New Project: Chop top LS with Double Stack ESS AMT-1

Also spending some time working on my panel gluing jig. This gets the panels roughly centered for final routing. I'll be doing one at a time and keeping the speaker on its back the whole time to minimize screwing up the new faces. The clamps will keep things in place u til I get the 4 straps tightened down.

Let cure, then trim and move on to the next side.

2A9CBEA9-E8E7-47CF-B035-1BDAB56AFB49.jpeg.1f78324403e6b04e37ed1e70dde56feb.jpeg

46A0533D-C1B8-46F2-BD18-A6674D62A348.jpeg.fc7b14e231c9458cfe53ad2b09cf0f24.jpeg

• Like 1

I am going to experiment with the front wings overhanging the bass bin. My guess is the imaging will be a little better having the heil diaphragm flush with the front of the cab. We will see. The wings will hang out a little, but luckily my listening room is low traffic.

54 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Me Too! I can see why Rudy didn't like it on his bass bins, but with the almost square la scala bins it just looks kinda stout and fitting.

The other issue I had with the larger wings is that I could not place such a large structure on my center channel....not enough room before it would hit my screen frame.

Also, I don't need the lowest of crossover capability. Those LaS bins do look good with the larger wings on top! Overall should be a simple build if you go with plywood of your choice.  If you plan on staining, you can find various types of plywood with stain quality sides at the lumber yard I mentioned to you.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Randyh said:

how does it sound like , any crossover needed , does it replace both the midrange and tweeter or are you adding the tweeter on top of the bow tie ,

Take a look at the thread linked above. All the information to implement this is located there.

11 minutes ago, Randyh said:

how does it sound like , any crossover needed , does it replace both the midrange and tweeter or are you adding the tweeter on top of the bow tie ,

It replaces the mid/tweets. Check ChrisA's thread on this whole project of trying to create a quasi-generic kit with these drivers for use with Heritage.

1 minute ago, Randyh said:

hi ThAD , -- few questions   , did you sand the panel completely  before adding the Gorilla glue  or only partially ,  did you apply the glue with a roller -on both panels - any brads in between these 2 panels yet  or is adding brads not needed 

This was purely a mockup to show how clever I am. The exterior panels have some texture to them, so I'm leaving as-is. I'll be gluing only, with 4 straps across during dry-time to ensure solid pressure along the whole panel. Also switching to TightBond wood glue for the panels, at the recommendation of others.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

The other issue I had with the larger wings is that I could not place such a large structure on my center channel....not enough room before it would hit my screen frame.

Also, I don't need the lowest of crossover capability. Those LaS bins do look good with the larger wings on top! Overall should be a simple build if you go with plywood of your choice.  If you plan on staining, you can find various types of plywood with stain quality sides at the lumber yard I mentioned to you.

I think the 12" wings, all plywood will be the way to go. Can we use your modified 7" design of recessing the outer support brace a bit and just rounding off the edge? Morgan didn't hate the butted edges of plywood, but I do think your final design has that extra bit of fit and finish to it.

4 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I think the 12" wings, all plywood will be the way to go. Can we use your modified 7" design of recessing the outer support brace a bit and just rounding off the edge? Morgan didn't hate the butted edges of plywood, but I do think your final design has that extra bit of fit and finish to it.

Absolutely!

On 2/5/2020 at 12:13 PM, The Dude said:

Which route you thinking about going for amplification after you get your digital crossover (maybe its in your build thread, I'll head over there now)?  I just received a Parasound HCA-806 which will allow me to bi amp my L/C/Rs.  I just got it installed in the system last night and will hopefully be finishing setup this evening.  

So I'm taking a gamble on some amps I recently came across. They've got more of a presence over in Europe, but don't seem to be out there much in the N. America market, especially in home audio. Class D, dynamic load balancing between channels, auto on/off, auto clip limiting, and all in a 1U package. Decided to pull the trigger on a set of 3 amps since I was able to move all of my gear. I may add a 4th so each sub gets its own, though these offer the same amount of power on paper as my PLX 1202, which was perfectly suitable.

Lab.Gruppen E Series 4:2

https://www.labgruppen.com/Categories/Labgruppen/Power-Amplifiers/Installed-Sound/E-4%3A2/p/P0DFD

Sounds good on the Yamaha speakers I currently have running while the project is underway, but will see how that translates to the individual components.

2 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Isn't whatsoever so far. But I also have the rack in a closet so I'm not super sensitive to such things. I'll report back once I have them all running and have some real sound being produced.

Most excellent!

1 minute ago, Rudy81 said:

Most excellent!

Yeah, I'm excited about them. Your concerns about flopping back and forth with gain structure definitely gave me pause. I considered some older Yamaha pro amps for a hot minute, and then came across these. Price was similar, but the newer tech and form factor had me intrigued.

2 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Yeah, I'm excited about them. Your concerns about flopping back and forth with gain structure definitely gave me pause. I considered some older Yamaha pro amps for a hot minute, and then came across these. Price was similar, but the newer tech and form factor had me intrigued.

With all modern gear, you should not have any issues with gain structure.....seems more applicable to strictly all pro gear.  You will only have an issue if you happen to have a noisy component in the chain. Just reading the papers on gain structure gives me a headache.

Sanded down tops and sides for gluing down panels today. Got the tips glued and strapped as well. Will trim those panels tomorrow and then glue and strap another side of each speaker.

Slowly but surely making progress. I've also decided that I'm just going to paint these black. The grain isn't particularly attractive and it'll cover up my amateur mistakes that exist here and there.

E4C6463D-7155-47A8-9A28-57CC022723E2.jpeg.9d1c84609190f801035ebb5bed72b151.jpeg