41 minutes ago, Audio Flynn said:

Although I am only using the COAX and OPT inputs of my Topping D70, it is the best DAC of 7 I have owned in the past 18 years.

Vocal Harmonies, acoustic guitar, snare, ride cymbal, Piano attack, massed strings / brass from orchestra. All my toughest challenges to PCM 16 / 44 digital seem to be no issue for this DAC.

I interviewed for a position with Asahi Kasai AKM microdevices in recent months and was impressed by the company. I wanted to make sure I had the best in AK chips in the new DAC. The implementation of the two AK4497 chips was beyond my expectations. For $ 550 USD with BT ten years ago you could not gfet these functions and would have had to spend at least 4 times this much on a DAC of comparable performance.

On the down side owners manual is too small and does not address BT pairing. I have not tried USB yet. Having too much fun playing all my CDs again.

For example Simon and garfunkle early LP glockenspiel or similar instrument sounded more cohesive in the soundstage instead of just background filler.

Did some reading on that unit since I saw it mentioned and realizing you were to get it.

The 2 chips in the DAC appears to make a difference. Since others and yourself posting

positive results, cannot think

not recommendable, albeit the manual appears lacking in the details. Thanks

On 1/19/2020 at 1:47 PM, 314carpenter said:

There is no debate to be had there. Everyone should now be aware of the fact that WiFi is better SQ over BT. The Zen Blue series is all about lower cost, higher performance. For those that want higher SQ than BT can provide, while still maintaining an ultra low price point, check out the following link

Product Of The Year 2019:‌ Desktop Components- The Wondrous iFi ZEN‌ DAC Headphone Amp/DAC Combo Review!

stretching the budget and you could have a better dac with this...

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/audiolab-6000n-play

available here...

https://hifiheaven.net/shop/Audiolab-6000N-Play-Wireless-Audio-Streaming-Player-Black

I thought so too. Streaming can be confusing but it doesn't have to be. So, if you have a DAC you like it's simple to add a wifi device like the Arcam rPlay or Bluenode and get excellent SQ without breaking the bank. Both of these units have a built in DAC. I've listened to the Arcam w/o my DAC. The DAC in the units is quite good but I prefer using my MHDT Orchid.

I rekindled my audio interest and lo and behold "What is this thing I can hook up to my stereo?"  I bought a Blue Dento  $95 on Amazon.  It has all the up to date BT. It sounded better than my 20 yr old Rotel CD player.  That got put on the shelf. Then I was in an audio shop and told to try Cat 6 from my router to the streamer.  Can't do that with Blue Dento so I bought a Bluesound Node 2i.  Definitely better sound.  The Amazon ap is better but you can run any streaming service through the Bluesound ap.  So with further reading most say a stand alone DAC is another leap.  I have now been looking around.  Since digital is still a moving target and has improved, I want to buy new so here is summary of costs and findings:

Blue Dento $95.  I will sell mine if you want it.

Bluesound Node 2i  streamer 419 refurbished which I bought.  549 new

Sabaj D5 DAC Latest and greatest chip.  Chinese company but great reviews for sound.  About 470

Topping DX7 has same greatest chip. 

MME costs more and has DSP but good value

Schiit Modi 3 49 dollars

Schiit Modi multibit 249. 

Schiit makes a lot of good DAC

I will probably buy the Sabaj.  There seems to be a sale on them right now. 

I grabbed the Schitt Modi 3. So far its ok. Using Amazon Music Hd (90 day free trial) I am able to get 24bit 48kHz from phone usb. Using Firestick and optical out from tv i get 16bit at 48kHz. I think the micro usb is my limit for the phone. Perhaps a tablet with usb-c would get me the full 24/96. Not sure but i can't seem to find any specs on the limitations of audio on fire stick. It seems any wireless streaming device will be limited to dvd quality so i will research a media streamer that uses ethernet. I need one anyway because i have decided to get rid of cable, the bill went up for the last time.