Need help ceiling mounting Klipsch rp-500sa speakers

--udson

I have 4 Klipsch RP-500SA speakers coming to do a 5.2.4 setup with my RF7 Reference ii system. They have one keyhole on the back, I believe. They weigh 8 pounds.

This is for Dolby Atmos. I can install them as front and back height speakers, or fire the rear ones upward to bounce sound off the ceiling, but I know that is least ideal. I would love to grab control of the buggers with ceiling mounts. But I am pulling my teeth out trying to find ceiling mounts for speakers that have only keyholes (no threaded holes).

Can anyone throw me a bone?

Thanks!

@HenrikTJ

Hi Henrik, My user name used to be ][udson on here. Not sure when they axed showing special characters. I joined over a decade ago. It's Hudson. 😃

Thanks a lot. That's the product I came to through all of my reading. It looks like it will support the ten pounds. But will I be able to get firm control over speaker position? It feels like they would just dangle loosely.

I was wondering if I couldn't get a tight flush mount with the double headed Bear Claw screws I ordered. But I'd worry about them falling after time through vibration...

Hudson

51DmgyeR-VL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

On 1/12/2020 at 9:52 PM, --udson said:

I have 4 Klipsch RP-500SA speakers coming to do a 5.2.4 setup with my RF7 Reference ii system. They have one keyhole on the back, I believe. They weigh 8 pounds.

This is for Dolby Atmos. I can install them as front and back height speakers, or fire the rear ones upward to bounce sound off the ceiling, but I know that is least ideal. I would love to grab control of the buggers with ceiling mounts. But I am pulling my teeth out trying to find ceiling mounts for speakers that have only keyholes (no threaded holes).

Can anyone throw me a bone?

Thanks!

According to Dolby speaker placement guide (https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf), you can use front and rear heights. (vs. overhead).  They have a drawing for the 7.1.6 (with front and rear height in addition to top middle overhead) you can use for guideline of placement.

I think using RP-500SA mounted in front and rear walls is better than mounting them on the ceiling as that's what they're designed for.  May not have as much dispersion as a ceiling mounted speaker have.

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 2.48.38 PM.png

• 7 months later...

I also just ordered the 500SA and running into your same exact problems. I think the keyhole is just a blank keyhole with no threading. I wish they made it with a key hole and the threaded part as an Option behind the keyhole. 

I ordered a mount off amazon that was made for a threaded screw. My idea is to see if I can get a small nut back in the keyhole and thread the screw in to catch and hold it. Of course this is all an idea and If the nut cant fit back there I just wasted money on useless mounts lol. 

I’m also in between on placement positions. Either front heights or overhead heights (but off to the wall, my space is a perfect square room). 

I would not feel safe ceiling mounting these with that screw you posted. I think they would dangle there and possibly vibrate unless you can rig something that can hold the screw in. Also for the the same reasons @Univek stated.