Xilica XP-4080 question

Coytee

23 hours ago, Chris A said:

So Rich...you're not an EMACs or vi user, eh?

Oh, the horror.

Add LaTeX to EMACS and vi, and you have the perfect trifecta of cave-tech. (I say that as I am literally in the middle of editing a LaTeX document.)

I used LaTeX a long, long time ago.    I was running computers for a research facility (Digital Equipment Corp. Vax/Vms ... still the best virtual memory system ever) and back in 1983 or so, it was the text editor for scientific papers.  Wow, I can't believe folks still use it. It gives you complete control, there isn't a more rich text editor.

1 hour ago, Edgar said:

Oh, the horror.  Add LaTeX to EMACS and vi, and you have the perfect trifecta of cave-tec

I've always been amused by the "computer sci" types (of which I was one at one time many years ago in CSE graduate school) that have defended both of those applications that I mentioned above (and is probably not on topic for this thread). The nice term for that is "vain".  If you think that they have value, it's because it took you a long time to remember all the commands, and I mean "all", and commit them all to memory.  They both represent a record low in the user interface design with no guardrails or training wheels for anyone that's learning to use the application other than reading a paper manual--which no one had years ago at universities, and online help was usually stripped off the system by the admins to ensure that "main CPU time was minimized on such parasitic operations".  Those were the bad old days. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________

In the case of Xilica's XConsole, I find that it's actually very straightforward to use--and most everything is in table or row format, with visualization of the effects that the PEQs and crossover filters are combining to create as you layer them on.  When I look at the Yamaha application that does the same, I am very discouraged to stepping into it due to the "distributed" nature of its layout--like you have to know the internal architecture of the hardware and software to use--in icon format.

One function that's missing in XConsole is a "sort PEQs ascending" function that will rearrange the PEQs that you layer on automatically so that they are easier to see which PEQs are conflicting or affecting the output SPL with each other--and being able to see the input PEQs on the same screen as the output PEQs.  These are minor irritations, however.

The deal with the background mute function being only accessible through the front panel is not a big deal--once you turn it off, it stays off and you never have to worry about it again (and I recommend turning it off and leaving it off).

Chris

5 minutes ago, Chris A said:

(and is probably not on topic for this thread)

No worries by me....  it's these ancillary conversations where I might pick something up or *gasp* learn something!

So feel unencumbered and carry on as you please.

2 minutes ago, Chris A said:

(and is probably not on topic for this thread)

Agreed, except as it pertains to:

They both represent a record low in the user interface design ...

The first audio DSP system that I worked on, the long-forgotten Merlin ISP-100, had no front panel controls at all. But it had a beautiful computer-based user interface. Unfortunately, that UI could only be used for control, not for configuration -- configuration was via a separate UI that, um, fell a little short. I don't know what caused the ultimate market failure of that product, but it wouldn't surprise me if the UI had something to do with it.

8 hours ago, Chris A said:

If you think that they have value, it's because it took you a long time to remember all the commands, and I mean "all", and commit them all to memory. 

vi has value to me because it's absolutely the easiest way to do a lot of my work. I only use about 10 editing commands. I couldn't do my job if I didn't use the program. A different editor would be better perhaps, but this works and really isn't hard.

Only about 10 sounds right for me, too.  I particularly like how you can pipe stuff out to external stuff like awk and sort, at least with the newer version, vim, that I use.  Elvis is pretty good if binaries need to be poked/prodded as it'll display them as a hexdump output and write them back without adding newlines.