Lets move the wall she said

Foxman

It all sounded good at the time. Take out a wall, move another 2'. I'm thinking the living room/HT room is going to need to produce much more pressure. So, I sell the RF-7's, RC-7, RS-7's, and an SVS 20-39PC Plus in favor of what ended up being some Cornwall 3's, (*EDIT: Was Cornwall 3 "B"
 Stock until the freight company damaged them. Since the CW 3's were then gone, plan B was the Forte 3's) a home made center from Heresy components, CDT5800 C2's in ceiling speakers and dual SVS SB3000's. In the below pics you get to see how great it all doesn't look. But in my mind it looks fantastic and sounds even better. Man will this ever end?

IMG_3760.jpg

IMG_3775.jpg

IMG_3777.jpg

• Like 2

My 2 primary concerns going in are how the change in the room size will impact the system sound and secondly, I am not 100% sure, but reasonably sure that the popcorn ceiling provided some sound deadening. Between taking down popcorn ceiling and transitioning from carpet to hardwoods, the amount of hard surfaces has increased exponentially in the listening space. Perhaps more than any other concern is, how the furniture and hopefully the rug that will end up covering much of the living room floor will reduce the impact of all the hard surfaces.

Those pictures bring back memories of when I gutted the house a few years back.  The electrical hanging from the ceiling and out of the wall are priceless.  I wouldn't worry about how the sound is going to be impacted until you are done and have everything in there.  When you get to that point it's just a matter of taking measurements and treating the room and putting whatever EQ you need to make things sound as good as they can.   

• Like 1

As long as it keeps you busy while it's muddy outside! You opened the kitchen to the den? That fridge looks exactly like my black LG and it makes some strange noises with the linear compressor. CWs can make pressure, always liked my L & R spread as far as possible in any room. SVS SB3000 can pressurize too (two)! Upholstered furniture can help and also can block, you two will figure that out after the cleanup I'd bet! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Those pictures bring back memories of when I gutted the house a few years back.  The electrical hanging from the ceiling and out of the wall are priceless.  I wouldn't worry about how the sound is going to be impacted until you are done and have everything in there.  When you get to that point it's just a matter of taking measurements and treating the room and putting whatever EQ you need to make things sound as good as they can.   

I have never been an EQ guy, but that might have to change. We'll see how it all shakes out in the end. For those interested, since I am in the middle of the state of NC, if/when this all gets finished, I'd love to host a gathering.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

As long as it keeps you busy while it's muddy outside! You opened the kitchen to the den? That fridge looks exactly like my black LG and it makes some strange noises with the linear compressor. CWs can make pressure, always liked my L & R spread as far as possible in any room. SVS SB3000 can pressurize too (two)! Upholstered furniture can help and also can block, you two will figure that out after the cleanup I'd bet! 

Yeah its a muddy mess outside for sure. I know we need the rain, but good grief. That fridge is a pain. Ours is a Samsung and the ice maker stopped working a year and a half ago. So being cheap, I tried the youtube video route to fix it, but it is way more complicated than I can do, so we buy bagged ice from sheets since neither of us use much ice, its not worth paying someone to fix it.

The wall the CW's are going to be on is 13' wide, so there will be some separation, but probably not as big a room as some others. The wall the couch is on is approximately 16' from the wall that the system is on, so I anticipate angling them some, but shouldn't need to do a sharp angle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Foxman said:

I have never been an EQ guy, but that might have to change. We'll see how it all shakes out in the end. For those interested, since I am in the middle of the state of NC, if/when this all gets finished, I'd love to host a gathering.

Where are you located?  I worked NC/SC/Va/Ga for quite a few years and ran all the roads at one time or another.  Taking some basic measurements will tell you what you've got going on in the room and allow you to treat the room first and then see if there's still anything that needs to be EQ'd but in the end, you'll adjust things to your taste, regardless of what you're measuring.  All it does is help identify what's really going on as opposed to what we sometimes think is going on.  

This should make you feel better about your remodeling.  LOL

Ceilings Coming Down.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Where are you located?  I worked NC/SC/Va/Ga for quite a few years and ran all the roads at one time or another.  Taking some basic measurements will tell you what you've got going on in the room and allow you to treat the room first and then see if there's still anything that needs to be EQ'd but in the end, you'll adjust things to your taste, regardless of what you're measuring.  All it does is help identify what's really going on as opposed to what we sometimes think is going on.  

This should make you feel better about your remodeling.  LOL

Ceilings Coming Down.JPG

Hey Pete....bet that was fun to clean up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Just seen this, #1   I don't know your wife but I like the way she thinks. I would guess it will definitely sound better and it surely looks better opened up. IMO

Nice choice of speakers also. :emotion-21:  nice work

• Like 1

Thanks guys. With the paint trimming and the carpet people coming to put down new carpet tomorrow, our hands are full. As much as I'd like the take the new stuff for a run through, I am having to exhaust my patience muscle. Hopefully by Thursday I can begin to dig out all of the gear and begin the fun of connecting and playing around. If nothing else, I really want it all together with the TV mounted to watch my Chiefs Sunday. 1st time since I wore a diaper. 

• Like 1