Marantz 2252B too much power for studio monitor or smaller

sbcoffey42

Hi all

I just aquired my first Marantz, a 2252B. For opinion purposes, how does anyone feel about driving either jbl type studio monitors or book shelf speakers with thus amp. Is this too much amp? I have a small living room and would like to run smaller speakers and use my Heresy's in my music room where i havemore space. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

• Like 2

52 watts is not "too much" for any speaker, but adequate for  efficient speakers, like your Heresies.  Be careful, though, many bookshelf speakers are inefficient, and would require a bigger amp to reach concert level.  For instance, I wouldn't get something with a sensitivity of 85 - 90 dB/2.83v/1m.   Your Heresies are about 96 dB/2.83v/1m in a typical listening room, near a wall, or about 92 dB/2,83v/1m in an anechoic chamber.  If you always play your music softly, ignore these caveats.

I had an in-law with your Marantz, and it sounded very, very good.

Good luck on the 4301s.  I've got a pair in their factory boxes but the woofer surrounds (and now likely tweeter "surrounds") have long since disintegrated.  I reckon they're actually 4301bs.  Should've gotten the woofers repaired while JBL still did that for that driver...

They're 8" / 1.4" in a lovely walnut seemingly indestructible cabinet.  Countless hours of enjoyment derived from them, but am currently equally-or-better (better!) enjoying a pair of Forte III.  Driven by 50 Watts per channel of NAD class D amplification in a large difficult room.  Fills the whole house with sound when called upon to do so...

2 minutes ago, glens said:

Good luck on the 4301s.  I've got a pair in their factory boxes but the woofer surrounds (and now likely tweeter "surrounds") have long since disintegrated.  I reckon they're actually 4301bs.  Should've gotten the woofers repaired while JBL still did that for that driver...

My son did the surrounds on his L-46 JBLs last fall. Can't you get parts for the 4301s? I'm glad mt 4311s don't have foam surrounds, although the tweetwers got messed up. I used to drive them to quite loud levels with a 35 wpc JVC (circa 1971), and later my Dynaco St-70.

29 minutes ago, glens said:

I never would've bought the 4301s if I could've afforded the 4311s!

I think I paid about $280 ea. for them, which was $50 off list. I got them through the studio I used to visit (the owner was an equi. vendor in the midwest. Lots of great artists recorded there)

I am very jbl ignorant, i've been looking at them and know there are lots out there. I have only listened to a set of l100 but i don't even know the specifics about that set except they were expensive. I am just starting the kmowledge journey on jbl speakers. The 4300 models and l100 are very appealing to me but not sure why l100 are considered bookshelf.