HELP - have RF-82 ref IV need new Center and surrounds

keithwtd

Good evening!

I hope I could get some help to choose the right speakers to go with what I already have. 

Ex-wife made me sell my center and surround speakers so I now only have a pair of RF-82 ref IV's and a SW-112 subwoofer. I've just purchased a Denon X2600h  so am looking to complete a 5.1 surround set up for my new place. Since the speakers are older and I don't want to hunt down used matching I'm hoping you all could point me in the right direction for what would work to match well with what I have. 

Thanks in advance!!!

Keith

Hey Keith,

I noticed you have not received any input on your question in 20 hours now.  I notice because I posted some questions of my own about the same time and I haven't received any input either. So I'll at least give you my 2 cents worth.

Obviously you are looking for Klipsch equipment so that already makes your decision a lot easier.  If I were in your shoes my primary concern would be to choose a center and surrounds that could handle a similar amount of power as my fronts. They are all going to be feeding from the same trough, so to speak, so if your front speakers are rated to handle 150 watts RMS, then I would choose a center and surrounds that could handle at least that much. I don't think it matters much if the model numbers aren't the same as the ones you had before. At least it wouldn't to me.  Secondarily to that would be the consideration of ascetics, which is more of a personal thing.  How important it is to you for the center channel (in particular because of the close proximity to your front speakers), to "match" the fronts.  If minor trim differences don't bother you then you have more options that way.

Again, just my 2 cents. In the end you should choose what you think works for you, don't go simply by what someone else tells you, cause a lot of the time they don't know any more than you do. :) Nothing wrong for gathering input however, sometimes it can trigger a thought you might not have otherwise had. Let me know what you finally choose.

Red's Driver

• Like 1

Hey Red's. Thanks for the input.

I've just been out of it for a long time and don't want to pick the wrong Center especially that will harmonize with the fronts I have. I could sell them and start fresh and it would make things a lot easier I suppose.

The 2 Reference series Centers are 100w, while the Reference Premiere 600C is the closest size wise to the recommended center from back in 2006 when the Ref IV's were new.

you read so much about timbre matching for the front 3 speakers and i just don't want to spend money on something that I may end up being unhappy about. So i was just hoping someone on this forum may have had to do something similar to me and had some thoughts, or ideas.