Heresy speakers magnify bad vinyl track?

MeloManiac

Last night I was listening to Saint Germain's 'Sure Thing', the first track on side C of the double vinyl album Tourist. In the right channel there was obvious, annoying continuous 'noise' in the high frequencies. First I thought it was dust, so I cleaned the record. No effect. Then started narrowing down to the cause. First I checked all of the wiring. Perhaps my Marantz amp caused it, so I hooked up my tube amp. Same problem. I swapped channels, and the noise moved to the other channel of my set of Heresies. So the amps and the speakers are not to blame. The bizarre thing is that it is only that specific track. The next track of side C is ok, and so is side D, A and B. All my other albums play fine. Is the Project turntable to blame? Why only that one track, then? I'm mystified. 

In another room, I have my old (real vintage) Onkyo stereo with turntable, and there, the issue is hardly noticable...

I've come to the conclusion that this track is 'bad' and that the highly sensitive Heresy speakers magnify the issue. Could that be the plausible explanation?

EDIT: I 've compared with 'Sure Thing' on Spotify, and I can hear the 'noise' there as well, but hardly noticable. I think the digital conversion has filtered it out, while the artist put it there on purpose.

Or, the less-flat-response of the cart over digital happens to have a slight peak (or resonance) coincide "nicely" with that frequency range?  I'm not dissin' your unknown-to-me setup, just stating the likeliest possibility as I see it.

When you say you swapped channels, that was at the phono preamp input?  Just wondering.

• Like 1

I played that track from Qobuz. It's early here so I can't really crank it up but it sounds great.  I don't hear any distortion but the right channel has a funky-bass-finger-pluck thing going on.  I wonder if it is bouncing your cart around - i.e. a hot groove.  Sounds great BTW - not too familiar with their music.

edit: Qobuz has the remastered hi-res version from 2012, so the other possibility is that any distortion in your version was fixed in the Qobuz version.

5 hours ago, polizzio said:

@ILI Thanks so much for the St Germain lead. I'm really liking the Tourist. Any other specific St Germain album you would recommend as your favorite?

I'm gonna put Marc Moulan on Spotify right now.

Tourist is my favourite album. There's an old album, Boulevard (1995), and a recent one St Germain (2015), which isn't bad either. All his albums sound really good on Klipsch speakers...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...