment and it producing a denser wood. Metals are are similar in that it's not easy to see that tough and hard are two different things (volt vs amp, pressure vs volume). Also, kiln dried vs stick dried vs whatever has very little to do with splitting / stress relieving. Splitting is due to internal stressing which has some complexities to accommodate and or relieve the stress. In a vat of water, wood is heated up and cooled down several times in a controlled manner to relieve (usually not eliminating) the internal stresses.  Even after that, the veneer has to be 'flexed' as it is dried or it will buckle (be wavy) when it comes out of the dryers. 

Dave, what you're doing looks great. 

On 1/24/2020 at 7:37 PM, Dave A said:

I had some Walnut crotch wood I cut some lenses out of just for the heck of it. Some spalted Walnut also I am going to try one day and on the ridge top there are some Dogwoods I think I can get stuff out of. A pink and cream mottled appearance and really different. You start looking at all the wood out there and wheels start spinning. Mulberry of all things is yellow black and so is Osage Orange. Going to try a set out of Black Locust too this spring as I think it looks good and I have plenty of it well seasoned and I think stable enough to use.

beautiful horns

One of the best woods is black wood from Africa: Grenadilla. It is used to make the instrument (clarinet, oboe, ...). I have a Yamamoto HS1 headshell holder which is in this wood and it is great. There is also Ebony, or Cocobolo as hardwood. only problem will be the price and possibly the color if you are looking for a light or golden brown wood. There remains the furniture woods like olive, cherry, walnut, beech, oak, ...

After on of beautifull is the Rose wood real or Rosewood  not real Rose wood but great look

Grenadilla wood

Rose wood

:)