Wiring for HT question.

Foxman

Currently the way my HT is set up is, I am running the HDMI from my Blue Ray and Tivo to the TV and running the optical out from the TV to the Rotel Pre-Amp. The reason why is because the RSP-1066 Rotel Pre-Amp was pre-HDMI. I know this causes less surround sound for movies and music and I am hopeful someone can suggest another/better way. My Blue Ray does not have audio out, while the Tivo unit probably does.

So, how can I maximize this without just ditching the pre-amp and starting over. I assume that there is some way to bring a HDMI into a box and have it come out too audio and video cables, but my TV does not have much in the way of video inputs outside of HDMI... gotta love trying to mix new and old tech. As I write this I am thinking I am just stuck until I am able to get a newer pre-amp.

If it matters, my Blue-ray doubles as my CD player, which runs to the TV, or I have a Denon 2930 for multichannel music that I use for SACD and can use as a CD player running directly to the pre-amp.

Personally, I think the way you have it now is probably the way I would do it, too, unless you're changing out to something new in the future.  I don't do surround anymore and, in my upstairs music room, I feed the HDMI's to the TV then the optical out to a DAC that goes to an older Carver C-1 preamp so movies, games, etc., sound better than just the TV.  I did wire to do a basic 5.1 surround which I might do at some point but just got tired of all the BS that goes with all the new iterations of A/V surround, etc.  I spent about 25 years in that industry until 2009.  I personally could care less about Dolby Atmos or whatever the flavor of the month is for the companies to get people to buy more stuff.  

One of the great things about a forum is, even without specific suggestions answers can appear through questions.

”what Blue Ray player are you using?” @wuzzzer that question caused me to realize the issue is with the blue ray. A Sony UDP XM8002 solves my problem because it has coaxle out and plays multichannel music for $249.00. Since my TiVo has both an optical and a mini audio plug, I can run it into the Rotel and so for $249 problem is solved. Thanks guys. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Foxman said:

One of the great things about a forum is, even without specific suggestions answers can appear through questions.

”what Blue Ray player are you using?” @wuzzzer that question caused me to realize the issue is with the blue ray. A Sony UDP XM8002 solves my problem because it has coaxle out and plays multichannel music for $249.00. Since my TiVo has both an optical and a mini audio plug, I can run it into the Rotel and so for $249 problem is solved. Thanks guys. 

I asked because I'm in the same boat as you, using a 2003 Sony STR-DA5000ES receiver with no hdmi.  My Sony Blu-ray player has coaxial out for audio.  I run that to my receiver and hdmi from it to my TV.  Sounds fantastic!

A lot of TVs only output 2 channel audio through their optical digital output regardless of the signal that's sent to them. 

There are also boxes called hdmi audio extractors that will split the audio signal from hdmi into optical digital with a second output of video to your TV for clowns like us.  😁

• Thanks 1