Lets move the wall she said

Foxman

• Moderators
On 2/2/2020 at 7:45 AM, Foxman said:

I just couldn’t wait another moment to see my new speakers even though we’re not ready for everything. Man they look nice in this space. 

They do look nice, don't blame you I would have done the same, had a chance to plug them in ? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dtel said:

They do look nice, don't blame you I would have done the same, had a chance to plug them in ? 

Actually just this weekend. I’m bringing some things in and cleaning with a little concert going on. Wow I had forgotten how much bass Pink Floyd’s Pulse has in it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, dtel said:

Yes, and it looks good also, if nothing is in the way they could be spread out a little more ?

Nothing in the way per se. I have 18"–24" on either side. I really havent given it a ton of thought, but, I might tinker and see what the differences are. Funny thing with the Forte to me is, most of the reviewers talk about how critical placement is and when it is right it is amazing. I snagged some Forte 2's last year, plopped them into about the same spot and never gave them so much as a nudge, they blew me away and proved to sound better to me than the RF-7's I owned for 17 years. These 3's are even more detailed than the 2's and haven't touched them once I set them in place. I am either just that lucky, this spot is just that spot, or, they just aren't that sensitive. One way or the other, I love them.

On 2/26/2020 at 2:52 PM, flatgrass said:

Russ -

Any specifics or possible build thread on the center?  The form looks to incorporate nicely.

@MC39693

Here is the specs off of the Crites website: https://critesspeakers.com/csc-1-center-channel-speake.html

Dimensions are: Width 34 inches, Height 10 1/2 inches, Depth 10 1/2 inches.  

Weight is 48 pounds.  Construction is 3/4 inch Russian Birch void free plywood. Bass Reflex with two 2 inch ports.

Frequency Response 80 to 18khz plus or minus 4db.

Nominal Impedance about 6 ohms.

Crossover frequency 2000hz.  Power Handling over 100 watts.  Sensitivity 98db at 1 watt/1meter

Components:  2 Faital 8FE200 Woofers, Selenium D220TI 8 ohm driver, Faital LTH102 Tractrix horn.

The speaker grill is sold separate but does not include the grill cloth, also sold separate and I have both, I just haven't done anything with it yet. It is a raw plywood cabinet. I will have mine veneered and stained to match the natural Cherry Forte as close as I can. I have a friend that does veneer, and I have some stain.

This is similar in size to the RC-7 center channel by Klipsch, but where as the RC-7 is a perfect match for the reference line, the CSC-1 is a perfect match (somehow) for the Heritage or at the very least, for the Forte speakers. I traded my RC-7 when I switched to the Forte because the difference in Timbre bugged me quite a bit. Now, your miles may vary on this as I learned both my wife and my son had no idea what I meant when I pointed out the difference. But, they both acknowledge the superior sound quality we now have. I have owned this center for about a week and have tried to consume as much content, surround sound music, Blue Ray movies and network television, in order to gauge the timbre and overall sound and I can say that I like the speaker more today than last Saturday as I have gotten it more and more adjusted to the system.

My 3 reservations were the overall lack of any discussion about this speaker, although I have found some, there is little info. Secondly, I really wasn't sure a 2 way speaker would give me what I wanted for vocal reproduction and overall sound quality. 3, the 6 ohm thing bugged me because I have never had anything beside an 8 ohm speaker in my home theater system and was unsure what difference it would make.

Given the fact I knew where I had been with center channel speakers, and it wasn't acceptable, I knew I had to move in another direction. Absent any other viable alternatives, after speaking with Mr. Crites, I decided on the spot to roll the dice and I couldn't be more satisfied. He assured me that while not hearing the CSC-1 with Forte 3's, they were a great match with the 2's. Second, I had to bite the bullet with the 2 way thing. I had that with the RC-7 for 17 years and it is what it is, there are going to be bass limitations, but vocally, it is spot on the money and the timbre match is fantastic.... though I have no idea how. Credit to Mr. Crites and his team. 3rd, the 6 ohm thing is not a big deal. I had to adjust the output by about 6 ticks and it perfectly blends. I could hear the timbre difference from the 7 compared to the Forte from a mile away. I have sat on the floor between this center and a Forte about a foot away and cannot hear an appreciable difference.

I should add this and I apologize for not stating it. I had been planning on building a center from a Heresy. The issue of size became unavoidable. I finally submitted to that reality and that is what led me to the solution with the CSC-1. I knew I could make the center and it would be fantastic using the Heresy, but I also knew that no matter how I configured it, my bride would not be satisfied with the height of it. It is just not worth the disagreement to stand firm on that. Out of respect to her and her wishes, this solution became a win/win as we each gave a little and got a lot.

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 2/28/2020 at 11:51 AM, Foxman said:

Nothing in the way per se. I have 18"–24" on either side. I really havent given it a ton of thought, but, I might tinker and see what the differences are. Funny thing with the Forte to me is, most of the reviewers talk about how critical placement is and when it is right it is amazing.

I was just wondering, if it's no better you could just put them back, who knows but it's free to try. I never found them to be really critical about placement but still sound great. 

On 2/28/2020 at 11:51 AM, Foxman said:

These 3's are even more detailed than the 2's and haven't touched them once I set them in place. I am either just that lucky, this spot is just that spot, or, they just aren't that sensitive. One way or the other, I love them.

Yes to me they are much more detailed. For HT I use Forte's, the 3 model for mains and a 2 version for a center. One day someone asked if I tried one of the 3's as the center just to hear the difference, I had not so we switched one to center. I was quite surprised how much better the center sounded, not quite a side by side comparison but easy to hear. One day I need a single to use as a center but there not cheap so I wait. But it does sound good with them as mains with the 2 as a center and three 2's across the back, all Forte's and it sounds great and none of them are in ideal positions.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This thread is a great inspiration to me. We are in the process of rebuilding our home after a fire and I can really relate to your anticipation of getting everything complete so you can get those new speakers set up in their new home and get to listening!

The first two pictures show the future home of my Forte llls. Can't wait!

Framing 2.jpg

Framing 3.jpg

Demo.jpg

Edited by CWelsh
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 12:22 PM, CWelsh said:

This thread is a great inspiration to me. We are in the process of rebuilding our home after a fire and I can really relate to your anticipation of getting everything complete so you can get those new speakers set up in their new home and get to listening!

The first two pictures show the future home of my Forte llls. Can't wait!

Framing 3.jpg

looking real good

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2020 at 6:07 PM, Ceptorman said:

Here’s the fireplace/mantle I built 

That would be a mantel, or a mantelpiece.  "Mantle" is a cloak or similar piece of clothing.  There's also the geological mantle, which is below the crust of the Earth.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
8 minutes ago, CarpenterPope said:

Hailing from Winston-Salem NC

living in durham

building recording studios for the past 8 years. Went out on my own, just doing remodels recently….. let’s brainstorm 

loving my new 5’s

Well yeah, let's hear about and or see some of the studios. 

• Thanks 1