I'm hoping to get some advice from people with more experience with Klipsch speakers / surround sound systems in general.

I will describe my setup, situation and room here because i feel it's important to consider. If you want to skip this and just see my questions, scroll down a bit.

I just upgraded my TV to a LG65C9OLED and am looking to get the sound that will match the picture. At first i was looking into soundbars such as the 2020 Klipsch BAR 54 or LG SN11RG since that would match the TV's eARC capability and they both offer Dolby Atmos/DTS:X.

The problem for me, my livingroom / dining room / kitchen are all connected and one open space (plus it opens up to a hallway as well. I want to take this into consideration when getting a sound system. I measured without the hallway and have about 3000 cubic feet. If that wasn't enough we have tile flooring and two big sliding glass doors to the left and behind our couch and the rest of the room opens up to the right of the couch.

From my research all not optimal conditions and I'm afraid even a modern soundbar will not cut it and also other systems might have some problems. So before i just buy something that most likely can't do the job, I looked into getting a "real" surround system. Choosing something is hard for me, since l have no place nearby that I know of, where i could listen to Klipsch speakers or even compare them to one another or other speakers (I'm from Switzerland by the way).

Heard lots of good reviews and comments about the Klipsch Brand in general but especially the newer Reference Premiere Lines. The specs seem very good and to be honest, I love the way they look too.😍 Since I'm kind of picky, that will set me back more then just the 1500$ for the flagship soundbar 😅 so I will slowly have to buy the individual speakers. But this way i feel i'm on the safer route to getting some good sound into my place.

My plan:

I will start with an AVR that works well with my TV and supports all modern formats. Together with the AVR i'll get the two mains, then a center channel (or would you get the center channel first? I heard all the dialogue comes out of just the center channel). Next the subwoofer, then the surround backs and then the height speakers. 

So far I have the following components in my wishlist and please give any input to this.

- Denon AVR X4500H

- Klipsch RP6000F or RP8000F for mains

- Klipsch RP600C or RP504C as a center

Not realy shure what the rest of the system will be so please give your input. Target is a 5.2.4 system.

I will be using the system for Netflix and movies 60%, for gaming 20% and 20% will be music listening. 

My questions are these:

- In my situation, would you come to the same conclusion regarding the soundbar vs speaker set choice?

- What would be the benefit of having a RP504C over the RP600C or vice versa? How do these compare and which main speakers would you combine them with? 

- Same question for the RP8000F vs the RP6000F

- Is it better to have the same woofer size across all the front Speakers? I heard that somewhere but that's not even possible with the RP8000F. 

I have been looking for someone that has heard the speakers in question (both center options or both mains) that can give me some input. Also anyone in a similar situation or with experience in the topic.

If I left out anything you need to know, feel free to ask, Reading this back, i dont think i did 😂

Thanks for your help!

Chris

• Like 1

It’s like looking in a mirror. We’re literally almost in the same boat in terms of room size/description, gear, usage and end target. 

All I can say - after a lot of time/research - is that I’m extremely pleased with the output of my Marantz SR7013, RP8000’s and RP504C. I don’t feel the need to keep the drivers the same across the front stage. The 504 is a beast and no slouch. 
I was told the PRO 180 (or 160) sets will be a good match for the heights and rear. 
Because you have the X4500, I’d stick with the higher Klipsch series. They’re a very good pairing.

Post pics when ur done. Cheers

• Like 2

1. I would never go for a soundbar period.

2. The main difference between those two centers would be the woofers and the cabinet size. This info can be found on klipsch.com in these speakers own spec sheets. I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful here, just don't know anything worthwhile about these speakers... However, the general rule is to get the biggest center you can, which in this case would be the 504c.

3. 8000F without a doubt. I myself have both the rp280f and the rp250f. Tried them both as fronts and the difference is immense. You'll notice much more power in the 8000f.  Always go big on the front stage(LCR).

4. Ehm no, this information is false. However, having the same type of tweeter across your system is quite important. Thats why its always safe to have speakers from the same series or line within a brand.

• Like 2

Thanks for the information guys. I might have confused woofer and tweeter size. 

