Marantz 7c Preamp Question

bharat

For those of you who remember sometime back I bought a Marantz 8 and some of you provided me great advice on using it - thank you for that. 

I’m currently running the preamp section of my Marantz 2325 to my Marantz 8 tube amp and then to Klipsch Forte ii. I couldn’t be happier with the sound. I would like to buy Marantz 7c preamp to use in conjunction with the 8 as it seems like that’s how god intended them to be used! 

Question: Does anyone have experience using this configuration particularly with Forte ii ? Any advice on selecting the ideal 7c? On eBay I find price ranging from $4000 - $10,000, seems like quite a wide range! Thanks in advance. 

Bharat 

Of the various ones currently offered on ebay, several have never been serviced and have all original parts, caps, etc.. That's good for a collector, but not for a listener. In other words, if you buy one that hasn't been restored that should be done for better listening and for safety.

But if you want the looks, I would buy the 1996 replica that's on there now. The company that did these did a great job, and the power supply caps should still be in fine shape. It is, however, a 100 volt model, like several on Ebay, which is the power supply used in Japan. So, depending on where you live, you will need to  have a power supply adapter. 

Now the newer ones referenced above using the same circuit, probably  do not have the same quality, nor will they have a phono section.

I own a Marantz 8b and had the power Marantz 7t (transistor) model.  I wasn't a huge fan of the 7T, but then again I am a tube guy.

• Like 1