The Klipsch Audio Community
Robbie010

La Scala Clones - The Finer Details......?

Having now almost finished accumulating the drivers and horns for my La Scala clone project, I am wondering about the smaller details of the la scala, such as the internal wadding, driver/horn support brackets, crossover mounting etc.

I have no reference and online images are scant. Can anyone please comment, or better still provide images showing the internals of their La Scala and how these things are dealt with?

Thanks.

Dog house is empty.  Enjoy the cuts to make the point on the front of the horn mouth 🙂  What you see is what you get.

2 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

Dog house is empty.  Enjoy the cuts to make the point on the front of the horn mouth 🙂  What you see is what you get.

Thanks.

Yes, I have plans to buid a table saw jig to deal with the acute angle at the front of the dog house. should be fun! 😅

3 minutes ago, Robbie010 said:

Thanks.

Yes, I have plans to buiid a table saw jig to deal with the acute angle at the front of the dog house. should be fun! 😅

Post some pictures as you do this.  A great experience for everyone.

You should be able to find photos on here of most of what you mentioned. Aside from the difficult angle cuts on the doghouse the motorboard is where most of the details lie. This needs to be complete before assembly. It’s design will depend on what woofer you are using and it’s excursion. 

1 hour ago, No.4 said:

You should be able to find photos on here of most of what you mentioned. Aside from the difficult angle cuts on the doghouse the motorboats is where most of the details lie. This needs to be complete before assembly. It’s design will depend on what woofer you are using and it’s excursion. 

Thank you.

I have managed to aquire a pair of (older) Eminence Kappa 15C woofers and from what I understand these are very similar to the original Klipsch K-33. I was not aware that the motorboard would require any amendments. How would I go about making these changes??

I found these details from a web search comparing the two woofers:

RE            - K-33 - 3.39ohms                      - Kappa 3.68ohms

FS             - K-33 - 34.46Hz                         - Kappa 31Hz

LE             - K-33 - 0.96                                 - Kappa 0.88m H

MMS        - K-33 - 78.59g                            - Kappa 77g

QM           - K-33 - 7.39                                - Kappa 10.14

CMS        - K-33 - 0.2714mm/N                 - Kappa 0.35mm/N

QE            - K-33 - 0.410                              - Kappa 0.25

QT            - K-33 - 0.390                              - Kappa 0.25

VAS         - K-33 - 301.66 LTRS                  - Kappa 329.9 LTRS

XMAX      - K-33 - 8.20mm                        - Kappa 2.4mm

SD            - K-33 - 889.59cm2                   - Kappa 856.3cm2

BL            - K-33 - 11.88 TM                      - Kappa 14.7 TM

EBP          - K-33 - 84.4                               - Kappa 124

SPL          - K-33 - 96.6dB                          - Kappa 98.1dB

Wattage   - K-33 - 150rms                         - Kappa 450rms

EFF            - K-33 - 2.91%                           - Kappa ???

RMS          - K-33 - 2.3037 NS/M               - Kappa ???

Unfortunately, I'm not technical enough to really drill down in to this data and understand which of these perameters is important and which isn't!

Edited by Robbie010
woofer specs

I believe you can order spacers for the woofer probably from parts express, or you can make your own. I cut a 1/4” spacer out of MDF with my router and glued it directly to the motorboard. I believe the thickness measures slightly less than 1/4” IIRC.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, No.4 said:

I believe you can order spacers for the woofer probably from parts express, or you can make your own. I cut a 1/4” spacer out of MDF with my router and glued it directly to the motorboard. I believe the thickness measures slightly less than 1/4” IIRC.

Ah, thank you.

I tell a lie, this has been mentiond before! Someone mentioned the thick mounting gasket that the K-33 has. The Kappa drivers that I have bought have a thick gasket already that looks identical to the K-33 (see image attached). Is there an additioal gasket as well as the one attached to the driver frame?

Kappa.jpg

6 hours ago, Robbie010 said:

I have no reference and online images are scant. Can anyone please comment, or better still provide images showing the internals of their La Scala and how these things are dealt with?

These might help... Build notes from a former member (he passed away a year ago), and plans drawn up by another member.

Bruce

Build Plans.txtLaScala_correct.pdf

That short Xmax of the Kappa 15C will give you trouble.  Otherwise, they are a good match.  Perhaps it will not matter in home use, unless you like Sabbath or Zeppelin at concert levels. 

1 hour ago, JohnA said:

That short Xmax of the Kappa 15C will give you trouble.  Otherwise, they are a good match.  Perhaps it will not matter in home use, unless you like Sabbath or Zeppelin at concert levels. 

Yes, I noticed that also. I assume there are typos in those specs. There may be others (probably).

