DYNAMAT ... Is it truly worth the price?

Tony T

On 1/13/2024 at 6:34 PM, avguytx said:

I just find it funny in looking back through this thread, like so many, where posts have turned into this (below):

I thought the same thing. Maybe he changed his mind.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Mycuff said:

I'm buying 18 ft of Kilmat.   Is the roller needed to improve performance vs. just pressing it on?

I can't answer your question. I will share that I believe it to be most important to not trap any air. Regardless if you use a roller or simply press it on, make sure to start in the middle and 'roll' the material out.  If you do have a bubble, it would be best to poke a small hole in the matting so the air can escape and you can press the matting and adhere it to the horn. 

My horns are out and all cleaned up.  For those of you who have wrapped your horns, did you just measure and cut the pieces to fit the four sides, or do you think it is necessary to overlay the material?  My Kilmat is arriving today, hopefully.  I'm going to first tape them with the yellow easy release Frog tape and then put on the Kilmat.  I'll post pics when complete.

horns.jpeg

• Like 1

Well since I didn't keep one bare I couldn't compare them in the speakers.  Subjectively they sound better, but that may just be wishful thinking.  I did compare how they sounded when I knocked on them duing the application.  The wrapped one went thunk and the bare one rang like a bell.  It was a fun activity, and I cleaned all the dust bunnies out of the cabinet.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mycuff said:

Well since I didn't keep one bare I couldn't compare them in the speakers.  Subjectively they sound better, but that may just be wishful thinking.  I did compare how they sounded when I knocked on them duing the application.  The wrapped one went thunk and the bare one rang like a bell.  It was a fun activity, and I cleaned all the dust bunnies out of the cabinet.

I’ve wrapped all my K-400’s that I’ve owned in sound deadening material. Definitely makes a difference in the knock test, but not so much in actual listening. I also like the experience.