Icepower buffer?

NBPK402

I have Icepower amp modules, and when we used them in my old setup we just installed them in a case. now we are building 2 amos, and a lit if people say I need to run buffers because of the variable impedance of the modules.

Does anyone know how I would know if they are needed? If they are where can I buy some already made?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have the 50asx2 in unbalanced.. From what I have read the input impedance drops quite a bit at the high frequencies, and they say you need an input buffer board. I have seen a lot of them for sale, and even plans, but I would like to buy one already built, and I have no idea which ones would be good either..

If it makes a favorable improvement, then I will look at getting 10 more for the 10nchannel DIY amp my friend is building for me. In that amp we have all of the amps in bridged/balanced mode. We have the 50asx2btl, and the 125asx2 which also will be bridged/balanced.

I am hoping someone here will have experience with them, so I can find out how to know if I even need them. They will be driven by Xilica xp4080s.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

You should go back to the specs and validate those folks claims.  I thought the icepower amps had a reasonable input impedance from the specs but are not the easiest to drive as they need the full 3.6+ volts (seems even more to me) to push them to full output.  This leaves a number of pre-amps out because they can't drive the amps.  

• Like 1

Is there some reason you cannot ask the manufacturer? 
These are not meant to be sold to the public. They are meant for OEM only. Parts Express is the only legit dealer I know of, and they do not sell buffers. Has anyone assembled a Icepower amp, and did they make or get a buffer?

41 minutes ago, Ron E said:

These are not meant to be sold to the public. They are meant for OEM only. Parts Express is the only legit dealer I know of, and they do not sell buffers. Has anyone assembled a Icepower amp, and did they make or get a buffer?

I have the original Bel Canto Ref 1000 and I believe they have the original IcePower modules without Bel Canto supplied buffers.  

D-Sonic, when using the IcePower modules did have an input buffer to make them easier to drive, particularly with tube pre-amps.  You may want to contact D-sonic or look on the forums as the difference.

Lastly, verify what B&O's specs are.  I believe their datasheets have specifics on input impedance and voltage.

This may be helpful though not your specific modules - http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/tested-wyred-4-sound-sx-1000-and-bel-canto-ref-1000-mk-ii-monoblocks/

• Like 1

I just found this...
"Re: Red Dragon Audio

Hi Cory,

I use to frequent the Lounge but don't believe in Big Dan's idea of an entry level table. It just doesn't make sense to cut so many corners on a turntable….. It won't be designed by me [https://audioshark]

Over the years i have had pretty much all class d modules in hand for testing. Some sound horrible, most sound good and only a few sound truly spectacular.

Ice Power is so wide spread with many companies selling class d amps using Ice. All the boards are essentially the same, with different wattage ratings, some with SMPS and some without, some are stereo but most Ice boards are mono. All of them have a very low input impedance of 8-12kohms. Which is fine for 90% of pre amps out there but some like tube pre amps, have a very high output impedance, which is around 2.5kohms. This can present a tough load on the amp, the down fall is rolled off bass and less bass definition.

The input buffer these companies are using, are very simple, they use JFET's or OpAmp's to raise the input impedance to a much safer level, around 40-50kohms. But the higher you go up, the more noise you'll get. Some companies have there inputs at 300kohms lol

Here at Aluminati we have used various class d boards, most recently made an amp using the Ice Power 500asp board. Fantastic amp and we have one remaining!!

Also make case solutions for nCore NC400 board. This board is for DIY only and just a few tools and a case can get you a true hi end amp.

Class D is the only way i go. The highs have such shimmer and accuracy."

Spec says input impedance is 8k ohms or greater over audio bandwidth. I would think your Yamaha AVR should drive this no problem. If you try to drive more than one input with one output you might start to have drive issues.

@Ron E You are driving these from the Xilica? Should be no problem driving from the Xilica either.

• Like 1