Adcom. Anyone here use Adcom components? Also, help me decide what to get:

kenratboy

I am getting ready to steal a 2003 Porsche 911 GT2 (so I won't have to save money for it 9.gif ) and buy some new audio gear to replace my boring, under-powered (even in my room, I have run out of power with the Sony receiver with 2 channels) Sony.

I have heard Adcom and love the sound and looks.

I am considering:

For power, this amp (Adcom GFA-5500, $890): http://www.adcom.com/amplifiers/gfa5500.htm I feel it would last well and it looks awsome (I am not a retro guy)

For preamp duty, either this (Adcom PTP-502, $475): http://www.adcom.com/tunerpreamp/gtp502.htm or a used Adcom HT preamp so I get digital in/out options.

Before we get any further, I will say a remote control for the preamp is 100% mandatory, NO EXCEPTIONS!!! My audio system is used WAY to much to not have one. I hope you understand 2.gif On any given day, I will listen to about 10 CD's, and volume, source, etc. changes occur hundreds of times a day.

Also, you see the price, that total (about $1,300 for BOTH) is as high as I want to go. In that price range, what else would you consider? I need a lot of power (sorry, no tubes, I am looking for SS for now, this is used for 8+ houes a day and is going to be turned on and off more than most vintage gear would like, you get my point?) and I am not looking for a smooth tone, but more accurate and sharp.

I LOVE McIntosh (SS stuff, for now), is there any used McIntosh amps I should consider in the $750ish range?

Any help is appreciated, I will not budge on a remote for the preamp and, don't forget my budget!!!

Thanks guys!

I don't mean to be terse, but after 1800+ posts, have you learned nothing? TUBES, especially SET, sound better than s-s with Klipsch, Deang just made that "discovery".

But if you really have to go with s-s, stick with a lower powered unit (<75 wpc). IMO, Adcom sucks, unless you have inefficient, colored-sounding speakers. Decent s-s gear for budget range is the Cambridge stuff. For mid-price- Vecteur I-4, higher priced- Electrocompaniet AW-60 amp (if you can find one).

But these still won't match what tubes can do. Budget tube gear has been discussed much: Eico, Scott, and Fisher. Find a used piece and have it refurbished. It will cream most newer lower priced tube gear ( ASL, Jolida, etc)

I just wonder when Ken will get Klipsch.

What sold me is when I listened to a $69.00 HF-12 Eico kit compared to a $1200 Yamaha amp on Chorus II's.

The Eico amp was stock at that time, and put aside the ever so slight hash and hum, that Eico didn't sound any different than the Yamaha MX-1.

In fact, the Eico did better at low levels, plus all the little things that folks notice when they listen to tubes,

Decay on cymbols, better midrange, voices, guitar, the music actually seems quieter even at higher levels.(Dynamics.)

And little or no fatigue after long listening sessions.

I also use my SVS 16/46's on SS for bottom end, you want Techno, you got it. And it's clean!

Everybody is so hung up on power, I don't get it.

My first tube "honeymoon" experience with tubes was a Marconi 45 with a breadboard amp using a Sholtz? or Hammond 1627 opt on 10" Whitely Stentorian full-range speakers.

Yeah, Yeah, this isn't much to judge anything by with all the SET circuit topologies, and from a breadboard, but that Marconi had a hypnotic mirange quality about it, sweet from top to bottom.

Microwatts to maybe 1.5 watts.

The guy with the Marconi also has/had some 90 watt vintage tube monoblocks, if one wants power.

I guess I'm in it for the sound.

A remote? Get off your ***!

Ken-

If you are thinking Mcintosh, why not look (used) at the MC 250 (50wpc x 2, about $500), the MC 2105 (50 wpc x 2, with those classic Mc blue meters, about $750), or the MC 752, (75 wpc x 2, about $700)? Especially if you end up with high efficiency Klipsch, the power is PLENTY. I would definitely buy Mc before Adcom.

If you must go Adcom, I like the older series amps vs. new (you'll save cash, too). Anything with 3 digits model # vs. 4 (GFA-545, GFA-555, GFA-565). The Adcoms have lots of power, but the Mc's have better power - very smooth for solid state.