Glad to hear the RP8000F / RP504C combo works for you in a similar situation. This is great to hear. So you have no problems with reverberation or echoing? No sound being lost to your right (to where it becomes bothering) or bad reflection from the sliding glass doors? 

I was expecting to get that answer about the soundbar, especially in this forum, but thanks. I think I can rule out one of those 😉😂 would like to hear one once or someones opinion who has heard one of the two mentioned above. I think the money is better invested in some big Speakers. Also good Speakers don't really go bad. 

I have read most of the info here and know the differences in the spec sheets, but there is usually more to this then plain specs. There are things that will not be mentioned in the spec sheet or may only apply in certain situations. That's what I'm here for.

The knowledge about the difference of 25 W, woofer size, frequency and sensitivity don't really help me, because I have very little experience. Also they are fairly close to each other so there's that 🤔

It's hard to estimate how that translates into real world sound differences.

It's not really a question about money either because I am willing to spend a little more if that might be better for my room and type of usage.

Also I have not bought Speakers ever, now that I think of it 😅. Always had hand me downs. This is also my first AVR.

Last system I had I got for a birthday ages ago, this was an old school stereo system with tape player 😂 after that I only had some bluetooth speakers and headphones. So I will definitely be stepping up my game 😂.

I also still have an old, cheap 5.1 speaker set laying around plus another old sub. So I might have a patchwork 7.2 from the beginning. I'll work on making them all RP line in the future.

Any other opinions?

Edited by SwissChris
Spelling

Not to confuse things but... I would go with the 6000’s, 600c and a subwoofer to start.

I used to run RF-62’s with a RC-62 and felt the $/performance was a sweet spot in the Klipsch lineup. I have also owned a few RP series speakers and I preferred them over the RF II’s I just mentioned so I am sure you’d be happy. 

Since you would be saving money on the towers and the center, you could put that money into a 12” or 15” sub;)

There are some great form members here that are also Klipsch dealers, so you can save money if you know who to ask. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, K5SS said:

Not to confuse things but... I would go with the 6000’s, 600c and a subwoofer to start.

I used to run RF-62’s with a RC-62 and felt the $/performance was a sweet spot in the Klipsch lineup. I have also owned a few RP series speakers and I preferred them over the RF II’s I just mentioned so I am sure you’d be happy. 

Since you would be saving money on the towers and the center, you could put that money into a 12” or 15” sub;)

There are some great form members here that are also Klipsch dealers, so you can save money if you know who to ask. 

Hi there!

Just for future reference, who are these klipsch dealers? Have come across some names plenty of times but when it actually matters, I always forget them...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, HenrikTJ said:

Hi there!

Just for future reference, who are these klipsch dealers? Have come across some names plenty of times but when it actually matters, I always forget them...

Hey!

This is the member that I have ordered from in the past:

MetropolisLakeOutfitters 

• Like 2

Thank you for all your replies.

I ordered the Denon AVR-X4500H shortly after my last post. This was my number one priority since my old one was broken. I have been running it with my old speakers until now, mostly for monetary reasons.

I have now managed to save up some money to go for the Klipsch Upgrade 🤗

So after considering the advice given here and found on the topic in general, comparing prices and so on, I have come up with the following shopping list:

Fronts:

RP6000F because they are well balanced and I think these will be sufficient for my usecase in combination with the center channel in my list as well as a Subwoofer. I am trying to not piss of the neighbors to much 😅 as I do live in a apartment building. I won't get a separate amp for the same reason, so I doubt I would benefit much from the extra capabilities the RP8000F offers. 

Center:

RP504C since I am looking for top sound when watching movies, netflix and TV. This is what started my wish to upgrade my sound system in the first place. I want to hear crisp and clear dialogue that can compliment my TVs great picture. This may be my most important speaker (if I'm not listening to music).

Surround:

RP502S, hoping the surround sound won't be as localized and direct. I do expect these to spread the sound more than a regular monopole design would. Also I will most likely place the left one into the corner of the room onto the wall. This design supports this perfectly 👌 

Subwoofer:

SPL-120 because I think it's the best value for the money of the SPL models. I may get a second one at some point so this seems like a good option for that. I may also consider a different brand for the subs so I didn't decide this for sure yet.

