Clone La Scala Build - Recommended (Minor) mods?

Robbie010

My Clone La Scala project will be kicking off this weekend with the cabinet construction. I am sticking closely to the stock look using 18mm plywood. 

I have been trawling threads regarding mods.... there are many! However, I am only really interested in any minor tweaks that people have done and that result in favourable results.

I have read threads regarding foam being placed behind the woofer and threads about placing vertical triangular strips in the back corners etc.

Are there any minor tweaks that la scala owners have carried out where the consensus is an overall improvement?

Make them look more like La Scala II's with removable tops that aren't physically attached to the bass bins as THAT would be an improvement (I did that with my Belle clones) You could also make the bin outer walls 1" thick like the LS II's, too.  But, yeah, there are lots of things you can do and then there's a point of diminishing returns; just all depends on what you're after.  Mine Belle clones are pretty much  like the originals but with separate tops.  The only OEM parts are the top grills and K-500 horns...everything else is new including K-33-K woofers, Crites A-55G mids, and CT-120 tweeters.  I wasn't trying to reinvent the wheel.

Oh, and no foam inside the bass bin.  Just make sure the bin is sealed air tight and you're golden.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Make them look more like La Scala II's with removable tops that aren't physically attached to the bass bins as THAT would be an improvement (I did that with my Belle clones) You could also make the bin outer walls 1" thick like the LS II's, too.  But, yeah, there are lots of things you can do and then there's a point of diminishing returns; just all depends on what you're after.  Mine Belle clones are pretty much  like the originals but with separate tops.  The only OEM parts are the top grills and K-500 horns...everything else is new including K-33-K woofers, Crites A-55G mids, and CT-120 tweeters.  I wasn't trying to reinvent the wheel.

Oh, and no foam inside the bass bin.  Just make sure the bin is sealed air tight and you're golden.

Thanks!

I actually really like the look of split cabinets and have been contemplating this option..... now is the time for final decisions, so watch this space!

I'm using original K-77M tweeters, K-55V mids with K401 horns and Eminence Kappa 15C woofers, plus DIY build Type A crossovers.

47 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I wouldn't overthink the process, then.  Don't try to reinvent the wheel....just make some upgrades/updates here and there and call them your own.

Definitely not looking to reinvent the wheel and I want to try and stay as close to stock as possible. However, the split cab is looking like a definite possibility. 

As per the original post, I was really looking for suggestions of small tweaks and mods that may offer improvements. As good as the original design is, I’m sure after all these years and umpteen mods and upgrades by other users/owners, there may be some consensus and to which mods offer an improvement and which are not really worth the effort!?

With the reported extra output from the Kappa 15C from 200 to 400+ Hz, you don't need the back corner reflectors.  La Scalas have 2 real flaws.  The bass horn is too short (no deep bass) and the side walls vibrate at high levels.  Bracing the sidewalls or building them from 25mm plywood are solutions.  Build your braces a little off center to avoid just doubling the resonant frequency.  

msg-43-0-95880000-1424364411_thumb.jpg

.  The build list I posted in your other thread (written by dennis kleitsch - djk) is very detailed and get you solide and squared up cabinets. You can slightly increase the width so the doghouse can accomodate larger frame woofers if you want, like Bob C's cast frame woofer.

Dennis would build a dozen ofthe bass boxes at a time. He used them for P.A. work. I loved using them.