Dynaco ST 70 Bob Latino Tube 2x35W For Sale - $1050

khorn79er

Hi folks, 

After almost three years of enjoyment, i'm selling my Dynaco ST 70 Bob Latino. For those not familiar, Bob Latino sells modernized versions of the classic Dynaco amplifier with enhanced and improved components. You can see more on his website here http://bob01605.50webs.com/.

The result is an excellent amp for the price with great components. I hooked these up to my Klipsch Forte 1s and the sound is..... fantastic. Especially 20 or so minutes in. The unit has "triode" and "pentode" mode, see the two switches in the middle of the amp. These modes are useful to identify the sound you prefer. I would mostly use the amp in triode mode (smaller wattage). 

I'm selling because I can't take the time to manage the tubes and I'm not so familiar with replacing them, etc. As a result, the unit is fully stock and I have not made any changes to the installed version upon delivery. The unit was fully built by Bob Latino's colleague. 

My specific unit configuration is VTA ST-70 wired and tested with the EL34 tube set and capacitor upgrade.

I am located in New Jersey and prefer to sell locally but can sell nationwide too if there is interest.

Please see photos below and feel free to ask any questions. Thanks!

IMG_4696.JPG

IMG_4698.JPG

IMG_4699.JPG

22 minutes ago, xoundmind said:

What’s the deal on these amps with the exposed board? 

I wish I had that kind of extra cash right now...

I would say it's more of a "barebones" or "raw" amp. Nothing to worry about with the exposed board except you shouldn't touch it when the tube is on as you could get an electric shock. Just something to keep in mind and tell any curious guest that comes over - I haven't had any issues :D. Like all tubes the amp does get warm and the stainless steel + exposed board definitely helps keep it cool(er). 

It's a heck of an amp. Bob Latino knows what's up. Definitely try to give these a try at some point to see for yourself.

46 minutes ago, khorn79er said:

I would say it's more of a "barebones" or "raw" amp. Nothing to worry about with the exposed board except you shouldn't touch it when the tube is on as you could get an electric shock. Just something to keep in mind and tell any curious guest that comes over - I haven't had any issues :D. Like all tubes the amp does get warm and the stainless steel + exposed board definitely helps keep it cool(er). 

It's a heck of an amp. Bob Latino knows what's up. Definitely try to give these a try at some point to see for yourself.

I intend to. I have a phono stage from those folks and am very pleased. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 7:10 PM, xoundmind said:

What’s the deal on these amps with the exposed board? 

The original Dynaco ST70 was sold with a perforated sheet metal cage that covered the transformers, tubes, and the driver board. It's not unusual for folks to run these amps without the cage because it looks cool, I guess. The kits that Bob Latino sells do not include the cage, but you can get them from other Dynaco parts suppliers.

Edited to add link to replacement cage on the dynakitparts.com website: https://www.dynakitparts.com/shop/dynakit-st-70-cover/

Edited by bb37

1 hour ago, xoundmind said:

With this amp, I assume that one has to bias power tubes? (Possibly why the seller doesn’t want to deal with tube headaches.)

Yes. The octal sockets on the front of the chassis were used back in the day to interface the amp with a Dynaco pre-amp. One of the pins on those sockets is marked to be used for bias setting. You insert a voltmeter probe into that pin of the socket and ground the meter to the chassis. The voltmeter will read the bias voltage. Stock ST-70s had bias setting potentiometers mounted in the chassis just in front of the power transformer. Since this one has the VTA ST-70 driver board (designed by Bob Latino), the bias pots are moved to the driver board (the four yellow-tan squares on the driver board).

On 1/12/2020 at 9:26 AM, xoundmind said:

With this amp, I assume that one has to bias power tubes? (Possibly why the seller doesn’t want to deal with tube headaches.)

That's correct, a bit annoying but really not the end of the world. The bias process just needs to be approximate and not exact and apparently only once every few months. I'm a first time tube owner so it's just something to learn. I'm having second thoughts about selling and will likely keep them and if needed put in a set fresh of tubes. Beyond the sound, these also look amazing especially when turned on and warmed up!!!

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
7 hours ago, bdroth88 said:

Hello just stumbled into this thread from google. Is the amp still available? I'm currently seeking out dynaco amps to try with my system! So for clarification did you build this as a kit or was it built for you?

I would suggest reading...

For example, line 7 of the original post.