Marantz 2252B too much power for studio monitor or smaller

sbcoffey42

For bookshelf speakers, the RB35 are tough to beat especially for the sound they produce and what they cost. I had a pair being driven by a Sansui AU7700 (54w/ch) and they were impressive. I have a few old school Marantz receivers. IMHO, I think that your Heresy would do great with the warm sound of the Marantz. From there, I would (if I were spending your money) buy some Forte iii for the larger room. 

Has the Marantz been refreshed? 

• Like 1

The only issue I have with too much power is Signal-to-Noise Ratio on high-efficiency speakers. For years I used a 55 Watt/ch. on Klipschorns. I always heard a hiss at idle in a quiet room. I switched to a Trends 10.1 class T amp at 15 Watts. I could drive them to thunderous levels in a large room on organ and classical music and jazz. If your S/N ratio is -98 db, that's a lot of noise below 55 Watts on sensitive speakers.

On 1/19/2020 at 3:47 PM, wuzzzer said:

When it comes to amplification, too much power is always better than too little. 

What!  Now that's just silly.

As far as the Marantz. Nice gear, and studio monitors, I seem to recall, often have a fairly strong signal going through them  coming off the board.

I grabbed a pair of KG 2.5's yesterday. A great deal, they are believed to be aquired when a dealer or warehouse was cleanned out. Tjey are in immaculate condition and sound great. A lot more sound than i expected. They handle everything my Marantz gives them with just a bit of resonance on the woofer with some jazz. I suspect the upright or double bass in the song is just to low. Not a problem with the Heresy's.

• Like 1