Advice on addition of height speakers to existing 7.2.4 systerm

Funkster!

I am looking for advice on adding speakers to my existing system. I currently have a 7.2.4 system and would like to upgrade my Onkyo TX-NR3030 receiver to a Denon H8500

adding overhead front and back height speakers. I want to mount them on the walls/ceiling.

My current system is all Klipsch with the exception of the JL 113 subs. Any thoughts or comments is appreciated.

Projector:  JVC RS600U (calibrated)

Screen:  Stewart Filmscreen 123" Studiotek G130

Receiver:  Onkyo TX NR3030

Disc Player:   Oppo 205 and  Oppo 103

Mains:  Klipsch RF-7 ll's

Center:  Klipsch RC-64 ll

Subs:  2 - JL Audio Fathom 113's

Surrounds:  Klipsch R-62's

Rear Surrounds:  Klipsch R-5650-Sll's

Overheads:   4 – Klipsch R-5650-Sll's

Rack:  Middle Atlantic

HT-A.JPG

I recently went from 7.1.4 to 9.1.4 and really enjoy the added front wides.  I find it provided more surround integration from the front stage to the sides.  I was worried the front wide would take away from the front stage but looks like what’s played on the wide are more of the ambient tracks.

i think ultimately it depends on the shape of your room if front wide is better than 2 more ceiling as top centres.  If you have multiple rows of seating and the room is long then I think addition of top center will help.  If you have a single row, I think it’d be worth trying front wides first.

Thanks,

My room is a little over 12 ft. wide and I have two rows of (3 each) seats but I have a low ceiling (less than 8ft.). I was wondering if the Klipsch atmos speakers would be good for the wides. I have 4 in-ceiling speakers for atmos.

I currently have two R-41's in my upstairs tv room and I could move them to the ht room to try it out. My tv room would suffer a little, but the ht room is my priority.

On 1/13/2020 at 3:11 PM, Funkster! said:

Thanks,

My room is a little over 12 ft. wide and I have two rows of (3 each) seats but I have a low ceiling (less than 8ft.). I was wondering if the Klipsch atmos speakers would be good for the wides. I have 4 in-ceiling speakers for atmos.

I currently have two R-41's in my upstairs tv room and I could move them to the ht room to try it out. My tv room would suffer a little, but the ht room is my priority.

Given you have two rows of seating, additional height may be appreciated.  I think ultimately, it boils down to your room's dimension and how the additional front wide or height placement matches the suggested Dolby placement guide (https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf). I attached the 9.1.6 placement guide as it shows both suggested front wide as well as ceiling placements.

However, if you already have 4 ceiling speakers, there is only really once more place to goto .6, that'd be the centre height (add to the front and real height) which may require more work.  Hence I was suggesting to see how the front wide placement may work for you.

Klipsch Atmos (assume you're speaking of RP-500SA) won't really be good for front wides IMO.  Because front wides should be at similar/same level as your LCR.  Whereas the RP-500SA is either for up-firing or mounted on the ceiling as height. And you want the front wide to be about 70-50 degrees. I'd agree that if you have the receiver, a good way to try out is with the R-41s you already have.  But sounds like you'd have to get the Denon 8500 first which is not a small investment.  I'm also not sure how the RS-62 would mingle with front wide as RS-62 is bipole.  I guess it'd be more position dependent. (i.e. row 1 vs row 2 in your case)

I guess as it is for all of us, this is not really a need but a want. : )  Either case, you already have a great system!

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 2.39.36 PM.png