Looking for Home Theater Configuration Help

Red's Driver

I've been a Klipsch fan for many years, more than I care to remember.  I have had a 5.1 system for, again, longer than I care to remember, and I'm in the middle of upgrading my system.  I purchased a Denon AVR-x3600H receiver to be the heart of this system. My issue is, once I realized how many configurations I can now choose, what should I choose?

Here's what I have speaker-wise:

Fronts: Klipsch RF3 II 

Center: Klipsch RC3

Surround: Klipsch RS3 II

NOTE: These are the origional speakers I purchased years ago, I have S/Ns If that helps.

SUB: Klipsch SW-112

SUB: SVS 12" Down Driver

Front Height: Klipsch RP-500SA (recent purchase)

So are my questions:

I have no reason to dislike my original set of Klipsch, but do I need to think about replacing them?

I'm looking for Atmos output, hence the purchase of the RP-500SAs, but should I consider additional speakers?

The DENON has many configuration options, and this is what prompted my question to begin with. Given all the options available does anyone have experience with some of these setups who can provide guidance?

OPTIONS:

5.2.2 (I have everything I need for this one)

7.2.2 (I would need two additional surround speakers)

7.2.4 (would require two more height speakers and two surround)

There are other configurations available, but let's start with those as options.  

The room is a standard living room size @ 14x20 with 8' ceilings

Any thoughts?

I’d suggest to start with what you have first.  Which would be the 5.2.2.   You can either mount the rp-500sa or use as up firing mode to make it even easier to try.

dolby has the speaker guide here you can also use for planning 5.2.2 or any configuration beyond.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf

Follow the suggested speaker locations as much as you can.  Except the subwoofers, for that, if you haven’t, google up subwoofer crawl and follow the process to find optimal (and allowable based on room configuration) location for them for optimal bass output and feel.

enjoy the journey!

Kevin

• Like 1

Thanks Kevin,

That's sound, logical advice, and I'll follow it. I kind of had already came to that conclusion on my own, just  because it's easy, but it's nice to hear conformation. I did not have the link you provided so I will take advantage of that as well.  

It turns out, in addition to my Klipsch setup, I do have stored away a couple of Polk Audio bookshelf speakers I had forgotten about.  I can use those to experiment with a 7.2.2 setup using them as side speakers before I have to buy anything, so I do some experimenting to do, and yes, I'll try to enjoy it. :)

Thanks again, Man

RD

Anytime, ya, as long as you don't drill holes etc, bookshelf are easy to move with stand. : )  As you can see in the guide, your side surround would move directly to the side, vs slightly behind when you go from 5.2.2 to 7.2.2.

I do think the RS-3 would be more suited for side surround given its bi-pole / wide dispersion profile.  Especially given your room is long? (assume 20 is long and 14 is width). Either case, you can play around based on how they can be placed, and if there is open area etc.  The Polk Audio would be more direct.

Make sure you run the Audyssey calibration after you placement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red's Driver said:

Ok, so here's a question for you, and I know you could answer with "it depends", because it does.  That said, generally speaking, in a 7.2 setup, which set, the sides or the backs get the most work?

RD

Lol.  Totally depends as you suggested.  However, here is where your room configuration (width and depth as well as wall vs open space) comes in on having direct vs wide dispersion speakers (like rs-3) come in.  Generally speaking, direct is preferred for object based surround like ATMOS but it is accepted to have bipole if there are placement constraints.  Therefore, I’d say to place your direct firing speaker where it’d match the Dolby guide and use the rs-3 for where you cannot.

Move around and have fun :) .  ATMOS has some nice test/demo tracks you can try.  I like the leaf and amaze as they are short and sweet to highlight the surround and overhead.  You can see which configuration gives you more seamless panning.

• Like 1