RP-8000F and Denon PMA-60 Class-D Amp

Dennis.81

Hi there!

I am new here and happy so see that much content here from you guy!

Unlucky i do not have a store oder audio-hifi-dealer near by, so i just watch some speaker reviews on yt.

The RP-8000F got some good reviews and it seems to be onest ones.

So bought them, but they are still on shipping.

I own a small Denon Class-D Amp with low Power and i am very unsure if this will sound good together.

What do you think? Am i in danger of killing it by clipping?

Or doesn't sound well?

AMP Specs:

Denon PMA-60

8 Ohm (20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.07% Klirr) 25W (1kHz)

4 Ohm (1 kHz, 0.7% Klirr) 50 W

Speaker Specs:

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 32-25kHz +/- 3dB

SENSITIVITY 98dB @ 2.83V / 1m

POWER HANDLING (CONT/PEAK)150/600

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 Ohms Compatible

17 hours ago, Dennis.81 said:

Hi there!

I own a small Denon Class-D Amp with low Power and i am very unsure if this will sound good together.

What do you think? Am i in danger of killing it by clipping?

AMP Specs:

Denon PMA-60

8 Ohm (20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.07% Klirr) 25W (1kHz)

4 Ohm (1 kHz, 0.7% Klirr) 50 W

Very possible since the two woofers will require some power to likely make you happy.  I also don't like it when products mention 1Khz as the wattage spec.

Start with the Denon and upgrade later just remember any sound of stress, particularly if you are trying to push bass heavy information, turn it down or you will likely cause yourself some trouble.

• Like 2

The good news:

The postman arrived.

The bad news:

He only brought one. 😒

The other one will come tomorrow, ... perhaps.

I made a picture of my living room. It is not that big i think. To the right there is a small wall, but it is open to the kitchen at the ends.

You can also see my old passive studio monitors (behringer b2031p).

If you re interested i can try to make a sound-video to compare the old behringer with the new klipsch.

I do not have a prof. mic, but i could give it a try, with the sennheiser mke 440 stereo mic.

I already thought about new gear if the denon pma 60 will not make me happy.

Most of the time i will listen to spotify streams. I dont like that big amps, so it is hard to finde something i can hide.

Btw. what is it about the 1Khz as the wattage spec?!

20200115_225146.jpg

Edited by Dennis.81
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dennis.81 said:

It's much simpler to work with only one frequency at a time, thus it's a way to be able to claim a higher power rating over what it would be with more complex signals.

It could be valid to do it that way, if everyone did it.  But since it isn't representative of normal usage, most manufacturers don't do so.  A general feeling is that there must be something to hide when that method is used. 

2 hours ago, Dennis.81 said:

If you re interested i can try to make a sound-video to compare the old behringer with the new klipsch.

I do not have a prof. mic, but i could give it a try, with the sennheiser mke 440 stereo mic.

What is the point? You make a video and we watch it listening to the audio on "our" speakers, or some people via their smart phone. Its not indicative of your speakers sonic quality or abilities.

It's like a guy raving about the sound of the new Cornwall IV in a review video on YouTube and he's watching on his phone, or listening to the audio on his desktop speakers or his current home theater system. 

Doesn't make any sense to me. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but think about it.

3 hours ago, Dennis.81 said:

Most of the time i will listen to spotify streams. I dont like that big amps, so it is hard to finde something i can hide.

Doesn't need to be big.  Quality and quantity.  https://wyred4sound.com/products/integrated-amps/mint

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dennis.81 said:

The good news:

The postman arrived.

The bad news:

He only brought one. 😒

The other one will come tomorrow, ... perhaps.

I made a picture of my living room. It is not that big i think. To the right there is a small wall, but it is open to the kitchen at the ends.

You can also see my old passive studio monitors (behringer b2031p).

20200115_225146.jpg

Sort of think you will be happy.

Happy enough is another question.

Give it some time...

4 hours ago, glens said:

NAD M10.

That's a $3,000 amp. The Denon PMA-60 is $500.

I could suggest a Leben CS600 tube amp, which is $5,300. But I won't. Or Luxman's top model, which costs even more. I'm sure they 'll sound better.

But the Denon PMA-60 is a very nice machine, pretty high end  with beautiful looks and lots of versatility. It will sound amazing with your klipsch speakers in your room. Wait and see.

1 hour ago, ILI said:

That's a $3,000 amp. The Denon PMA-60 is $500.

I could suggest a Leben CS600 tube amp, which is $5,300. But I won't.

Did he say anything about cost?  Must've missed that.  I recall "small form factor" which is why my suggestion.  The NAD C338 is not as, but still somewhat diminutive.  I love mine.  Never been a fan of Denon.

2 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Thought it was to be "Small"?

Yes, my bad. I was weary when I posted (early this morning). Glen is right........ NAD M10. Four times the power of his current Denon. And very clean power at that.

Only drawback i see for the M10 is no remote control, all functions must be completed via the unit's touch panel display.

One owner/reviewer does speak of an iphone app to control the unit tho. 

1 hour ago, polizzio said:

Yes, my bad. I was weary when I posted (early this morning). Glen is right........ NAD M10. Four times the power of his current Denon. And very clean power at that.

Only drawback i see for the M10 is no remote control, all functions must be completed via the unit's touch panel display.

One owner/reviewer does speak of an iphone app to control the unit tho. 

Wyred4Sound Mint, Schiit Audio, and a bunch of others for sure, somewhat more inexpensive.

• 1 month later...

Listening music is wonderfull again!

I lov my RP8000f🥰

... and i still have my low powered Denon PMA-60 with untamed 25 wpc @ 8 ohms. 😂

have tried the hyped BLUESOUND POWERNODE 2i with 55 wpc @ 8 ohms for 3 weeks, now. But i was disappointed.

IMO the denon sounds better in soundstage, more natural voices and the bass is more or less equal.

i have to say that i don't listen to music so loud that my neighbours think that a party is going on here.

especially with normal room volume the difference is even bigger.

than i got some problems after a firmware update with the powernode 2i. the amp is designed to be always on and when no sound is playing, i here electric noice from the tweeters.

perhaps my unit was not okay, but i learned that there is no need to upgrade to more power.

however my best musical upgrade still was the RP8000F and the Allo USBbride Signature + Shanti psu.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2020 at 5:21 PM, Dennis.81 said:

hyped BLUESOUND POWERNODE 2i

I've read negative experiences with the Node 2i too. I was first fascinated by it too, but lately, I have learned that there are better, cheaper alternatives out there. Bluesound is hyped and has a global distribution. They are Canadian, but have a global distribution network, even here in Europe. Marketing, design and ads add to the price.

Enjoy your new speakers. 

I still enjoy my Denon RCD-M41DAB + Klipsch RP160M speakers, and these are a lot smaller than your RP8000F speakers. They are in quite a large living room and the can blow the tiles off the room... Never turned the amp higher than 12o'clock.