RP250S placement on this wall? Chorus II and Academy mains

alkemyst

My room is about 12x12 but the back wall is only as wide as my sofa plus a foot on each side (13" on the door side and 15" on the other).  It's all tile.  I don't want to have ugly wires running all over.  We may get a rug for the middle of the room but it will not be wall to wall.

What are some good ideas to get surround in here?  I thought my Denon AVR-X3500H could do Virtual Surround with 3 speakers but I guess it doesn't.

EDIT: I just ordered a set of RP250S and some monoprice planate flat 16AWG wiring...looking for ideas to mount (height and should I go right to the wall and door jamb or inset them as well as a nice wiring channel setup).

RearSpeakerPossibility1.png

RearSpeakerPossibility2.png

AlkemystTheatreNew.jpg

My room is similar in size. Just moved some my Klipsch Ultra2’s to storage and sold the others, to try out some Aperion Audio speakers that I just got a “Youthman” kind of deal on.

If I was in your shoes, I would just pick up a pair of RP-250S speakers and put them on stands. 

I am not all that familiar with the Heritage lineup but I can’t remember seeing smaller speakers that would timber match your front stage. Once calibrated by your Denon, I think you’d be quite happy with their performance. 

Here is how my room currently sits, since I have a similarly sized room. This system sounds surprisingly good, when compared to my $10K Ultra2 setup:

I had that rug custom made, to run all the speaker wires so they are mostly out of sight. I would also grab stands that have built in wire management. I also grabbed some flat speaker wire so I wouldn’t notice it when I stepped on it. You might not need the flat wire, since you are on carpet. 

EB2C082D-8B9F-4E4E-B133-8081E9E98373.jpeg

Stands wont work well since the couches arms extend out a bit.  I am going to use flat wire too, but run along the glass doors to the corners and up the one wall and the door jamb on the other with white wire.  Are the RP-250's the way to go versus the 502S or RS52-II/62-II or RS35/7?  The cost is not the issue, but my space is small for the next year or two then my space will be much better.

Timber matching for for surround is generally not as big of a deal. You might consider an in wall, or a ceiling speaker. I sold my RS-7's surrounds due to a remodel which left no wall for me to hang my left rear surround on, so, I purchased a pair of in ceiling Klipsch CDT5800 C2's and they do a great job. You can angle them to the MLP and best of all, they are wife approved... at least my wife likes them (no small feat). 

• Moderators

With the sofa right on the back wall surround placement can be tough.

One odd thing I head which sounded pretty good was they had put there surrounds on the ground behind the sofa pointing up, strange but it worked pretty good. You could not really tell where the sound was coming from and was really defused making a nice rear sound for surround.