Quick question for KLF owners.

shovelnose

They fit pretty snug in place on their own, they are cupped on the back side, the outer ridge wedges itself between the lipped edge of the basket rim and the edge of the cabinet, the inner ridge acts as a spacer and trim (you can see this ridge). They do not snap in place, they are screwed down but the screws used don't have enough of a flange to grab the taper of the screw holes on the ring very well, so its not a strong hold, more of a pressure fit. The screws mount against the basket, and the rings are kinda sitting around the screws. The rings have a second ridge running through their middle (same diameter as the screw holes) that acts like a spacer. What they are is glued in place. They have a bead of glue between the ring and the basket rim. 

When I pulled mine, I removed all the old glue, replaced the original screws with ones that have a wider flange that both holds the ring better and puts plenty of mounting pressure for the woofer itself, and I ran a bead of black silicone in place of the original glue to help with any vibration. I also trimmed the middle ridge where the other 4 holes of the woofers are and put screws in the other 4 hidden holes of the woofers for a total of 8 screws holding each woofer. They rings are slightly bowed out where I did this but it looks good and I feel better having 8 screws instead of 4.

MechEngVic

Thanks. I was wondering if the Holes had worn as I can snap them off while the screws are screwed in. I had to Glue a surround that had let go in a couple spots. I was thinking the rings not being firmly in place had contributed to it as they might not be fully supporting the surround to frame.  I like your idea of 8 screws.

• Like 1

I had the same problem with the rings on my KLF 20. I removed all the old glue and used in my oppinion one of the best glue on the market - Simply Speaker Repair Adhesive Foam Edge Spider High Strength Mi-3035. It works perfect. Also had a problem with my screws were loosened, but found T-nuts + Phillips Cross Pan Head Machine Screws Black from Ebay and problem was solved. 

• Thanks 1

Glued and if you wanted a better fit with the woofer, drill the other four holes out the same size as the outside of the originals.  This will allow 8 screws to hold the woofer.  Make sure you only drill the plastic.  There are holes in the woofer frame.  - 4 vs 8 holes.  This will give you much better holding power on the frame to the enclosure. don't screw down the plastic ring, just make sure it's glued good.

Did this with my klf-20 woofers.  Will be doing it with my klf-30 woofers.

I guess screwing with 4 screws saved 10 cents per speaker though they loosen up too easily plus is very poor support of a stamped steel frame.

Go with 8.

If you need a guide, drill the holes from the back of the frame with a small drill bit, so it drills through the plastic as a guide for the bigger hole.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Glued and if you wanted a better fit with the woofer, drill the other four holes out the same size as the outside of the originals.  This will allow 8 screws to hold the woofer.  Make sure you only drill the plastic.  There are holes in the woofer frame.  - 4 vs 8 holes.  This will give you much better holding power on the frame to the enclosure. don't screw down the plastic ring, just make sure it's glued good.

Did this with my klf-20 woofers.  Will be doing it with my klf-30 woofers.

I guess screwing with 4 screws saved 10 cents per speaker though they loosen up too easily plus is very poor support of a stamped steel frame.

Go with 8.

If you need a guide, drill the holes from the back of the frame with a small drill bit, so it drills through the plastic as a guide for the bigger hole.

What type of glue did you use for the plastic ring to metal frame?