Do RP-600Ms benefit from any burn-in?

randyps66

Just got them hooked up and running off my Denon integrated amp, using Blue Jeans Cable, Dac is a Schiit modi 3 and a Lodi Eq.  I've heard some speakers benefit or loosen up after some burnin time.  The 600ms at least on the first Lossless track i played sound a bit muffled on upper frequencies.

Edited by randyps66
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, randyps66 said:

Just got them hooked up and running off my Denon integrated amp, using Blue Jeans Cable, Dac is a Schiit modi 3 and a Lodi Eq.  I've heard some speakers benefit or loosen up after some burnin time.  The 600ms at least on the first Lossless track i played sound a bit muffled on upper frequencies.

Same is said about the electronics burning also. Cannot dispute this as have witnessed this on different occasions. Real or perceived, your ears may well do the same. Enjoy

• Like 1

Typically not broken in would lead to strident sound with lack of bass.  Usually they would warm up and flatten out in sound over time.

600Ms should not be muffled and should have an abundance of highs unless you are coming from some speakers that were very hot on top.  There is a dip in the 1500hz area but that should not be muffled.  Take a look at the Stereophile measurements.

• Moderators

Never really believed in burn-in until  I heard it myself after a couple three weeks on Cornwall lll's. I thought it was just me getting used to them but one day my wife asked what did you do it sounds better ? We never talked about it before, I thought it was just me, something happened.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, dtel said:

Never really believed in burn-in until  I heard it myself after a couple three weeks on Cornwall lll's. I thought it was just me getting used to them but one day my wife asked what did you do it sounds better ? We never talked about it before, I thought it was just me, something happened.

Typically the opening up is on the bottom end, not the top.  The top end usually relaxes a little but...  It could also be what someone was used to listening to before which is relevant.  You get used to certain sound profiles.

• Like 2

Some recordings sound flat. Crap in crap out. Try something you know sounds great to your ears. I can't imagine those speakers sounding flat unless you went to a few 100 motorhead concerts beforehand. I love that little Loki in my system. When I was younger I ran lots of treble. Now that im in my 50s I have to back it down.  Make sure the  jumpers are installed on the speaker posts. I have the RP280F speakers and like them alot.  About the same tweeter. If I crank my treble it is way to much. I would think yours would be also.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Typically the opening up is on the bottom end, not the top.  The top end usually relaxes a little but...  It could also be what someone was used to listening to before which is relevant.  You get used to certain sound profiles.

That makes sense, the bigger stiffer drivers would be slower to get used to movement. 

The second thing you said was more of what I had always thought what was really happening when people hear burn in.

What surprised me was after 2-3 weeks of everyday use there was an almost overnight change, couldn't really tell what changed but it was just a better change you could hear even without really sitting down but casually being in the area. 

But the other side of it is there were other electronic parts in the chain like an old (HK 930) so it would not be impossible something else changed after being somewhat idle for a while ?

Don't know the real cause but was happy about it.  Forte's 1 & 2 and Heresy's were what was used pryer.

Break-in of speakers is a real thing.  It’s a mechanical issue.  The suspensions of the various drivers are initially quite stiff, like new jeans, and need some playing time to become as flexible as they should be.  The various drivers will break in at different rates, but within a month everything should be operating operating within normal parameters, as Commander Data used to say.

This principle applies to most transducers.  In the case of a phono cartridge, the suspension of the stylus is pretty stiff right out of the box.  When I put a new stylus on my Shure M97xE cartridge, bass notes can sound like someone slapping a thin sheet of plywood, which is pretty far from being either accurate or pleasant.

After playing about ten LP sides, the sound improves, but it can take 20-25 LP sides before the suspension of the stylus attains its proper flexibility and allows the cartridge to sound the way it should.  That’s only four or five hours of playing time, so it’s not a big deal.  Same thing with speakers.  After ten or so hours of playing, you should notice definite improvements in the sound, but that’s just a general statement.   Every type of speaker is different, so yours may take more or less time to become fully broken in.

Enjoy the process.  Happy listening!

• 2 weeks later...

Klipsch has recommended I go to bare wire 16 gauge wire which I am connecting between Denon amp and 600ms.  Many good points made. crap in crap out is one.  Need to find some hi-res music on Amazon Music to play.  I have the Ultimate HD subscription at the moment.  I can't play them too loud (ijn apartment0 but maybe violins in classical or any other suggestions welcome.

On 1/20/2020 at 9:46 PM, randyps66 said:

Typically two things happen during break-in: there's a mechanical break-in of the diaphragms, typically the sound will be more relaxed, less "constrained" and less stiff; then there's an electrical break-in of the capacitors in the crossover, which may take longer with some capacitors, depending what they are made of. Typically smoother top end and wider, more opened / detailed sound when everything has settled down.

I had once to change the diaphragm in one of my Beyma tweeters; the freshly fixed tweeter sounded harsh and louder than the "old" tweeter for a couple of days, displacing the stereo image to one side; then after settling in all became balanced again and the stereo image came back to the center.

When I got my brand new A55G drivers they sounded nasal and not very defined at first and it took a few days before I started to gain real improvement compared to the old K55V.

Break-in is a very real thing.