Changing up Belle (clone) mid horns and top sections

avguytx

I've had this thought since I first built my Belle clones about doing something different with the top section as far as the mids go.  I'm thinking of either using the Faital LTH 142 Eliptical horns or buying the Eliptrac 400 horn kit in place of the K-500's.  They would remain a 3 way since I have the CT120 tweeters and AA crossovers.  Both of the mid horns are larger, which also equates to being taller than what would fit in the stock size Belle top section.  I've thought about either just using the bass bins and making a "plate" on top and have the hid horn and CT120 attached in a time aligned manner in an open look or making new side panels that are a little taller and veneering them.  The latter would keep the stock look and I would either put the tweeter vertically beside the mid horn or it could go above it in typical fashion.

Any thoughts one way or the other?  

32 minutes ago, drboar said:

LTH-142 with a good driver would work as a two way system. Try that first with maximal baffle loadning of the horn, if needed add a tweeter.

That's just the thing...I already have quite new Crites A-55G's and CT120 tweeters so I'd rather keep them a 3-way for now.  It would take selling off all the "new" drivers just to buy a pair of horns and another pair of new drivers.  Now at some point later when other house things are finished up, that might be something I will do.  I did initially talk to Bob C about making Belle clones as a 2-way using his parts and he seemed to feel like it would work.

With your woodworking skills, you could build the tractrix 2” horns and use the midrange and tweeter speakers you have and see how you like the sound.I have a pair of Belles that are stock and I have a pair of tractrix horns that I put on top of them and used  crites a/4500 crossovers ,stock k-55v and crites ct-125 tweeters and everything sounds better to me.

1 minute ago, bkwa1959 said:

With your woodworking skills, you could build the tractrix 2” horns and use the midrange and tweeter speakers you have and see how you like the sound.I have a pair of Belles that are stock and I have a pair of tractrix horns that I put on top of them and used  crites a/4500 crossovers ,stock k-55v and crites ct-125 tweeters and everything sounds better to me.

Definitely thought about that, too, but anymore, it's a time thing.  Seems like I have less of it and what I do have is spread thin.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm using EV SM120A mid horns with A55G drivers with Beyma CP25 tweeters, passive crossover at 6KHz, and active 24dB at 400Hz to a pair of Peavey FH1 bass horns.

The EV SM120 horns are WONDERFUL with the A55G drivers: wide open and smooth. And you may be able to score them for cheap!

Edited by Rolox

• 1 year later...