The Klipsch Audio Community
7heavenlyplaces

LSI BASS BINS Seattle $200

Before anyone gets too excited, please be aware that this is likely a scam...the same address was used for a pair of Heresys that were advertised in Seattle a few months ago.

I have a friend that lost $250. on that con.

That guy was not local and got a bunch of folks to pay PayPal in advance.

He goes by David Culver or Dr. David Culver.

Just  FYI.

He also has a Marantz receiver and an Akai reel to reel in play:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ele/d/beaverton-tape-deck-akai-636/7059627590.html

Of course, If a real deal, that is a great price.

• Like 1

Yeah, he's been doing that for a while here. The Reel to Reel looks reel (!) nice and tempting at the price. I just hate liars.

In another thread this same person wrote that he was interested in selling these LSI bins. I sent him a PM and he initially answered but has since failed to reply... Just bad manners, or perhaps he has nefarious intentions?

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/profile/75086-cully/ 

I just sent him a pm with a link to this page. He should have the opportunity to defend himself... We'll see if he answers up? 

"If it seems too good to be true... It is probably a fraud."

He replied to my most recent PM where I asked him "Are you for real?" and pasted a link to this page.  

Cully's answered: "yes! very real - not a bot. I prefer to sell local to avoid shipping! There's been a large interest in these cabinets locally"

I suggested that he answers up (on this page) and defends his reputation.

I'd personally be interested in clearing my name instead of leaving questioning doubts in the minds of other forum members.    

hey - you folks are confusing me with someone else! These cabs are the only items I'm selling! I'm not familiar with your forum please forgive me - I would rather sell locally here in Seattle so I don't have to ship! Sincerely Cully

9 minutes ago, Cully said:

hey - you folks are confusing me with someone else! These cabs are the only items I'm selling! I'm not familiar with your forum please forgive me - I would rather sell locally here in Seattle so I don't have to ship! Sincerely Cully

Thanks for posting a reply! Apparently the confusion is cleared up.

Just a suggestion for this sale and other items that you may have, it's common for forum members to initially list their items for sale in the "garage sale" forum and state that they prefer to do a local sale and then post it elsewhere if you fail to sell the item to a fellow forum member. This provides other forum members in your area the opportunity to purchase the items prior to the sale being offered on other sites like Craigslist.  

PM sent to "Cully" offering to pick these up at the asking price with cash.  I will keep the forum posted on status of the deal.

• Thanks 1

Just got two messages:

#1- received 15 minutes ago in response to my CL ad response yesterday morning at 5:42 AM:

" I'm pulling them out of my basement tonight - there's 4 people before you. Should be ready tomorrow (Saturday) I'll keep you posted. Thanks "

#2 -  received 7 minutes ago in  response to PM  above:

"are you local? (Seattle) There has been a large response to this posting - I think you are number eight. I'll keep you posted. "

Cully, are you related to David Culver?

• Like 1

Don't be so hard on the guy.  He seems for real.  Go post a set of La Scala bass bins with woofers for $200 and see how many responses you get.

• Like 1

I offered to pick them up the day before yesterday with cash...another member offered the same thing a week ago......come on,  really?

BTW, the ad is still up...

20 hours ago, Cully said:

If I have confused you with another then I sincerely apologize.

There's something to learn with this thread and it's not that anyone has made an effort to blame or accuse the seller of wrongdoing. More to the point is that a potential buyer is responsible to do his homework to determine the validity of the seller and the product, this is especially true in these days where internet fraud is prevalent. The common legal term to describe the buyer investigating the transaction prior to the sale is labeled as caveat emptor or "let the buyer beware."

There are many tell tale signs that would call for the buyer to exercise caution and to further investigate. Probably the simplest of these "red flag" warnings would be observing some aspect of the item for sale or the seller that's doesn't make sense. In other words, something that's out of the ordinary needs to be looked into or more closely examined. Examples would include a seller that didn't have a history of sales on that particular site, no positive feedback if the site provides for comment from previous buyers or a price that's too good to be true.

There are numerous other examples taken from actual situations where fraud was successful. One that comes to mind is a seller requesting to meet in a remote location to compete a cash transaction. It's difficult to imagine a potential purchaser not seeing this as something "out of the ordinary". Much to the unsuspecting surprise of the trusting buyer could be the end result of getting held up at gunpoint and separated from his hard earned money or much worse. I understand that in Los Angeles this type of scam is so common that police dept. buildings have been designated as official "safe buyer zones" where parties to internet sales are encouraged to conduct transactions. 

In this particular sale there are a few things that are out of the ordinary and worthy of a closer look; the less than reasonable cost of the item,  a poor level of communication from the seller, the seller requesting "local sale only" but apparently unwilling to have someone inspect the item in person, not posting the item in the garage sale area of this forum despite knowing of its existence and the seller stating that there are many other people in line for the product even though many previous attempts were made to arrange for an on-site inspection, the sellers history of posting once or twice and so on... None of these things are direct evidence of any fraud. But in the mind of a justifiably suspicious buyer they are data that should demand one take a closer at the situation in order to make an educated decision about the validity of the sale.

In the matter of internet sales one is wise to assume the viewpoint of being overly suspicious. The cliché, "if it seems too good to be true... It is probably a fraud" is an appropriate guiding principle for internet buyers to assume. Caveat emptor! 

• Like 1