Atmos will have to wait for now because I have not researched this enough to make my decision. I do still have 4 smaller speakers I can use for hights right now. Considering the amount of time these speakers will actually be producing sound, I think they are the least important in the system. I am also considering other brands for this purpose. 

Let me know your opinion on my list and anything I might not have considered or gotten wrong.

Edited by SwissChris

• 10 months later...

Hi SwissChris,

I just came across your question, and I am like 95% similar to your situation of room layout, speakers I’m looking at, and even end goal 5.2.4 (would like to do 7.2.4 but just not possible to place the side surround without it cluttering the open living room/kitchen/hall way. 

what did you end up going with? I’m thinking of getting the same receiver plus LCR and 1 sub to start, and would love to know what you ended up with and how far along are you towards the 5.2.4, thanks!

Hey guys. Interesting read. I guess we're all on the same path! I could not pass up that $289 for the RP500C last week, although the 600 would be nice. For now I've got some R41Ms as rears, which are actually quite capable speakers. Can't believe they are 114 for the pair. Theyll be the first to go, but I've got. Long way to go.

I sold my R26FA's, R52C, and R12swi. I got the rp500c, im going to get the rp6000f, and after all the research I've done...the only sub that seems to be very high quality that I can afford is a pb1000, so I'm going duals, over a single pb2000 pro. I get a lot of bass related info from subwoofer101. Its a small YouTube channel and a website where he recommends subs he's tested. They have deep bass. I know this is a klipsch site, so I won't say anything besides that the r12swi wasn't a good fit. I LOVE this new tweeter in the RP I mean...wow. I got this center channel and started selling off everything! I, also, am kinda debating the rp8000f but I don't know about it with the 500c. I could take that $200 savings from the 8000 to the 6000 and use it to replace the 500 with the 600, I suppose. 

Next, ill get 2 rp500SA's at a time. I'm not doing the bouncy house atmos anymore. I'm going "front height" with them. Meaning, on the wall. Powered by the x3700h that I wish was an x4700h. But it'll do the trick. But yea the svs PB1000 dual is where I'm going. 950 shipped. Huge investment, but they've been the best deal on the market for a very long time now. Don't be afraid that they're 10s. They weigh 20lbs more than my klipsch 12. 47-48 pounds! Down to 17hz...and maybe more importantly, the klipsch wouldn't go above 120, and I like to set my lfe at 200hz with my speaker crossovers a little higher than THX. I'm building a real room, but I don't move in until March. So I have a very specific sound at the moment in the living area of my APARTMENT. I hate it. Still going duals.

Hi everyone 

Thanks for your messages. Sorry for not writing back sooner but I did not get notified about your messages. I have also been quite busy in the last few weeks.

Let me update you. So I have placed my order for the pair of RP6000F at the beginning of this week and today I have ordered the RP504C 🤗🤗. Can't wait but I will have to, since both are out of stock for about 3 weeks. 

The rest of my list is in stock so I will wait with ordering those to first get a impression of only the front stage without the Subwoofer, which i still have not decided on for sure. I will most likely stick to my list but want to evaluate each step to be able to notice the differences of adding / replacing speakers. Also I don't want to overload my room with to much base (is there such a thing?😂) and keep the neighbors happy (for now). Maybe this way I can slowly get them used to it 🤣🤭.

Since i do not want to hang my TV on the wall and hide the beautifull slim design (that thing is thinner than my Samsung S10+), I decided I want to keep it on a sideboard so when you walk past it, it almost disappears when viewed from the side. I love that effect and love when other people notice this as well. Still had an old tube as a second TV until I got the C9. To see what we came from is amazing.

