Conversion of Mini DV to Digital

USNRET

18 years ago when my son was getting ready to view the world my wife wanted a video recorder; I bought a Sony GL-1 and recorded about 40 tapes.
I tripped over the digital cable and broke the camera's digital out port. It seemed overly expensive to have the board replaced so it was tossed.
Now the wife wants those tapes digitized for viewing. The cost is several hundred dollars so I am looking for some way to transfer the files to my computer. The "players" I find are way too much for a one time us.

Ideas? 

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 6:07 PM, USNRET said:

18 years ago when my son was getting ready to view the world my wife wanted a video recorder; I bought a Sony GL-1 and recorded about 40 tapes.
I tripped over the digital cable and broke the camera's digital out port. It seemed overly expensive to have the board replaced so it was tossed.
Now the wife wants those tapes digitized for viewing. The cost is several hundred dollars so I am looking for some way to transfer the files to my computer. The "players" I find are way too much for a one time us.

Ideas? 

What strange timing. I have very little knowledge about Digital Video Recorders. But bought one a while back thinking I needed a "cam corder". I was just cleaning out my closet of valuable "stuff" I can't bring myself to part with. This is my year to truly clean house. It has probably been used for less than 5 hours or recording.

I have a Sony DCR-TVR120. Does that by chance fit your needs? I know there are several different formats, so no idea if it will work for you. A quick ebay search and mine is just like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-DCR-TRV120-Digital8-HI8-8mm-Video8-HI-8-Camcorder-VCR-Player-Video-Transfer-/123972069639?hash=item1cdd4fa907%3Ag%3A7SkAAOSwT8ZdS71N&nma=true&si=5geGYBem1UXr3sT76sJasYlbju4%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

If it is what you need (it has a port labeled "DV In/Out") I'll send it to you and you can do whatever transfers you want then you can send it back to me. You will only be out the cost of return shipping.

Maybe others, more knowing, can tell us if this will work for your tapes. I have the unit itself, and can probably dig up some cables for it. I can't imagine I would have misplaced the power cord, but right now I just dug out the hand held unit.

@USNRET

Mini-DV is certainly different from Hi8.

Mike, check with Walmart. They have a service to convert them.

How many tapes do you have, or how much running time for the tapes you have?

https://www.dvdwalmart.com/services-and-pricing/videotape-transfer

The first 30 minutes is $16, and drops to $7+ for more. That is really a pretty good rate. Especially when you consider they are played back in real time.

Bruce

@Marvel Bruce, I have 34 tapes and I THINK they are 60 minute tapes but not sure. One issue I have is not knowing if the tape video quality is still good enough or has degraded to a point I would get nothing. I have found the cost, assuming the charge is per cartridge length not actual content time) runs between $350-$550. May try to buy a used camera.

1 hour ago, USNRET said:

May try to buy a used camera.

Or a player... That should be cheaper.

You have way more time than money! I imported a bunch of tapes from a GL1.. the real problem is time. A 60 minute tape will take you longer than 60 minutes, doing the import and then cleaning up the ends and getting them back to DVDs.

If you get something, if you still have a blank tape, I would try some video before you put one of your tapes in it. I would hate for it to eat a tape.

Do you already have hardware/software to handle the import?