New Project: Chop top LS with Double Stack ESS AMT-1

4 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Good suggestions all around. I think I'll go with these simple braces that Dave A put together last year..

From there I'll just patch, sand and repaint everything black for the stealth look. Maybe I stain/oil my HF wing structure for that contrast I'm looking to achieve.

Are you doing this before SWAG? If you bringing them are why not do just one and then let everyone hear the difference

15 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

From there I'll just patch, sand and repaint everything black for the stealth look. Maybe I stain/oil my HF wing structure for that contrast I'm looking to achieve.

You have tons of choices to get the look that you're after.  You can always add veneer to the top and sides if you don't get the look with the wing alone.  

• Like 1

Cut the access holes for my new speakon connections at the bottom. Also pivoted back to my original plan of external plywood. It's home depot grade (5 ply) and had them just cut in 26x26" squares that I'll finish out with the router. Then I'll stain and oil with fresh paint on the rear, front edges, and mouth. Used some of the excess to cut little strips for the Front top trim piece I removed earlier.

I just don't like the look of the internal mouth braces and I really wanted to try and dress up the bass bins a bit for better WAF appeal since I'll have these winged monstrosities sitting on top.

9D7C2E07-4F64-4A0D-B273-4808384DFDED.jpeg.75ca68b2bfc2ccddc4dec1629a1364f6.jpeg

• Like 1

And there you have it.  A decision has been made and you continue to move forward.  With what you are doing, 5 ply or 18 ply isn't going to make a difference to stiffen the boxes as long as it's adhered to the panels so that it acts as 1 and stiffens it to stop the cabinet from flexing, which you didn't hear in the first place.  It's all good and you get the look you were going after.

1 hour ago, Pete H said:

And there you have it.  A decision has been made and you continue to move forward.  With what you are doing, 5 ply or 18 ply isn't going to make a difference to stiffen the boxes as long as it's adhered to the panels so that it acts as 1 and stiffens it to stop the cabinet from flexing, which you didn't hear in the first place.  It's all good and you get the look you were going after.

Thanks man. I think out loud a lot, and filter through those thoughts on the fly. So I'm sure it looks like I'm flip flopping a bunch. After looking at the x-wings I'll be building I'll need plywood anyways and hopefully I can use the majority of my off cuts for those, so it felt less wasteful. Since I'm reducing down to just stereo I wanted to make these more attractive and robust. This whole setup will be a bit cozy in our current house, but the plan is to have these in the future house as well (btw, I have a new set of plans I want to send you).

I'm also trying to avoid buying a bunch of tools. So I'm hesitant on some of these ideas until I can figure out how to borrow the tool or utilize someone's shop to pull together what I need.

3 minutes ago, Randyh said:

HI  Thad  -great work on  cutting up this triangle shaped opening ,  ,   could be a stupid question , but why  ?   is all that work needed and oddly ,  I would have thought that the inside would have been hollow , but no , I see wood on the inside walls of the triangle ---------I am a bit lost as where exactly you are working on the cab , I see the bottom door opening -

this is the bottom rear of the cabinet, so I can relocate the woofer connecter from the top (where I'll have my X wing driver contraption) to the back, now with a speakon connector instead of barrier strip. 

Check out the threads linked earlier here the what and why this triangle pocket exists.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Randyh said:

HI  Thad  -great work on  cutting up this triangle shaped opening ,  ,   could be a stupid question , but why  ?   is all that work needed and oddly ,  I would have thought that the inside would have been hollow , but no , I see wood on the inside walls of the triangle ---------I am a bit lost as where exactly you are working on the cab , I see the bottom door opening -

That cutout is the way two piece LSI's were feeding the bass bin only the cutout was at the top and not the bottom. No way to break things off during moving.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave A said:

That cutout is the way two piece LSI's were feeding the bass bin only the cutout was at the top and not the bottom. No way to break things off during moving.

Yup. I decided to do it at the bottom for cleaner wire routing. Since I'll be adding a fresh panel of 3/4" plywood that goes edge to edge and these will only be moved a handful of times it seemed less of a concern for breakage.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Randyh said:

now -  find yourself a small piece of clear plexiglass - and that area can be sealed from dirt

it's entirely closed off from the rest of the horn mouth and woofer chamber and should be fine. Far less of a collector than the open top hat of a la scala or khorn.

• Like 1