NE Mass Heresies on CL for hundo (RUN!)

hennepin

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 7:51 PM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Gone. 

So the story goes, I saw them on 9th just before 9am, I got the reply from the seller that they had been sold. What a great person to take the time to even reply. The seller apparently had been given the speakers so he was making a quick buck, besides one of the speakers was intermittent. His girl friend/wife liked them so much that he was after a pair of Forte's and was given the OK if he sold the Heresy's (so the reason for a quick sale). The buyer, who was not me, posted the mid range K55v's yesterday and I was interested so I emailed about them and asked if he had just gotten them for the "Ben Franklin" and he acknowledged in the affirmative. I met the buyer/seller at 12:30 and made the deal for the speakers minus the K77's as he wanted to keep them for another purpose. When I got home I reassembled the mids and added a K77 in one and a K77m in the other as that was what I had at hand. Once I put the backs on and put some signal to them one of them came to life and the other dead as a fa-, well you know what I mean. I pulled the back off and inspected my re-assembly work and nothing looked out of place so I grabbed the wirers from the back to the network and gave them a wiggle and the heresy came to life. I tightened the screw and all is good now. All I need now is to replace the K77m with the proper tweeter and all should be good.

the tops need a bit of help - I think I can make them OK

IMG_1260.thumb.JPG.95ae137bfff27f1a7dba9eaff892b3e5.JPG

But the fronts are going to need new edge trim - we will have to see how the matching goes.

IMG_1263.thumb.JPG.22d0b814332d5cffb72453045297c5a0.JPG

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Nice score. Smoked glass tops would be an easy fix. 

I think that by this afternoon I will know more about the tops, yesterday afternoon it was up to 22 degrees so I didn't take them outside to sand the tops. Today its likely to get above freezing so I might get them taken apart and outside for a quick sanding of the tops. There are a couple of small "dents" that I will have to leave in one of the sides as they as deep enough that sanding is probably pointless. Anyone have a round magnet K77 that they are willing to part with?  

I hope to find a match for the chip along the top edge of this side

IMG_1259.thumb.JPG.e3e885e21bef739be2da1c63150e3503.JPG

the dent about 8 inches from the bottom 2 inches from the back is ok by me

IMG_1264.thumb.JPG.4ecdd1c51e226c7677931c0555939304.JPG

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

It will take a bit of work but those will clean up nicely.  Congrats on the pick up.

I was not looking to buy the Heresies from the buyer/seller (flipper?) but the difference in the money was not a lot and I didn't really want to see them parted out like so many in the past. The year of build was 1978 (S) so they are not that rare but like every thing else "once its gone it's gone" and the chances of bringing it back a quite slim. The bacon spattered H700's that I got last month look pretty good, these are in about the same condition but the bottoms are better (not stored in the damp basement) so I am hopeful that after 6 or 7 coats of boiled linseed oil they will look like 42 year old speakers that someone cared for, even the last 10 years. It's not like I needed these but it will kill off a few more days of winter, and possibly get me part way into the dreaded month of February. It takes me about 3 weeks to apply 6 coats of oil. Day 1 - oil, skip a day - oil, skip 2 days - oil, skip 3 days - oil, skip 4 days - oil, etc.  By the end of 3 weeks they stop drinking it up.

IMG_1265.thumb.JPG.8c27b90049f6007af6624154a30cb2cf.JPG

• Like 2

I'm not sure I should continue this thread here in alerts but I guess I will. Tops were sanded and look good so I continued and stripped the edge banding off the front of the worst one (on the right). The cabinet on the left has nice gash on the top right edge that is beyond my ability to repair (inexpensively anyway) so it will stay, I am guessing/hoping it will not be as obtrusive once the cabs are oiled.

IMG_1278.thumb.JPG.a2d7d7c4064c08ffc5be3583c94945ab.JPG

• Like 2

I went to see a friend, he does some high end cabinet work and I thought he may have some edge banding, well he did but not any walnut so he found a 4 ft. length and ripped 3 narrow strips of about 3/32 of an inch in width. I taped off the perimeter of the speaker with good 3M yellow masking tape to prevent glue from drooling down the sides and pleasing me.

I guess I took this picture before taping

IMG_1281.thumb.JPG.87a00364f7a9533573fb0042460e2885.JPG

and its been pulled just before this one. The color does not seem to match very well so I'll just have to see how it looks after oiling.

IMG_1293.thumb.JPG.e55e7a759f3bc3e7bb6c60e8107c79e1.JPG

I clamped this last piece about 7:15 this morning so I hope to get it sanded and maybe a coat of oil today. we'll see...

• Like 1

After I got home I took off the clamps and brought them both outside to sand, used the DA and some 150 paper to level off the edge strips (not really edge banding as its kind of thick). I had to sand the sides, bottom and top to flush things off so I ended up doing both cabs to hopefully make them match. As I flipped one of the cabs it caught on my sleeve and lifted off a small piece of the edge banding I didn't mess with, so out came the glue, clamp and wax paper. I left it on the side deck and went for a drive down to the beach. Not much happening, but a young couple came running down to the waters edge and stripped down to their bathing suits. Kind of a nice site to see that much skin in January with the temperature at nearly 30 degrees. The next thing I see is them both running into the water (well at least its a bit warmer at 46 degrees), they didn't stay in long and left back to the warmth of the rental car. With that over I went back home to finish sanding. I got a coat of oil on both and took them back outside for a picture. they look ok and with several more I think they will be OK.

