NE Mass Heresies on CL for hundo (RUN!)

hennepin

The risers were just set aside when I got the Heresy's and I was going to glue the loose veneer back on but there was also some missing so it took the back seat and just sat. After installing all the components I just looked at the risers and placed them beside for a before and after of what a half a dozen coats of oil will do.

IMG_1371.thumb.JPG.93450c9e8d8be96b2fa08b65d2f73532.JPG

2-23-2020 - just to add some closure to this topic

I built some slant risers, the topic is posted in mods section of the forum

I think they came out nice for the amount of money and time spent, they are not perfect nor was that the intent. They may be too nice to put into the rear seat area of my extended F250 pickup, I'll just have to see how it goes...:unsure2: 

Heresy now sitting upon the black EV TL606 cabinet

IMG_1413.thumb.JPG.b5ba54a56297517812b5b6dc2f04c6ed.JPG

Thanks to everyone for looking, following along and the words of support

Gary

• 2 months later...
On 1/24/2020 at 7:02 AM, garyeanderson said:

After I got home I took off the clamps and brought them both outside to sand, used the DA and some 150 paper to level off the edge strips (not really edge banding as its kind of thick). I had to sand the sides, bottom and top to flush things off so I ended up doing both cabs to hopefully make them match. As I flipped one of the cabs it caught on my sleeve and lifted off a small piece of the edge banding I didn't mess with, so out came the glue, clamp and wax paper. I left it on the side deck and went for a drive down to the beach. Not much happening, but a young couple came running down to the waters edge and stripped down to their bathing suits. Kind of a nice site to see that much skin in January with the temperature at nearly 30 degrees. The next thing I see is them both running into the water (well at least its a bit warmer at 46 degrees), they didn't stay in long and left back to the warmth of the rental car. With that over I went back home to finish sanding. I got a coat of oil on both and took them back outside for a picture. they look ok and with several more I think they will be OK.

IMG_1308.thumb.JPG.abc6a047f5e321fe4bfbd44d44301ebc.JPG

This picture is this morning at dawn with a flash and it make them look better but they are still look dry, the one on the right has sucked in all of the oil and is crying for another drink.

IMG_1310.thumb.JPG.81ae3c6c5739a7c1c208e548418f523b.JPG

Wow! The coloring on this is phenomenal! My cabs are in very similar condition as far as being dry. I'm about to start work on them. 

As far as sanding goes, what did you finish with, the 150 grit?

And for the oil, just any boiled linseed oil will do or do you have a preferred brand? 

Edited by Rexxis
  • Like 2

On 5/12/2020 at 9:40 AM, Rexxis said:

Wow! The coloring on this is phenomenal! My cabs are in very similar condition as far as being dry. I'm about to start work on them. 

As far as sanding goes, what did you finish with, the 150 grit?

And for the oil, just any boiled linseed oil will do or do you have a preferred brand? 

If you want to make sure that Gary sees your question, you should use the "@" symbol and then start typing his name.  That will send him an alert that you tagged him specifically.

@garyeanderson

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

If you want to make sure that Gary sees your question, you should use the "@" symbol and then start typing his name.  That will send him an alert that you tagged him specifically.

@garyeanderson

Sorry to confuse, the question was read and possibly answered in another topic that REXXIS started on his own Heresy speakers.

From topic:

My 150 grit is very well used.' More of a real world 180-220 and I don't let the DA rest, I probably move the sander quite fast with the grain at a speed of a foot or more per second. The sander is only sanding for 5 to 10 seconds for a Heresy top before stopping to inspect  Much of this sanding is to give the surface a uniform, free from old finish surface. Lite scratches I try to lessen the visual impact (some even come out), deeper digs I leave.  Every defect needs to be looked at to decide if its to be fixed or hidden.

As far as the boiled linseed oil goes, be very very careful with rags soaked in it, I heard today that a house 3 towns north of me had a "spontaneous combustion" fire that caused $75k in damages. 

I got the last quart at HD, before that I was using what my father had gotten at the transfer station "take it or leave it" area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1