KHorn replica building - 12mm V 15 mm - plywood thickness for woofer

Megdoud

Hello everyone !

[EDIT] : I got help and solved my initial issues, but I still have a more general question : 

I'm going to have to adapt the drawings I have because they are 0.5"=12.7 mm. In France plywood is available in 12mm and 15 mm.

The question is simple : which is the most relevant, replacing 0.5" by 12mm or by 15mm? And what's at stake? Do I risk an audible difference or am I worrying about a non important detail?

Best to all of you

Merwan

---Initial Question and story below---

This is my first post here but please be sure that I've browsed the forum more than a few hours before asking.

If you think that a previous topic has my answers I'd be glad to pe pointed towards it !

To the point

My friend and I are on the way to building two pairs of KHorn replicas. Our research has been good and most of our interrogations have now found an answer.

One thing that remains blurry to us is the thickness of the panels to be used for the woofer building. I came across different plans, more or less complete.

The synthesis and translation of these that we made can be found in the attachments. Yet I'm still unsure as to what pieces need 18mm or 12mm. I believe i've read contradictory opinions here and there, but no plans make it completely explicit.

Does anyone have a definitive answer to this? Or a more specific one after looking out our cutting plans?

My questions summed up :

1. Do our cutting plans seem legit?

2. What thickness should we use for what pieces? 

3. Any extra advice? or warning?

A few precisions :

we will be cutting and assembling with the help of a professional woodworker - family member-

we're french so we would appreciate sticking with mm as far as units go :)

yes, our plans already mention 12 / 18 but they're a guess and we're looking to be sure about that !

Thanks a lot for the help, this community looks great, already learnt so much by browsing here !

Best

M & V

Plaque 1.jpg

Plaque 3.jpg

Plaque 4.jpg

Plaque 5 (1).jpg

Plaque 5.jpg

Plaque 6.jpg

Edited by Megdoud

Thanks bigdnfay1 for your help, I broke the problem down to a simple question : 

The question is simple : which is the most relevant, replacing 0.5" by 12mm or by 15mm? And what's at stake? Do I risk an audible difference or am I worrying about a non important detail?

Thanks to all readers and helpers !

Merwan

When I have built I find that you want really precise fit up you measure the lot of plywood you have bought for size and adjust accordingly. That 12 or 15mm wood has a tolerance of + or - that can effect fit up if you do not check first then cut.

1 hour ago, drboar said:

I built (long time ago) a Klipsch Horn Clone. I built it in 19mm chipboard, keeping the horn flare as original and then slightly smaller chamber. So the sturderier the better.

Just to be sure i understand (not a native english speaker) : you kept the inside pieces as original but made the global enclosure slightly tighter?

thx for the help!

19 hours ago, Megdoud said:

Dave : i will be modifying all dimensions according to the choice i end up making yes, dont worry about that

My question is which would be BETTER between 12 and 15mm thickness

OK I opt for thicker where ever possible and assuming you can maintain the internal volume of the KHorn by adjusting for thickness. I regularly use 25mm for my speaker projects although of course I would not for something like a KHorn.