Bose Shuttering Stores around the World

Jeff Matthews

Factory Direct time!

Our tireless pursuit for cheaper products, while expecting better performance, is backing ourselves into a corner.

The days of going into a store to ask questions, touch and test products is short lived, for the most part. I hope I’m wrong. 

2 hours ago, K5SS said:

Factory Direct time!

Our tireless pursuit for cheaper products, while expecting better performance, is backing ourselves into a corner.

The days of going into a store to ask questions, touch and test products is short lived, for the most part. I hope I’m wrong. 

Pretty much. People research, read reviews, and purchase on the internet. Go to walmart, best buy, Target, or Costco if you want to touch it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, K5SS said:

Factory Direct time!

Not good news to see any stores close.  Many people will be out of work. 

Our biggest retailer (online or otherwise), from where I buy products, stream music and watch TV at night, runs their employees ragged where they need to 'make up time' if they need to pee or crap during their shift, doesn't pay any taxes and we (me included) buy more and more from them while decent jobs keep disappearing. 

I keep telling my wife when we shop, "this seems too cheap"  and it is true.  We were watching an episode of All in the Family and Edith said socks were 3 pair for $2.  They are not that much more now, 50 years later, but we do not employ our people to make them, instead a 10 year old makes them as a 'professional' overseas. 

Things are going in the wrong direction.  Please, no political discussion and locked threads.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

We were watching an episode of All in the Family and Edith said socks were 3 pair for $2.  They are not that much more now, 50 years later, but we do not employ our people to make them, instead a 10 year old makes them as a 'professional' overseas. 

Could be made by adults. While not wanting to justify the practice, we need to remember that the cost of living is often much lower in many other countries, i.e., the Philippines for example. My older son was working at a Seattle's Best resto in Manila. Over a 9 hour shift he made about $11.00. Quite unfortunately, that can put food on your table there.

4 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Not good news to see any stores close.  Many people will be out of work. 

Our biggest retailer (online or otherwise), from where I buy products, stream music and watch TV at night, runs their employees ragged where they need to 'make up time' if they need to pee or crap during their shift, doesn't pay any taxes and we (me included) buy more and more from them while decent jobs keep disappearing. 

I keep telling my wife when we shop, "this seems too cheap"  and it is true.  We were watching an episode of All in the Family and Edith said socks were 3 pair for $2.  They are not that much more now, 50 years later, but we do not employ our people to make them, instead a 10 year old makes them as a 'professional' overseas. 

Things are going in the wrong direction.  Please, no political discussion and locked threads.

This sentiment is nothing modern.  We used to have slave labor, right here in the good, old USA!  So much for decent jobs disappearing. 

If you want those poor kids working in foreign factories to do well, don't feel guilty buying their cheap stuff.  They wish you'd buy more; I can assure you that.

IMO, the decent jobs of today blow away the decent jobs of bygone years, as does the standard of living.

Back in the 1970's, I'd have never imagined in my wildest dreams we'd be chunking a 55" flat screen TV in the garbage because a power supply went bad in it.  Ha ha!  Those were the good, old days!

} A different world indeed, particularly in retail/brick and mortar. A large JC Penney distribution center near me just laid off 250 people.

And as I drive past an older out of business grocery store it’s parking lot now serves several dozen Amazon trucks just a couple miles from a distribution warehouse. Door bell rings last Sunday night, Sunday night mind you, around 8 o’clock. Amazon dropping a package due for delivery the next day. As I sit on my fat *** ordering this and that from Amazon, having it in one or two days, it’s not hard to figure out the long term fate of retail as we once knew it —

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, richieb said:

As I sit on my fat *** ordering this and that from Amazon, having it in one or two days, it’s not hard to figure out the long term fate of retail as we once knew it —

Ha ha!  I need a $7.05 emblem for my car through Amazon.  Just sitting here, thinking about what I might need for another $18.00 to get me to free shipping.

1 minute ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Ha ha!  I need a $7.05 emblem for my car through Amazon.  Just sitting here, thinking about what I might need for another $18.00 to get me to free shipping.

} Oh, I have no doubt something will come to mind. After all, the world is at your fingertips—👇🏻

• Haha 1

Not to discount the issues of child labor........but the pricing of many products is related to production scaling via automation, robots. Pony up for robotic systems once and they build forever 24/7 and without benes or sick days. I’m pretty sure socks are all made by mechanized systems.

I went into a Bose store once.  My then 7 year old son was with me.  The sales rep convinced us to stay and listen to their rather lengthy demo.  When the demo concluded, the rep came in and asked what we thought of the speakers.  My son looked up at him and said, "Try Cornwalls".

Perhaps Bose products are over priced for their performance, but at least Bose tried to sell them based on an actual audition of the speakers.  The opportunity to audition Klipsch Heritage products at a retail establishment went away long ago, at least in my area.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 5:02 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

Just keep it your "saved items for later cart" until you have enough for free delivery ($25). I also order my home HVAC filters via amazon (better price than locally) so I keep that item in the saved cart to push me over @ times. Otherwise they will charge you 5.99 for shipping on a $7.05 item. Or maybe that cd, blueray movie, or audio cable you want.

Another viable option is to buy a single item on ebay, if they have it. Ebay is a great shopping tool, I recently purchased a music cd for $3.76 delivered. St Germain Tourist.

Most times its hard to beat amazon's prices, with free shipping to boot. Especially Black Friday and the Christmas sales that follow. Sometimes amazon offers some items @ 33 to 50% off during the holiday sales period.