Klipsch La Scala Crossovers

Scott marek

On 12/24/2021 at 11:18 PM, Nuttzy1 said:

I have a pair of 1990 la scala's with Al-3 crossovers. Are these good crossovers? I have had them for a decade and run a pair of 10in subs with them because they really lack bass. They do sound great but not without subs. Are there recommendations for updates to the al-3 crossovers? I have used many many different amps with these to try to get the sound I want surprisingly my favorite sounding amp is my sansui au717. 

Lascala’s are unique speakers and require special attention when using a subwoofer. The absolute worst thing that people do when running a sub with Lascala or Klipschorn is to cross them over at 90 hz or even lower. Lascala’s have tremendous slam and snap in the lower bass range that almost no subwoofer can match (104 db 1 watt/ meter). The solution is to run your Lascala’s full range , and run your sub in augmentation mode , pulling augmentation away at 60 hz or so. The last thing that you want to do is attenuate the glorious Lascala bass , use every bit of what they offer .Try it🤓

Edited by Tom05
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just priced the PPT Theta caps at PE for the AA xover. Depending on how you “make up” the values for the 13uf cap it came out to be ~$300 for a complete set. I am considering going this route for a pair of 1975 LS along with 3636's and better gauge/quality inductors.

5 hours ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

With the 3636 I build 4dB down. 

Input tap X, output tap 3. 

If you do this, you can use a single 10uF capacitor.

Wow, thanks Deang for the tip. And you meantiond that going to the a55g 1st gen over the k55v would not need any type of changes.