Finding a new sideboard that fits all my devices (AVR-X4500H, RP504C, DVD player, Wii, Playstation, Wifi Router, TV) and has some storage space for DVDs, Games and more seemed impossible, so I placed an order for a custom sideboard two days ago. I was able to specify each measurement my self so this will fit everything perfectly and fulfill all my wishes. I just wish I wasn't so picky, would be much cheaper 😂. So for now I have to be patient and enjoy the anticipation 🤗. I will keep you updated and once I have all that set up, I will post some pictures as well. Stay tuned 😉 

@CBlan1224, I have been looking at the PB1000 as well. It seems to pack some serious punch for its small size, which is a plus for me. I am running out of space soon 😅. I don't love the price but reviews are generally very good. I also know about subwoofer 101. In my opinion SVS is more of a subwoofer brand while Klipsch is more of a speaker brand, although they both offer a full lineup. But I think that's what they are generally known for.

I don't realy mind to have this information on a Klipsch forum, as all information posted here is based on our opinions and not pure facts. It adds to a educated decision making process, also for other people reading this. Also I don't think many Klipsch employees are reading this, otherwise there might be more information out there for the questions we ask here 😉

Feel free to suggest anything and let us know your findings when you have the subwoofer and / or the RP500SA. I am also considering those and would hang them in the same way you mentioned. I think I might have to reduce my end goal to a 5.1.2, because my couch is so close to the rear and left walls, but I am still debating 😅. If anyone has an idea how to get a good result with Atmos in "our" type of room without in-ceiling speakers, let us know.

I am still trying to wrap my head around what would work best in my room for surround speakers and if I can actually place a speaker in a corner (and if yes, what type). I might use the small bit of wall space to my left and get a stand for the right, but same dilemma there. Im just to close to the rear and left wall. I will not change around my room since besides for home theater use, I love how my room is set up. There is also the wife factor to account for of corse, although I must say so far she has been great with "accepting" my plans 😍.

Another quick update...

I came across a random, one day sale today (20% off all Klipsch). Couldn't belive it after placing two orders this week 🤦‍♂️.

I was actually just checking if there is a status change for my RP6000F order, when I stumbled upon it, since it was on the same page. This was not advertised anywhere and didn't trigger a price alert I had set up.

Luckily, I was able to cancel that order and place it again, since they were not in stock. I saved a 190 bucks with two clicks 😅. I pulled the trigger on the RP502S and the SPL-120 as well and saved 470 all together. Not too shabby. Sadly I couldn't do the same for the RP504C, which I ordered from a different company, with not as good of a return policy 🤑.

Im sure prices are higher here but that's the lowest they have ever been here, including black friday and other sales, since they were first introduced. 

I didn't really find more information about the surrounds for my type of room and those were still my favorite after all I have read. I did look into the SVS subwoofer, but for this price (44% cheaper) I had to take my chances. I could still go dual or sell it without loosing money in case I don't like it.

I guess I'll find out if I made the right decision.

I'll keep you informed.

Recived the SPL-120 and the RP-502S yesterday. I just had to unbox them and couldn't help to want to listen to them right away. Two entire evenings of listening later, I can make my first assessments. I am no expert so this will be based on what I can compare them to and is just my opinion.

Since the rest of my order is delayed 😒, I'm playing around with these surrounds as front left and right channel (mostly in stereo with music so far), just to get a feel for them. I know that is not what they are actually made for, but this way I can get to know them a bit better and try different alignments. Also this way they are being played the whole time as opposed to when they "only" act as surrounds for movies, which will be their main job later.

I must say, together with the subwoofer, they do a pretty good job at this. Listening to Music is fun and I'm happy with the sound and build quality, as well as their esthetics. I didn't expect them to weigh as much as they do for some reason.

If I align them, like I would if they where surround backs (aligned inline to the TV screen), but in front of me, I really get a center channel effect with them, to where its convincing, sound is coming from the screen.

They also spread the music quite well throughout the room and they never feel like I can spot the source and pinpoint their position (which I know and see of corse). They feel less like a direct monopole, where that seems easier to do.

They are definitely an upgrade from my old front speakers 😅 so they will only move to the back (sides) once I get my new fronts or at least the center. Can't go back to the old fronts now 🤭 They just do to good of a job in a position, they where not built for. 

• 1 month later...