IMG_1308.thumb.JPG.abc6a047f5e321fe4bfbd44d44301ebc.JPG

This picture is this morning at dawn with a flash and it make them look better but they are still look dry, the one on the right has sucked in all of the oil and is crying for another drink.

IMG_1310.thumb.JPG.81ae3c6c5739a7c1c208e548418f523b.JPG

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

Great to see your set come back to life. Restoring a set that were made by crafts people 42 years ago is fantastic. Please keep posting pictures, it’ll be nice to see before and after when you have them all fixed up. 

I believe that Andy ( HDBRbuilder ) is the person that built this fine pair of speakers.

IMG_1302.thumb.JPG.3b4255ad061581e03cdc5f05e4918377.JPG

this one is 67 S 588 and the other is 67 S 587

IMG_1304.thumb.JPG.c8938f69e355b9ae0534b605d741cb70.JPG

• Like 2

22 hours ago, risingjay said:

The color and grain look great.  Keep up the good work!

Hi Jay

I didn't do a lot, Klipsch made a fine product and used some very nice Veneered lumber core plywood back when this pair of Heresy's were made.

It has allowed me to sand out many of the issues that neglect by its owners over the years have inflicted. I sanded with a DA with 150 grit as much as I dared, I did no remove any of the deep dings or scratches. Most oiled wood looks bad once it has dried out and it more than likely is more easily damaged by the fact that less care is taken moving and transporting because it/they looks like piece of junk.  The front grain that I glued on doesn't match all that well, but that's a money thing, I can not justify investing more that they are worth so I cut a few corners (that may be a pun) to make them just look ok, the picture below is after the second coat of oil ( I cheated and did a second coat on the second day, it looked so sad and thirsty) and the color mitered face veneer doesn't match the tops that well but I hope in time with a bit of UV light it will get closer. If I make them too nice, I will feel badly about using them as I had originally intended, that is in the back of the F350 extended cab.

Gary

IMG_1316.thumb.JPG.216ae28998cad294559c7b088cae8e1f.JPG

IMG_1314.thumb.JPG.fc10f9906184b4348a0b366d7ce41cc0.JPG

• Like 2

Gary, 

The technique of linseed oil you used is something I never heard of before. It is very interesting.

I'm lucky I'm in a job where I learn everyday.  I'm a Foreman Electrician "Union" in Chicago "LOCAL 134" and can say it's very fast paced.  There is so much to know.  I like to tell the apprentices that "I've forgot more than you know".

Anyway what I'm trying to say is that you are taking crap and making it look good!  It is fun to see your hard work go into these! On top of that, we all get to learn from you in the process.  Keep it up!

Try to do this Millennials!

Hi Jay

Like I said earlier, this is probably the wrong place for a restore topic but if some one learns and takes what they learn and save a beat up pair of Heresy, Cornwall, Lascala, or Klipschorn's speakers then I am all in. Much of what I have learned is via this forum and by doing it (well I guess that didn't work or OK, good enough). The boiled linseed sequence is likely something I read on this forum, maybe I modified it a bit but I have done a lot of digging here and usually ask questions After. I have not said anything about spontaneous combustion so I will now BOILED LINSEED OIL on RAGS is DANGEROUS, a true FIRE HAZARD. When I am done with these oil soaked rags, I place them in a ziplock plastic bag and squeeze all of the air out, then I  put the bag in a air proof metal container. I reused the same rags  that I did the H700's with 6 or so weeks ago

and when I am completely done, the oil soaked rags go outside and spread out to get rained on until I can get them to the transfer station to dispose of them.

Any way I put on the third coat yesterday and they are starting to look better, the flash helps a lot in some of these photos. The following photo was taken last night at about 6 pm with no lights. just the flash to light up the speakers. the color is getting better and I hope they will look as good as the H700's

IMG_1318.thumb.JPG.da65223eeb3a4356d1d4ad6391abc0bb.JPG

One of the H700's after 7 or so coats and 6 weeks to develop

IMG_1132.thumb.JPG.cc9b39a4f7d57fc5644361b2978b04d4.JPG

• Like 2

I was up early this morning to get another coat (the forth one) as I will be away. I need to get more boiled linseed oil but had enough to finish. they are starting to get loaded as they are not drinking it up anymore, I'll probably wait until Sunday for the next application.

Top and side wet after oil applied at 5am - it looked similar nearly 2 hours later, there were a few dry looking spots on the cab on the left before I mopped off the excess oil at .

IMG_1327.thumb.JPG.3f7b168e1b668b5dc12e97ff27587a8d.JPG

after I mopped them down - you can still see a couple of chips and scratches I didn't sand out. Better to see the scratch that the wood under the veneer:smile:

IMG_1328.thumb.JPG.6922e026107b05e5a4c1dc3973c277f2.JPG

• Like 1