New Project: Chop top LS with Double Stack ESS AMT-1

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Do you guys have a suggestion for bottom gasket material? I purchased standard speaker gasket stuff from Parts-Express, but it's really thick in comparison to the OEM stuff on the original panels. I've found some possible candidates online, but it's ridiculous quantities and cost from places like McMaster Carr, etc.

The thinner stuff from Parts Express will compress.  I just used it on my LSI's.In addition, it's on the bottom so who cares if the door sticks out 1/32" past the body.  You have feet right?  There's really no need to go out and buy something else.

Do you guys have a suggestion for bottom gasket material? I purchased standard speaker gasket stuff from Parts-Express, but it's really thick in comparison to the OEM stuff on the original panels. I've found some possible candidates online, but it's ridiculous quantities and cost from places like McMaster Carr, etc.

Umm I cut up my wife's old yoga mat, works perfect.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The thinner stuff from Parts Express will compress.  I just used it on my LSI's.In addition, it's on the bottom so who cares if the door sticks out 1/32" past the body.  You have feet right?  There's really no need to go out and buy something else.

You'll see why I'm asking when I post final pics.. The new panel goes edge to edge.

Couldn't take it any longer. Wife helped me gingerly move the cabinets inside. Woofers are installed. Bottoms are installed. The gaskets didn't really compress all that much, but everything is torqued down and sealed tightly.

Currently running some new wire for the additional drivers, which means extra labeling, termination, etc. I trying to get music playing tonight, so that also means unboxing my Heil drivers finally and getting them wired up and on top of the cabinets temporarily.

The Yamaha xo has some basic configs in place and I just need to do some quick level matching. "Burn in" during normal usage until I get the xwings home and start measurements in earnest.

1B6E6B60-0BD8-4420-904B-2254C6919A1E.jpeg.f81ceb4a7de582e66c824d0c5ef70835.jpeg

BCEAA226-E020-4194-BF0B-F3254710E3D1.jpeg.8641ddfc9fc5a424a6442f8839cbdf85.jpeg

40847722-DC57-4DAE-B74D-0B96BCCEB616.jpeg.7b3978954e87eca65ad100129f0ed0b4.jpeg

• Like 5

I switched to using low voltage landscape wire a couple years ago. This stuff is good stranded wire with heavy sheathing and it uncoils flat almost immediately. 12ga on the subs and I'm going with 14ga for the mains. And since I have so many runs now I'm also nerding out with the labeling.. Dymo sticky labels on each end with clear shrink tubing to ensure it stays long term.

88A7819F-D543-4C54-8DE3-BCAD9FB0845D.jpeg.a2685b195cec7927c533adc4bc79ddf9.jpeg

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Couldn't take it any longer. Wife helped me gingerly move the cabinets inside. Woofers are installed. Bottoms are installed. The gaskets didn't really compress all that much, but everything is torqued down and sealed tightly.

Currently running some new wire for the additional drivers, which means extra labeling, termination, etc. I trying to get music playing tonight, so that also means unboxing my Heil drivers finally and getting them wired up and on top of the cabinets temporarily.

The Yamaha xo has some basic configs in place and I just need to do some quick level matching. "Burn in" during normal usage until I get the xwings home and start measurements in earnest.

1B6E6B60-0BD8-4420-904B-2254C6919A1E.jpeg.f81ceb4a7de582e66c824d0c5ef70835.jpeg

BCEAA226-E020-4194-BF0B-F3254710E3D1.jpeg.8641ddfc9fc5a424a6442f8839cbdf85.jpeg

40847722-DC57-4DAE-B74D-0B96BCCEB616.jpeg.7b3978954e87eca65ad100129f0ed0b4.jpeg

Lookin' good, brother!  Please update tonight with how they sound!

12 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

we have music! it's fun to hear the differences in tweaking xover frequencies on the fly and I clearly have some tweaking to do, but they'll function for now during the break-in period and they'are certainly better than the yamaha's I've been using.

Great news. Keep us posted on your progress with the Yamaha.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I switched to using low voltage landscape wire a couple years ago. This stuff is good stranded wire with heavy sheathing and it uncoils flat almost immediately. 12ga on the subs and I'm going with 14ga for the mains. And since I have so many runs now I'm also needing out with the labeling.. Dymo sticky labels on each end with clear shrink tubing to ensure it stays long term.

88A7819F-D543-4C54-8DE3-BCAD9FB0845D.jpeg.a2685b195cec7927c533adc4bc79ddf9.jpeg

What brand is the cable you purchased, Michael? That looks really nice. I've found a lot of the zip cord you can buy isn't very flexible.

2 hours ago, Marvel said:

What brand is the cable you purchased, Michael? That looks really nice. I've found a lot of the zip cord you can buy isn't very flexible.

Southwire is the brand.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-100-ft-14-2-Black-Stranded-CU-Low-Voltage-Landscape-Lighting-Wire-55213243/202316247?MERCH=REC-_-PLP_Browse_Mobile-_-NA-_-202316247-_-N

• Like 1

This is no doubt learning curve related. I  do have a low but constant "shhhhhhhhh" noise in the HF drivers. Audible when nothing is playing, less so when there's content. Muting input signals and output in the Yamaha doesn't change the behavior and the loudness doesn't change with volume up or down. Trim levels in the AVR are 0, as are the input and output levels in the Yamaha. I suspect I need to play with some gain matching. It's not electrical hum, of that I am sure.

39 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Action shot before wings.

0B6B7C32-F6B9-4BE0-A87A-B76859E0BE10.jpeg.8b427c10e699e8a867dc0fb4e379935a.jpeg

Looks great. I'm typically not a fan of big, black speakers but works great in your space, especially with the TV and cabinet below it. The LS bass bins look great with the additional thickness all around.

28 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

This is no doubt learning curve related. I  do have a low but constant "shhhhhhhhh" noise in the HF drivers. Audible when nothing is playing, less so when there's content. Muting input signals and output in the Yamaha doesn't change the behavior and the loudness doesn't change with volume up or down. Trim levels in the AVR are 0, as are the input and output levels in the Yamaha. I suspect I need to play with some gain matching. It's not electrical hum, of that I am sure.

Yes, that's gain related.

• Like 1

Action shot before wings.

0B6B7C32-F6B9-4BE0-A87A-B76859E0BE10.jpeg.8b427c10e699e8a867dc0fb4e379935a.jpeg

I didn't recall that the leads were so short. @Rudy81, remind me what you did for the top driver so the barrier strip could be mounted at the base? I've currently got it sitting on a stack of coasters so it sits closer to mid height of the driver stack.

5A3BF766-8F77-436F-B32E-8E6369EDE4C6.jpeg.cf8f69848abf3c9f59a101e2d48f7e36.jpeg

Yes, the leads are too short for our stack.  What I did was to solder extra wire to the leads to make them plenty long.  I also used red/black wiring to make the connections make standard.

The shhhh is most likely from one of your components. Once again, I remind you to be SUPER careful with the leads.  You don't want to go through my nightmare.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

Once again, I remind you to be SUPER careful with the leads.  You don't want to go through my nightmare.

Yup, which is why I went straight to crimping spades as soon as I saw the pre stripped leads.

What impact would there be by mounting the barrier strip to the inside face of a rear wing?