What Year are my Pro La Scala speakers?

Goodguy911419

Hi everyone. This is my first post in Klipsch forums and am excited to be part of your community. I recently purchased a pair of Pro La Scalas. I've placed them in my system and they sound great! I'm wondering what year they're from. I reached around and took a picture of one of the binding posts where the seriel number is. It says it's seriel number is 1532. I googled and found information about years by seriel numbers but can't find anything for such a simple seriel number as 1532. The crossover is behind a screwed panel and I'm thinking I may have to remove the panel and search for more numbering or some sort of information there. Before I do that I thought I'd ask you experts if you can help me determine what year the pair was manufactured.  Any thoughts?

Thanks kindly.

Welcome to the forum.  Older vintage Pro/Industrial speakers such as yours are very difficult if not impossible to date, simply because they do not follow the same methodology for serial numbers as the normal consumer Heritage models.  If you could post a bunch of photos including the input panels, that might help.  I doubt you will find anything behind the panels.  Good luck.

• Moderators

All I could find on LaScalas, from the work Marshall did.

3. LASCALA:

• 1963: The La Scala is designed as a portable version of the Klipschorn to be used as a P.A. system for Winthrop Rockefeller's Arkansas gubernatorial campaign. Component designations were: Woofer K-33-J (Jensen), Midrange K-400 horn and K-55-V driver (Atlas), Tweeter K-77 (Electrovoice).
  • 1966: The designation for the Type 1RC crossover network was changed to Type A. 
  • Sept 1967: Transition to the K-33-M. The records are not clear as to the origin of this driver but it is believed to be an Eminence driver with an Alnico magnet.
  • Jan 1968: Transition to The K-33-P Woofer (CTS Paducah KY)
  • 1971: The Type AA crossover network was introduced featuring Sneer diode tweeter protection.
  • 1974: K-56 mid-range driver (Electrovoice 1828) is used for a short period as a temporary replacement as the supply of K-55-V drivers was interrupted.
  • 1975: Transition to The K-33-B Woofer (CTS Brownsville TX)
  • 1975? - 1979: K-33-E (Eminence) and the K-33-B were used interchangeably.
  • 1979: The Eminence K-33-E woofer is used exclusively.
  • 1983: The Type AL crossover network was introduced incorporating steeper filter slopes for enhanced tweeter protection and smoother response in the crossover regions.
  • 1983: The Type AL-2 network was introduced to accommodate the new K-55-M mid-range driver. This Electrovoice sourced driver was essentially the same as the previous K-55-V with a smoother response.
  • 1987: The aluminum K-400 horn was replaced with the K-401 structural foam horn resulting in slightly improved distortion figures.
  • 1989: The AL-3 network was introduced to correct for a shift in the output of the K-55-M mid-range driver.
  • 2000: Electrovoice ceases production of the K-77-M and K-55-M tweeter and mid-range drivers. The search for replacement drivers and the acquisition of the EV tooling is sought. Very limited production of a few pairs occurs at the end of 2000 and the early months of 2001 using existing part stocks
  • May 2001: The Atlas PD-5VH (Current version of the previous K-55-V) is modified slightly and christened the K-55-X. The various components of the K-77-M tweeter are either retooled or sourced from the new owners of the tooling and assembled by a third party. This variant of the tweeter is designated the K-77-F. An entirely new network (AL-4) was created to accommodate these driver changes. Fusing is eliminated in favor of a polyswitch for tweeter protection. The tweeter on the La Scala was flush mounted for the first time using "Z" brackets. A metal input panel with binding posts in a bi-wire configuration replaced the traditional screw type barrier block.
  • Dec 2005: The La Scala II debuted as the first "finished" version of this model featuring a two piece veneered cabinet utilizing 1" MDF instead of the traditional 3/4" plywood. The AL-5 network was introduced to compensate for the improvement in low frequency response resulting from the change in cabinet construction. The HF and LF cabinets stacked together using thick rubber isolating spacers. Finish variants were  reduced from 6 to 3.
  • April 2006: The horn portion of the K-77-F tweeter was re-tooled to include a recessed flange eliminating the need for the separate "Z" bracket and attachment rivets, the new designation is the K-77-D. This also allowed the updating of pre-Z bracket La Scala’s (prior to May 2001) to flush tweeter status without motor board modification.
  • 2008+: There have been a number of new versions produced, and Klipsch has transitioned the crossovers to a more modern design. For information on the recent changes, please go to the website (Klipsch.com) for product information.

I tried Jimjimbo but I’m at my limit for file size of photos. Even at a low file size the site won’t let me upload. It’s max is 2mb’s my files are less than that but when adding my first two pics it puts me past the threshold. :(

Also this might help, the mids are K-55-v and tweeters are K-77. Seriel  #’ s 108275 and 97999 respectively 

Edited by Goodguy911419

@Goodguy911419 Those look great!  Wow!  Not everybody likes that industrial look, but I do and I'm sure @jimjimbo does.  I love the aluminum trim.

The traditional problem with industrial LS is they are usually well used and well worn.  Yours look to be in great shape.  You also lucked out with the highly desirable Type AA crossover.   What's not to like?   😎

Welcome to the Klipsch forums.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Goodguy911419 said:

Thanks yes the cabinets are in excellent shape! No dings! I think they look great.

Adding to the info @dtel posted directly upstream ^^^ the Type AL crossovers were introduced in 1983.  Given your label with the 1980 printed on it  (I had wrong info) and your Type AA's which were discontinued 1982 that means your LSI (La Scala Industrial)  was born between 1980 and 1982.  Those should be really nice speakers to listen to.

Each driver has an EIA date code.  A tweeter might have "824 7712" .  That means Electrovoice, 12th week of 1977.  67 is Eminence and 795 is Atlas.  They can help bracket the production date. 

So can configuration.  I'll predict yours are from the late '70s with spring-terminal K-55-V squawkers and round magnet K-77 tweeters.  The 150 watt rating for the woofer indicates a K-33 woofer.  If it has a square magnet, it is pre-'82.  If you have square magnet tweeters that means after 1979.  Solder terminal K-55-Vs were used in 1981 and maybe a little in 1980 and very early 1982.   The crossover should be a Type AA.  Pop some screws and see what you have. 

• Like 1