A remote preamp from Mc will shock your wallet, so I won't go there. If you can do without the remote, maybe a preamp/tuner combo from Mc is in order.

If not for budget constraints, I would have gone with 5 channels of Mc amplification. As it is, the Outlaw does the job OK, but McIntosh makes me drool.

I better shut up - I'm thinking about this more than I should right now11.gif

OK, right now, my stereo is an appliance. It is used for all my music and computer sound listening. It is on about 8-12 hours a day, 7 days a week. No matter what speakers I get, they will be up on a shelf. This is not a reference system, this is something to hold me over until I get my own place and can really get a good rig. I prefer to hold off on the adventures of trying to find a 50 year old tube and replacing caps. until another time. SS for now, really! Some day, SET for me, but not yet.

The McIntosh MC 2105? All I can say is "Yes please!" That thing LOOKS awsome, I can't imagine how it would sound. Would the headphones be driven by the amp itself? QUESTION: The amp has gain controls, how do you set it up so the preamp (with remote control :-) ) controls the gain instead of the amp?

MC2105.jpg

As for Klipsch, as soon as my job gets stable and I get my car, then I will be getting a pair of RB-5II's. OK? Really, but I have better things to do with $600+ right now, REALLY!!!

Thanks for the help everyone!

ken, the gain from the preamp is controlled w/ the volume control. 2.gif

preamps of course also have preset level adjustment for speaker balance, as well as some, like my b&k, have db adjustments to balance the input levels from different sources.

i turn the levels on my amp all the way up. no need for them anywhere else unless something is really out of whack that can't be cured in the pre/pro.

It's all cool, Ken.

Hell, I paid for a pair of '83 Cornwalls back in September, and still haven't got the damn things home yet!

My speakers currently are some weird looking vintage little Pioneer endtable speakers.

So I'm really not lying when I say my stereo sucks worse than yours!

Ken,

I advise against Adcome,as the 5500 is a lean sounding and sterile power amp.It is also grainy and lacks finesse,and I mean this.Its a crude amp

Klipsch speakers deserve a more liquid sounding amp,or at least a smooth solid state paired with a tube preamp.Unless you will listen mostly to HT,in this case the Adcom may do.

See I use Sunfire pre/pro paired with ATI amps.For music this setup would irritate most forum members,its agressive and if the album is a mass market POP trash quality recording you will get trash,agressive trash.

For music and HT I would rather get a Sunfire amp,much much smoother and has all the power any sane and insane maniac like me could ever use.

Tubes however sound best with horn loaded speakers,its a universal fact.I cannot argue this

• 1 month later...

----------------

On 11/8/2002 2:17:24 PM Mike82 wrote:

I don't mean to be terse, but after 1800+ posts, have you learned nothing? TUBES, especially SET, sound better... IMO, Adcom sucks, unless you have inefficient, colored-sounding speakers.

I have to disagree with the adcom sucks comment...

Little late on this posting... but I disagree. ADCOM does sound good with Klipsh speakers, at least the Heresy 2's and RF7s. I own the heresy's and will shortly buy the RF7s and will be powering them with the adcom 545 and 7400. Nobody will question tubes sounding better. I've listened to my heresy's with a mcIntosh tube (power and pre) of my uncles and yes it sounds warmer - but that's a whole different budget - it better sound warmer. I've also listened to them on other ss gear (reasonably priced) (B&K, Denon, Yamaha), and the adcom sounds better in moderate priced ranges. Stereophile likes this stuff as well, and they can be snobbish. If someone wants new gear, and has a budget as I do, adcom sounds very well with klipsh (at least the heresy's and RF series - I have know idea with the full loaded horn stuff)

hey kenratboy, I have a MC-2105, and it gets damn loud. I've gotten my SF-2's up to 40 watts on it and those meters look so damn cool when they're bouncing all over the place. Nothin like concer level bob marley. I picked mine up off the used shelf at a local high end shop for about 700 bucks. if you want more info, send me an email and I will answer questions. I'd definatly take it over an adcom.