Xilica XP-4080 question

Coytee

So I've evidently had a mouse visiting my LaScala.  Went to make a second system.  I needed a signal that wasn't biamped.  (I was just going to pull a leg from my Jubilee amp to the LaScala however, Jubilee is biamped and LaScala is full range)

No worries....  I can fix that in my Xilica....  just copy settings to a new profile then upload that profile and convert said signal lines to mono....  perfect.

Except I for the life of me, can not figure out how/where inside the Xilica to save to another profile.   

With the EV DX-38, you can save, I don't know, 50 different custom profiles inside the crossover and pull any one up as you please.

I've looked for the instructions but don't think it came with a book....  so started to target online and can't yet find anything.  I've been just poking around inside the software.

So I defer to the crowd.....

How do I:

Take my current settings, save them to another profile, edit the NEW profile and then later, when I'm done testing the LaScalas, reinstall the original profile?

I had this connected to my laptop (I don't even want to try the annoying (to me) front plate controls BUT I will if that's what it takes)

Anyway, had connected to laptop using their interface and can't figure out how I programmed in what's already in there!!!  

As a pre-spring project, I might make learning more about these controls AND (after buying a mic) maybe trying to profile the sound to the room better.

Poor @Chris A is going to end up putting me on his caller ID so he'll know when to avoid his phone and/or emails!!  :ph34r:

• Haha 1

I think I got my (LaScala) issues fixed so I don't believe I'll need a mono line anymore.

That said....I miss the RACE (EV) program.  

Note that the (Xilica) owners manual doesn't tell you diddly on how to actually USE the software interface.  When I  use the front panel, I'm (my fat thumbs) always getting tripped up.

I'm glad today's Monday....  even though it's a work holiday that we do observe, I get to go to work today to meet with someone.

I'll need to poke around with this software when I have time to play and not when I feel a bit under the gun like I did as I was trying to get the LaScalas fixed up.

Since I"m more a "plug & play" person than a tinkerer......  I fooled with this once, set it and forgot it!  Which is one reason I don't quite understand those who say they aren't interested in an active as they don't want to keep fiddling with it......  keep fiddling with it is the LAST thing I've done!!.

49 minutes ago, Coytee said:

When I  use the front panel, I'm (my fat thumbs) always getting tripped up.

Don't even think of the using the front panel. Forget it is even a possibility. Just hook up a PC wired or over your network, search online for the tutorial video and you will be good to go. If I had one complaint about Xilica is that their software if for sure designed by engineers not software developers. Not very intuitive but gets the job done. If you liked Windows 3.1 you will love it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

So Rich...you're not an EMACs or vi user, eh?

Years ago. I try to avoid it now.

I did sort of like computers back in the late 80s to early 90s when it was kink of like a club with a secret handshake. Today I hate all things technology. Closet Unabomber.

52 minutes ago, Delicious2 said:

Saving in the 30 slots on the device is certainly one way. I like to save to my PC

I do both. Save 30 to the device and from time to time archive all 30 off to the PC. You never know when  you are going to need to go back in time 2 years and make you speakers sound terrible :blink:

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Chris A said:

So Rich...you're not an EMACs or vi user, eh?

and in all seriousness....  I am 100% clueless as to what this means so, the answer is a big juicy "nope"  When you think simpleton, you are free to think of me... 

Now, I DID see that screen (above).  What I found interesting is it was cycling through creating something like 30 devices.  I'm not really sure WHAT it was doing, but it kept going through a process and enumerating something.

I'll go look at that screen stuff again when I get time to dig into this.  Found a piece of missing trim (or more likely, a piece of trim that was never installed when SOMEONE (ahem, me) trimmed out the inside of the closet where the LaScalas reside.....  so I now have this urgent project to deal with (per wife) as I can't put speaker back under there until trim is fixed.  Thing is....  we'll need to rip a small piece of wood which means going outside (30 degrees) and setup the table saw.  Not something I really want to do right now however, the saw IS pretty easy to setup.....  but still.....  I really dislike the cold.

1 minute ago, Coytee said:

and in all seriousness....  I am 100% clueless as to what this means so, the answer is a big juicy "nope"  When you think simpleton, you are free to think of me... 

Now, I DID see that screen (above).  What I found interesting is it was cycling through creating something like 30 devices.  I'm not really sure WHAT it was doing, but it kept going through a process and enumerating something.

I'll go look at that screen stuff again when I get time to dig into this.  Found a piece of missing trim (or more likely, a piece of trim that was never installed when SOMEONE (ahem, me) trimmed out the inside of the closet where the LaScalas reside.....  so I now have this urgent project to deal with (per wife) as I can't put speaker back under there until trim is fixed.  Thing is....  we'll need to rip a small piece of wood which means going outside (30 degrees) and setup the table saw.  Not something I really want to do right now however, the saw IS pretty easy to setup.....  but still.....  I really dislike the cold.

Oops, I thought the EMAC thing was directed at me....  sorry for my confusion.

7 hours ago, mark1101 said:

I don't even know how to use the front panel of my Xilicas.  The XConsole PC tool is the only way to go for me.  Simplifies the whole system.

I have been playing with an XD4080 since last week and my first impressions was it wasn’t as intuitive to use compared to the EV DC-One but I have to say it has really grown on me and I find the front panel operation to be very handy as well as the XConsole editor. 

I have noticed that the XConsole graph does not register changes in output channel gain (example: -3db for the K402/TAD HF) while I was creating a program that resulted in Output responses that duplicate Roy’s EV DX38 or EV DC-One ( Jub/K402/TAD4002 program.) This was easy to get around but should be accounted for when duplicating programs designed using the EV DSP models as well as other Brands I suspect as well.

miketn

34 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

I have noticed that the XConsole graph does not register changes in output channel gain (example: -3db for the K402/TAD HF) while I was creating a program that resulted in Output responses that duplicate Roy’s EV DX38 or EV DC-One ( Jub/K402/TAD4002 program.)

You may not have hit "enter" when you changed a value within the mixer numeric field (instead of using the sliders).  It will default back to the value before edit if you forget to lock the value in. It's the same deal with PEQ values, etc.  You just have to verify that it saved your input.

Chris

8 minutes ago, Chris A said:

You may not have hit "enter" when you changed a value within the mixer numeric field (instead of using the sliders).  It will default back to the value before edit if you forget to lock the value in. It's the same deal with PEQ values, etc.  You just have to verify that it saved your input.

Chris

Hey Chris

I’ll check things out some more but this was in the HF output channel gain section not in the mixer section.

12678BF0-FCD8-4DBA-B15E-155EFE1EDBA0.thumb.jpeg.9cf407709b93ad8e356e7f7f979f09f9.jpeg

I've found that every field that you type into needs to be verified that it locked in the change before leaving the field/screen. 

Additionally, I found that the XConsole application is much faster and more intuitive than front panel controls--even the Dx38--much easier and faster.  I've used the application for over 3 years and have done a bunch of dialing-in of PEQs, etc. from REW's EQ facility in order to create .xdat preset files for a few dozen folks.  I now think of XConsole as the most easy and intuitive to use of all my applications (by a wide margin).

Chris

• Like 1

Just wanted to say the XConsole app will not let you change the threshold of the noise gate (Internal System Optimizer) ISO. Only accessible through the front panel. Unless of course I'm wrong and somebody has found the hidden button in XConsole.