New Project: Chop top LS with Double Stack ESS AMT-1

20 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Added a second coat of paint last night. They're not perfect, but perfectly adequate for my system - spraying likely would have yielded better results, but I lack the tools. Rudy offered, but my own impatience got the better of me and I was already asking for his help in a big way on the HF wings. And they are indeed heavy, so all of the loading and unloading into the back of my truck + hour travel time each way - mistakes were bound to happen.

All is looking good however..............................................  I read that you're using flat black.  You might want to re-coat with satin.  Flat black is horrible to keep clean.  The property that keeps it from reflecting light is the roughness it takes on when it dries.  That same roughness holds dust and won't allow you to wipe it clean.  They won't stay nice looking for long.

5 minutes ago, Schu said:

I didnt read this entire thread mike, but why didnt you assemble the system before finishing to test performance in case any tweaks needed to be performed prior to final finishing?

So far I've just wrapped my LS cabinets in plywood and painted them. ChrisA and Rudy have done the building and measuring of various factors for the HF driver(s) and wings in the other thread, so I'm fairly confident in running with what I've got.

5 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

All is looking good however..............................................  I read that you're using flat black.  You might want to re-coat with satin.  Flat black is horrible to keep clean.  The property that keeps it from reflecting light is the roughness it takes on when it dries.  That same roughness holds dust and won't allow you to wipe it clean.  They won't stay nice looking for long.

I've used this on some other things in the house. You're not wrong, but it hasn't been too much too maintain.

2 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Dry, but letting them cure for a week or so.

D21B471B-B22F-43E2-B0A7-17E56D987872.jpeg.a6e9438f5d256c3a5a5089062c29355c.jpeg

12 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

Ok, now that is just beautiful!

code

You two are in a very small group of individuals that took it upon themselves to cut the top off a pair of La Scalas!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

You two are in a very small group of individuals that took it upon themselves to cut the top off a pair of La Scalas!

Yes, but in my case, it was a no-brainer.  The tops already had gaping holes in the sides for stupid pocket handles, and the wood was in very rough shape.  They had no drivers but real Klipsch paper tags on them, though, and that was good enough for me!

I just had to let them sing once more, and it was the right thing to do.  A friend 😀made me some sweet, sweet corners for the tops, and the rest is history.  Now they've dropped the jaws on MANY people, and I've seen it firsthand.  I'll never tire of witnessing it.  When you hear the truth speak, it changes you, like it did me more than 35 years ago.

The last get-together I had with them, I invited a guy that was involved in music production pretty heavily, and I asked him to critique what he heard.  He sat front and center facing the THTLP, with the La Scalas about 30' apart, converging just behind him.  He sat there for one entire song.  He was expressionless.  He was staring straight ahead for a time, then stared at the left speaker a while, then the right speaker a while.  The 2nd song started and he listened for a bit, got up, and headed toward me.  I asked him if they were ok.  He said, "They are f-ing phenomenal".  "Really?", I said.  "Really.  Don't change anything."  With that, the work was totally worth it.

This past weekend I added some mid-span screws to the edge trim to stop some vibrations I was hearing at higher volumes.

Like @Thaddeus Smith, I have no regrets either.  They are stunning. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is what it's all about. It is actually easy to forget just how these walk all over most anything else. I had a friend over once and I was playing something and he looked at me and asked WHY they sounded so good. I spent the next 30 minutes explaining horn loading, lower distortion, efficiency, etc. The nice thing was, he actually gets it. 😉 👍

• Like 1

Do you guys have a suggestion for bottom gasket material? I purchased standard speaker gasket stuff from Parts-Express, but it's really thick in comparison to the OEM stuff on the original panels. I've found some possible candidates online, but it's ridiculous quantities and cost from places like McMaster Carr, etc.

18 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Do you guys have a suggestion for bottom gasket material? I purchased standard speaker gasket stuff from Parts-Express, but it's really thick in comparison to the OEM stuff on the original panels. I've found some possible candidates online, but it's ridiculous quantities and cost from places like McMaster Carr, etc.

I have one of those old school hardware stores near me. They had a flat sheet of rubber/gasket material black on one sire and reddish on the other. Not too thick. I was looking for a solution to my beer brewing needs when I found it. Sorry no picture but it could easily be cut into strips.

If you have one of those stores in town; might be worth a check with the old curmudgeon behind the counter who looks down his nose at you because you don't instantly know the bolt's length, size and thread pitch from across the room. I had to ask for gasket-like-sheet-thingy. He knew exactly what I meant.

2 minutes ago, rplace said:

I have one of those old school hardware stores near me. They had a flat sheet of rubber/gasket material black on one sire and reddish on the other. Not too thick. I was looking for a solution to my beer brewing needs when I found it. Sorry no picture but it could easily be cut into strips.

If you have one of those stores in town; might be worth a check with the old curmudgeon behind the counter who looks down his nose at you because you don't instantly know the bolt's length, size and thread pitch from across the room. I had to ask for gasket-like-sheet-thingy. He knew exactly what I meant.

Wasn't sure if there was an established solution for this need. I've got an Ace hardware in town.. I'll pop over and see what I can find, thanks!

• Like 1

Just now, Thaddeus Smith said:

Wasn't sure if there was an established solution for this need. I've got an Ace hardware in town.. I'll pop over and see what I can find, thanks!

Just another thought did  you check Bob Crite's site? Seems like he has all things Klipsch-esque but with a miserable web site to find it. Might be worth an email.

• Like 1

I found some thin weatherstripping material at Ace.