RSW-15 Double tap

Matrixx9

I have 2 RSW-15's and I might have a problem in one or a setting that is wrong. When doing the youtube sub test that counts down the Hertz 5 at a time...one sub at a certain hz. Makes 2 loud taps as I can describe it. All the other hz. And while playing them no problem at all. Has anyone else encountered this or is a simple setting this noob has missed. While I'm here...I have them set at 80 hz. And 0 on the 0 to 180 thingy! Lol what is best to set that too?

13 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

Well those subs will make a thump sound when going lower then 19hz. They are not made to play 5 or 10 hz. The sound your hearing is the voice coils bottoming out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I wonder why it only happens on one of them? I know...don't look a gift horse in the mouth!!! Lol any idea about the 0 to 180 setting?

That would be the crossover setting in hertz. If the speakers in your sound system do not go low enough in the bass, subwoofer will kick in where you want.More to it but for now set it to 80 for movies and listen for Abit. Then try it on 120. You may prefer setting on 60, or even 40. Just depends on what you are listening to. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, billybob said:

That would be the crossover setting in hertz. If the speakers in your sound system do not go low enough in the bass, subwoofer will kick in where you want.More to it but for now set it to 80 for movies and listen for Abit. Then try it on 120. You may prefer setting on 60, or even 40. Just depends on what you are listening to. 

Thank you BillyBob! You're always spot on!

• Like 1

When driving 2 subs,put the phase on 180.

I have alsof Both of these and you can plug the second sub to the first sub and connected to the Line out.

I got my speakers hooked up on a NADT777 with Dirac Live full version.The speakers came to LIFE after the installing the corrected filter,and its unbelievable what the software does to your speakers.Before the NAD i had several of other brands with Ypao and Auddesy and none of all these could come near the NAD with Dirac.Every room is different and needs correction.You can see that all the manual speaker configurations that you normaly do like speaker distance and with crossovers,you see that after the installation of the filter,that all of these numbers are very much different.Thats the work of Dirac Live,it gives you the tools to get that nearly perfect outcome for your room situation.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Augustin said:

Why is this?  If they're in the same plane as your mains they'll be out of phase with your mains.  You should check phase with pink noise or test tones using an SPL meter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2020 at 1:09 PM, Augustin said:

I have alsof Both of these and you can plug the second sub to the first sub and connected to the Line out.

I got my speakers hooked up on a NADT777 with Dirac Live full version.The speakers came to LIFE after the installing the corrected filter,and its unbelievable what the software does to your speakers.Before the NAD i had several of other brands with Ypao and Auddesy and none of all these could come near the NAD with Dirac.Every room is different and needs correction.You can see that all the manual speaker configurations that you normaly do like speaker distance and with crossovers,you see that after the installation of the filter,that all of these numbers are very much different.Thats the work of Dirac Live,it gives you the tools to get that nearly perfect outcome for your room situation.

That's so weird...facebook just pushed me an ad for the Dirac Live. I have never heard of it before. I'm feeling kind of Like Rod Serling is behind my curtains now. In fact that ad reminded me to check my messages on here and low and behold. Thanks I will look back at ad now!

Basics first, check for leaks.

Run a 20 Hz tone through the system and use a small vacuum line (1/4" or so) one end to your ear and the other go around all the seams, feet and such. You will hear any leak once you run into one.

Cracked basket frames, check them well.

Loose components, check by hand. Unplug the unit first of course.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

The RSW 15 has  a high pass filter of 12dB/octave below 20Hz .  So it would be 12 db down at 10hz and 24 db down at 5 Hz.   Very odd that your 5 Hz signal is getting thru. 

PLUS there is power limiting also below 23Hz.  Both of these should have protected the driver and PR from over excursion.   Something else is going on here. 

How did the other 2 respond to 5 Hz? To 10 Hz? 20Hz?  Just curious.. I should try it on my RSW15! 

As for the LPF frequency,  how are you connecting the sub to your HT receiver? Normally you use the LFE out on your receiver connected to the RSW15 input and set it to LFE. That way the receiver sets the high pass/low pass for your main speakers (if they are set to small) and to your sub. 

• Like 1