New Project: Chop top LS with Double Stack ESS AMT-1

Just now, Thaddeus Smith said:

To their credit, it's unbox, then unbox again, then unbox again, then unbag. :D

Agreed!  I think I commented that it was the best packaging for shipping that I had ever seen.  Maybe the people that do the packaging need to be in charge of QC on the actual build and assembly of the drivers.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

OK, there's a substantial improvement in the depth of soundstage and separation between instruments/vocals/etc. Not sure if it's the introduction of the software upsampling algorithms or simplification of the signal path, but it's good.

Probably a little of both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete H said:

Agreed!  I think I commented that it was the best packaging for shipping that I had ever seen.  Maybe the people that do the packaging need to be in charge of QC on the actual build and assembly of the drivers.

Naaaa....:)

On 3/31/2020 at 12:56 PM, CECAA850 said:

It's not plug and play and it's more expensive.

Not necessarily, while it does require some set up it is not that difficult initially. As far as cost is concerned it depends on what you are comparing. A stock setup, yes. Aftermarket setup probably not. Before converting to the Heil/wings I was using ALK extreme slope networks, B&C DCM 50 midrange drivers, Eliptrac horns and Dayton AMT tweeters. I will let you do the math. To be fair I am using a MiniDSP HD which is inexpensive by comparison. I am very pleased so far with the MiniDSP HD. I am not experiencing any noise from the drivers at idle as some had reported with the non HD version. 

On 3/31/2020 at 1:09 PM, Pete H said:

It's unbox, solder extensions, build wings, get another amp, a dsp unit, test mic and then rely on @Rudy81 (hope to hear from him soon) and @Chris A and others, to educate you enough that you don't fry the drivers.  Just slightly more than plug and play.  

The daunting part of this for me is setting up the DSP. @Chris A was nice enough to offer his help to get me get beyond the basic setup. However getting the inputs and outputs assigned, and the basic crossover frequencies for each driver is very straightforward. This will get you listing to these in minutes. This will also allow you to get some baseline measurements. The drivers do break in so the initial settings will have to be revisited. That is where I am at now. I took the plunge and went through the instructions on how to generate PEQ settings in REW for the DSP plugin. It took me about 10 measurements to get a good response from the settings. I will post the curve below. I probably still need to tweak the time alignment a little. There is a good thread started by Chris that I will finish going through to make those adjustments soon. I am sure that there are many other tweaks I can make to my crossover file to further improve the sound, but at this moment it sounds nothing short of amazing. Much better than my previous set up.

The best part of the DSP network is you can make adjustments, measure, make adjustments all in real time. I did not have to unplug anything or swap cables around to go from measuring, updating the network and listening to music. I think everyone on this forum has the ability to figure this out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Of note, the Beatles albums mostly sound like garbage on this resolving system. I guess @thebes is correct. I've yet to play any of my favorite grunge rock from the 90's since they likely suffer the same.

Have you listened to the Beatles 50th Anniversary Abbey Road? I find it amazing, but I'm also listening to the complexity they managed with the technology of the day.

Just now, Marvel said:

Have you listened to the Beatles 50th Anniversary Abbey Road? I find it amazing, but I'm also listening to the complexity they managed with the technology of the day.

I have the remasters which came out a few years ago. I'm mostly being facetious, but was listening to the white album and it just didn't sound good.

Beatles recordings have responded most strongly to demastering in my experience.  Additionally, I find that "grunge rock"  responds strongly to demastering EQ, i.e., taking out huge amounts of boosting EQ in the 1-6 kHz band.

• Like 1

For instance:

91l7ue6WOhL._SL1500_.jpg

...A sort of hand-to-mouth approach to demastering from five years ago, complete with XML demastering curves for each track on the album (for those afraid of doing a little work on their favorite music tracks  ;)). 

Once demastering EQ is applied and the new music files saved, you never have to do it again...problem solved (at its source). 

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2020 at 3:56 PM, No.4 said:

Not necessarily, while it does require some set up it is not that difficult initially.

On 4/1/2020 at 3:56 PM, No.4 said:

The daunting part of this for me is setting up the DSP.

Mmmmmmmk.

Like I said, it's not plug and play.

52 minutes ago, GeorgeK said:

Good morning Are you still happy with your Lab Gruppen power amps? I'm copying you setup. So far I've got La Sacala  base bins  and a Xilica 4080. thanks George

I am! Since it's multipurpose the auto off/on power features are really useful. Amps are silent and run cool. My HF drivers can still be heard with my ear on them, but I'm sure that's a function of my gain matching and DSP choice - I've mitigated it to a point where it doesn't bother me when sitting like a normal person in the room. They seem to have plenty of good clean power for sub, LF, and HF duty.

5 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Mmmmmmmk.

Like I said, it's not plug and play.

No it is not. However, if you can follow simple instructions you can be listening to music in minutes. I cannot speak for the other active crossovers, but I can say, the MiniDSP HD is user friendly.