Replacing KEF Q600C with a Klipsch RC 64 III...anyone used KEFs before?

MNKhawaja

Hi all,

I'm thinking of upgrading my KEF Q600C and have shortlisted the Klipsch RC 64 III 

My bookshelf speakers are the KEF Q300s ….does anyone know whether I will get a good match with the Klipsch center? My main aim is to get a clearer dialogue and center presence.

Or is the RC 64 III overkill and should I go for a R 34C or RP600 or RP 504? Don't want to overkill but just want a noticeable increase in clarity.

Anyone here had both the KEFs and Klipsch? Would be great to get your views on how they compare.

Thanks

MNK

Ideally, your L, C, and R should be identical.  The KEF center, by virtue of it's coax design, is more of an ideal match to your mains and less of a compromise than a horizontal two way Klipsch center.

Maybe try goosing the center channel a few db before spending big bucks on a speaker upgrade. Unless the KEFs are distorting, increasing the center channel should help increase speech intelligibility. 

Could also be diffraction from poor placement.  You don't have the center recessed into a cubby in an entertainment center, do you?

• Like 1

On 1/19/2020 at 11:28 PM, Ski Bum said:

Ideally, your L, C, and R should be identical.  The KEF center, by virtue of it's coax design, is more of an ideal match to your mains and less of a compromise than a horizontal two way Klipsch center.

Maybe try goosing the center channel a few db before spending big bucks on a speaker upgrade. Unless the KEFs are distorting, increasing the center channel should help increase speech intelligibility. 

Could also be diffraction from poor placement.  You don't have the center recessed into a cubby in an entertainment center, do you?

Thanks for the response. My center channel is just deep enough to have the front align or slightly stick out of the cubby. Power is not an issue and the KEF really shines at higher volumes ..it’s just the sensitivity (87db) which is lower than the Klipsch. I’m running a Yamaha A3050 to drive the system and would like more of an open sound from the center at lower volumes. Visited the local Klipsch dealer and he recommend the RP504C as a noticeable upgrade...unfortunately did not have a demo piece in store...told me that the 4 drivers on the 504 would give better clarity as well as the higher sensitivity.

15 minutes ago, MNKhawaja said:

Am actually considering replacing the front LR with the RP6000 or 8000 series to match the 504 center and move the KEFs to surround LR...

All good choices.  I tend to like larger L/R, and the best center you can afford.  In the Klipsch world that is the RC-64 III.  I own one, highly recommended.  Don't worry about "timbre matching" the high quality RC-64 III sounds great and quality goes with everything.  Get the best center speaker FIRST, then build around it. 

For TV/movies ninety percent of content is dialog, and 90% of the dialog comes out of the center speaker.  Get the best center you can afford.

We have a member here @MetropolisLakeOutfitters and his business partner @Scrappydue who are Klipsch dealers.  I have bought from them, the service is great and the prices are even better.  They have the RC-64 III B-stock FS right now.  I know the price and it's fantastic, but you should PM either of these guys for price.

RC-64 III, RP-600M RF-83 w/triple 8" woofers.  The RC-64 III is the star of the show.

591494550_RP-600Mbi-amprightsideview_800.thumb.jpg.b8712124600503367435c1ae83b68773.jpg

Thanks for the pics...helpful!

I live in Dubai and the KEF dealer thinks that the RC64-III would be overkill considering my room is relatively small... What size tv have you got placed on the RC? I have a 65" Sony and wondering if the speaker will take the weight.