RF 7 EvoTec " The queen is dead, long live the queen "

MicroMara

Phase 2: Now the old sound insulation inside the loudspeaker cabinet has been replaced by a more efficient one. This novel insulation material massively dampens air- and structure-borne sonic influences. It is only 0.3937 " thick and has been replaced in a ratio of 1:1 in terms of surface area from the older insulation material.

Additionally I have damped the horn bodys outside with bitumen mats, to isolate them against the structure-borne sonic of the 10 " drivers

dmmung2gokeg.jpg.a21cdafadccc72a27b93ae92620d96c2.jpg

dmmung3kukqe.jpg.b02533e5bf5ee28ac8e115e7a1a7bc95.jpg

grafik.png.5668c762f756e5fcbfe6e1703902b472.png

dmmunginnen1lgjde.jpg.8d727fb25396e4642bdc26f1d11a161a.jpg

271522453_Horndmmung.jpg.bce44b8053a1ab1b0c4fe9eeaa66da49.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

@Tarheel....thanx for having a look  into my thread ...the most important information are subsumed on Page 12 / 13 and 14 . Just if you want know it looks after having finished the works with the external crossovers .....and having an interest for the measurements that I did after having finished this project. 

0066.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MicroMara said:

@Tarheel....thanx for having a look  into my thread ...the most important information are subsumed on Page 12 / 13 and 14 . Just if you want know it looks after having finished the works with the external crossovers .....and having an interest for the measurements that I did after having finished this project. 

0066.gif

I was really interested in the turn table.  Always a fan but never an owner of Micro Seiki.  You have some nice gear my friend!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/6/2020 at 10:57 PM, dwilawyer said:

Beautiful equipment indeed, all except for that Norwegian R2R player, Willi Studer is probably rolling over in his grave.😀

I'm just kidding,  love Tandberg.

I have to admit that I've worked with a lot of R2Rs. I even still have the equipment to cut the organic tape at home. I also owned the Revox A / B series / Sony / Akai / and Tascam R2R. Soundwise there were no significant differences. I sold all other R2Rs and kept the Tandberg, because this R2R is ergonomically and optically one of the most beautiful R2Rs ever built.

And I thank you for your compliments regarding my audio gear.  And yes, the complete moddy  of the RF7 MK II series with the external crossovers was an extraordinary project in which I put all my many years of experience from building loudspeakers myself into this project. It is my masterpiece, so to speak.

Towards the end of this year I  want to buy another tube preamplifier and 2 tube monoblocks. But at the moment I have not made a decision yet. I would be grateful for any advice. The critical impedance curve of the RF 7 MK II series is no longer important, as mine is now in the uncritical range between 4 and 12 ohms.

But more important are the acoustical changes in regard to the RF7 MK II serial model. The impulse speed, the jump response of the chassis, the timing and precision and plasticity and depth gradation of the stage, voices, instruments, location, dynamics, fine resolution, coarse dynamics, fine dynamics, precision, spatial resolution, from the brilliance of the high tone ,the midrange expansions, up to the depth gradation of the bass. has improved so much.Mine doesn't have much in common with the serial model anymore. Guess it´s the best sounding RF7 MK II ever build in the world.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Since a little more than 3 weeks I have integrated the Cayin mono power amplifiers in my system, as a hybrid solution.For this purpose I disconnected the power amplifier of the Marantz PM 11-S 3 and connected the two mono power amplifiers.I was very skeptical whether the mono power amplifiers are able  to replace the immensely powerful transistor power amplifier of the Marantz and thus build me a stage in depth as well as width.  I was also skeptical about the sound spectrum as a whole, the resolution, they precise, the timbres, Voices, Instrumemts, etc.

I have already listened to many  tube amps at friends...all of them sound wonderful ..... but so far none of them got this drive, this kick, this impulse speed.The classic tube attributes of the mid/high frequency spectrum, such as excellent creamy melting warm, golden timbres, very detailed fine dynamics and velvet paw silkiness in the brilliance of the high frequency spectrum are acoustically a dream. The depth graduation of the stage is indescribably precise.I can exactly localize how deep and wide the effects are set in a mixing on a tune. Sometimes, depending on the production, sound effects are placed near to the left and right of the speakers. Reflections or phase shifts I can absolutely exclude. With digital source devices I only need a level of - 70 dB at the preamplifier to listen to a powerful, clearly defined holographic sound stage in the entire full frequency range. With analog source devices it is about 10 db ( - 60 dB ) more. 

My RF7 II SE harmonizes with these two mono tube amplifiers - I would never have thought it possible. They also benefit from the extremly fast and precise transistor preamplifier of the PM 11-S 3.

It is a pity that you cannot experience this, it is State of the Art High End on it´s  highest level . I´m infinitely happy about the decision to have bought the serial model of the RF7 MK II good 5 years ago. It has always been a great loudspeaker, but the RF7 MK II SE  is a phenomenon. My queen was crowned empress . The experiment hybrid is my final solution.

BTW .. I don't know if I may or should mention this here, but I had a high-ranking visitor on my profile today. If this visitor should read this report, I would like to express my respect and highest appreciation at this point.

1653372916_Screenshot_2020-11-05MicroMara-TheKlipschAudioCommunity(3).thumb.png.8cd7e5deefc84ab0edfe7c5bfe107708.png

Tec Specs Cayin Mono Amplifieres

50WPC/ 8 Ohm/  Push - Pull

Preamplifier Russian 6DJ8, 12 AU7 ,12BH7A ,

Rectifire Russian tube 5AR4 (  in combination with a 2 Heny filter inductor, electrolytic capacitors and resistors it provides 585 volts )

Power amplifier Russian GU 29 with 2 tetrodes

Frequency Response 10 Hz > 55 KHz

Input Sensivity 1000mV

S/N Ratio > 100 dB

Input Impendance 50 KOhm

THD 0,45 %

LRC28_01_2021.thumb.jpg.c4ff935b714423c27743d1770bb376b4.jpg

• Like 1

• MicroMara changed the title to RF 7 EvoTec " The queen is dead, long live the queen "