la scala mods

Fayfay

Hi everyone, I am a newbee here but not quite so. For years since I became a klipsch fan, I've read this forum for solving problems and for fun almost everyday, without registration. I gave myself excuses such as I am a foreigner with language barrier. Today I finally registered because I really want to come here and say: thank you!

I purchased my pair of la scala about two years ago. In the beginning I was so satisfied with everything but I always tried to make it better. Someone here suggested serious mods like turning it to a two-way system but I thought it maybe too much and impossible for me to do. So I started from easy tricks that I learned from here, including placing them with a small angle at room corners (both speakers facing me at 0 degree) and attenuating the tweeter and squawker by cloth ... They all worked. Still, I constantly find people comparing k400 with other midrange horns (altec, EV, etc) but never thought to try it by myself until I heard altec two-way speakers in the house of a friend of mine, Mike who probably doesn't come here. The sound is so sweet that I decided to give it a try (and Mike gave me a pair of altec 511b with altec 808-8a and altec N501 at a ridiculously low price - he just wants me to have an easy start - such a nice friend). Anyway in short, I recently modified my two la scala to be a two-way system with those pieces after reading so many posts here. I also ordered some isolation feet to install under the altec 511b cabinet. At the back of the speakers, I use banana plugs and  sockets to make the system fully switchable that I can listen to either the original three-way or the new two-way speakers. I have some basic soldering skills so now I even start imagining building my own crossovers in the future. Many of you have been there and done that. This cannot be done without your knowledge and experience. I think that it would be improper if I keep lurking here and don't show my appreciation. You guys are just amazing! Thank you!

speakers03.jpg

Edited by Fayfay
  • Like 4

Certainly I remember Tarheel's modding!

In the beginning I tried to place the horn alone on the top because I think it's more presentable. But the pieces my friend Mike gave to me already have cabinets. Finally I decide to keep the cabinets because I wrap the horns with sound dampening mat (I highly recommend it! Before the mat, the horn sounded like a metal piece when I knocked it; it sounds like a wooden piece after applying the mat) and the cabinets can help to hide the part. I disassembled everything, used rubber buffer between the horn and the cabinet, screwed the horn back on the cabinets with screw glue. I changed the gaskets of the drivers. I do not have the skills to change the veneer of the cabinet so I used wall paper. It's quite an accomplishment for me and it feels great. Now one of the crossover has some problems that I cannot identify. Sometimes I can hear the noise and it is not a perfect match to the other which I am going to address later on.

• Like 1