If you are crossing those mains over properly to a sub i would go Kappa 15C.

You will be OK with a smaller tube amp as well.

No sub and like it loud i would go K-33, K-43 or Crites pressed basket model.

In case it has not been mentioned run a brace across the horn mouth continuing it through the driver chamber.

813812283_Capture22.JPG.c3c3b56c95efa6e1966e2ed4a4709ea5.JPG

18 hours ago, JohnA said:

17 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

Yes, I noticed that also. I assume there are typos in those specs. There may be others (probably).

I took the Eminence Kappa data from their website, so I would assume it is correct, the datasheet says XMAX of 2.4mm with an XLIM of 11.6mm.

https://www.eminence.com/pdf/Kappa_15C.pdf

However, I cannot find any official specification data for the Klipsch K-33, only old posts and threads where it is mentioned and I noted two different XMAX figures, one of 4mm and one of 8.2mm.

47 minutes ago, Robbie010 said:

However, I cannot find any official specification data for the Klipsch K-33, only old posts and threads where it is mentioned and I noted two different XMAX figures, one of 4mm and one of 8.2mm.

Be aware that some manufacturers specify peak-to-peak xmax, while others specify zero-to-peak.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Edgar said:

Be aware that some manufacturers specify peak-to-peak xmax, while others specify zero-to-peak.

Do you know if this is the case with the K-33??

Given the rather large disparity between the listed xmax of the two drivers and the fact that I have seen two numbers quoted for the K-33 (one being roughly half the other), does it seem likely that 8.2mm is a peak to peak reading and 4mm is the correct xmax? 

I have read the specifications on dozens of other 15” woofer drivers and very few, if any have an xmax beyond around 6mm, some of which were very, very expensive. 

4 hours ago, Robbie010 said:

Do you know if this is the case with the K-33??

I do not.

Given the rather large disparity between the listed xmax of the two drivers and the fact that I have seen two numbers quoted for the K-33 (one being roughly half the other), does it seem likely that 8.2mm is a peak to peak reading and 4mm is the correct xmax? 

That was my suspicion, though, as I said, I do not know for certain.

I posted this in 2005 or so...

----

I emailed Eminence and asked for the T/S parameters for the K33-E, and got this repsonse back from them. Maybe they would send out bogus info, but that wouldn't sem to benefit them very much.

SPEC 15162
PART # K-33

RE OHMS 3.39 <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
FS HZ 34.46
LE MH 96
MMS GMS 78.59
QM 7.39 CMS
mm/N .2714
QE .410
RMS NS/M 2.3037
QT .390
VAS LTRS 301.66
XMAX MM 8.20
SD SCM BL TM 11.88
EBP 84.4
EFF % 2.91
SPL dB 96.6
Wattage 150rms

----

They may have changed a bit since then. That 15162 would be printed on the basket.

Bruce

On 1/15/2020 at 8:16 AM, Robbie010 said:

Thank you.

I have managed to aquire a pair of (older) Eminence Kappa 15C woofers and from what I understand these are very similar to the original Klipsch K-33. I was not aware that the motorboard would require any amendments. How would I go about making these changes??

I found these details from a web search comparing the two woofers:

RE            - K-33 - 3.39ohms                      - Kappa 3.68ohms

FS             - K-33 - 34.46Hz                         - Kappa 31Hz

LE             - K-33 - 0.96                                 - Kappa 0.88m H

MMS        - K-33 - 78.59g                            - Kappa 77g

QM           - K-33 - 7.39                                - Kappa 10.14

CMS        - K-33 - 0.2714mm/N                 - Kappa 0.35mm/N

QE            - K-33 - 0.410                              - Kappa 0.25

QT            - K-33 - 0.390                              - Kappa 0.25

VAS         - K-33 - 301.66 LTRS                  - Kappa 329.9 LTRS

XMAX      - K-33 - 8.20mm                        - Kappa 2.4mm

SD            - K-33 - 889.59cm2                   - Kappa 856.3cm2

BL            - K-33 - 11.88 TM                      - Kappa 14.7 TM

EBP          - K-33 - 84.4                               - Kappa 124

SPL          - K-33 - 96.6dB                          - Kappa 98.1dB

Wattage   - K-33 - 150rms                         - Kappa 450rms

EFF            - K-33 - 2.91%                           - Kappa ???

RMS          - K-33 - 2.3037 NS/M               - Kappa ???

Unfortunately, I'm not technical enough to really drill down in to this data and understand which of these perameters is important and which isn't!

did you get the details of the K43

FWIW - Eminence lists Kappa 15A (8 ohms) as having 4mm xmax vs 15C's published 2.4mm figure.  If building from scratch then the change in lowpass filter

would not cost much if any more

zm846NL.png