New Project: Chop top LS with Double Stack ESS AMT-1

I don't want to thread crap elsewhere, so I'll start my own build thread. @Randyh, this is for you.

I've wanted to go with an active crossover for a few months now, as well us change things up with my LS build. It's not that I hated any particular thing, I'm just antsy. So when this thread popped up a few weeks ago I was immediately intrigued and decided to move forward with it.

I want to use my existing cabinets, which are factory black and already in need of some chip repair and a repaint. So I committed to chopping the tops off. While I'm at it, I figure I'll reinforce the sides with an extra layer of plywood. I also want to add some thick rubber cabinet feet to the bottoms, so I'm going to add a layer of plywood there for enough bite to make them stable without penetrating into the horn mouth. And then the tops for symmetry a fresh start.

I've used woodworking tools since I was a kid, but all of my current kit is geared towards rough construction projects on the farm. I'll be building the wings and painting at another forum member's shop to ensure that I achieve a finish suitable for the living room.

• Like 1

Today was top chopping day. I borrowed a router from my dad, and bought a 3-blade trim bit and a pull saw. I pulled the trim off the front section, then used the pull saw to cut down the sides of the top hats. Then I just pivoted forward to remove the top hats and motor boards off in one piece. Then I just trimmed down the rough edges with the router.

La Scala build project

La Scala build project

La Scala build project

Interesting to note is that the top of the bass bin doesn't run flush to the front with the sides. The motor board makes up that last 3/4" and so now I'll have to trim a small piece to fill that in.

La Scala build project

La Scala build project

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

So I committed to chopping the tops off. While I'm at it, I figure I'll reinforce the sides with an extra layer of plywood. I also want to add some thick rubber cabinet feet to the bottoms, so I'm going to add a layer of plywood there for enough bite to make them stable without penetrating into the horn mouth. And then the tops for symmetry a fresh start.

@CECAA850, this is my logic on the plywood sheathing path. I like having heavy, inert cabinets that aren't a tip risk for kids and those feet on my F-20 were perfect.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Interesting to note is that the top of the bass bin doesn't run flush to the front with the sides. The motor board makes up that last 3/4" and so now I'll have to trim a small piece to fill that in. 

La Scala build project

I left part of the HF front panel behind to cover that area of the peak.  It was ultimately covered with trim in my case so I knew it wouldn't show.  Essentially a 3/4" shim.   Since I was rebuilding the tops anyway, it didn't matter that I lost part of the front panel.

Awesome project, I have a thread around here on some mods that I made to mine.  Fortunately someone had previous cut the top off for me.  All I had to do was build the top cabinet that is now fitting with the K510.  One thing I did that is also done on splits, is router out he hold behind the doghouse where you can add 5 way binding post.  This will allow for use of banana plugs and hide the connections, which is all personal preference.   Good luck on your project and keep the pictures coming.

Here is a couple of links for when I did mine

• Like 1

1 hour ago, codewritinfool said:

I left part of the HF front panel behind to cover that area of the peak.  It was ultimately covered with trim in my case so I knew it wouldn't show.  Essentially a 3/4" shim.   Since I was rebuilding the tops anyway, it didn't matter that I lost part of the front panel.

Yeah.. I should have cut through the front panel but wasn't sure which way the brads were put in to secure it at the factory. I also thought the top to the dog house ran all the way to the front edge and that the baffle sat on top of it. oh well.

1 minute ago, Pete H said:

What are you listening to during the project?  Glad to see you doing this now, so you can bring them to the SWAG

My yamaha SM15 IV stage monitors/club speakers. I had been using one as a passable center speaker, but this project will be seeing me reduce down to 2.2 stereo. So they're up on ikea side tables and already Morgan has expressed displeasure at their sound quality.

4 minutes ago, Pete H said:

What are you listening to during the project?  Glad to see you doing this now, so you can bring them to the SWAG

That's still kind of the goal. We'll see how far I get down the road by then. It also depends on when paint happens - they won't be going anywhere but home once that's done.

16 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

There's a void that I can cut into which won't "break" the horn path?

16 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

it looks like you cut a hole and then used a flush trim bit, but no template?

That is correct.  I think the first thread I had explains this more so, but no need for a template as the little ramp is used as one.

3 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I see this picture from his other thread and it looks like that's where the voids exist and possibly even the template for the router bit to follow.

Bingo

• Thanks 1