New to Klipsch

Cubfan45

I am new to Klipsch after my Bose System 38 went to the curb.  I have purchased four R-41Ms for use as front and rears and I am looking for a center. I am limited to 6-1/2” in height and the only speaker I have found is the RC-42 II. Any thoughts or recommendations?  Thanks. 

Welcome to the forum. You didn't say what receiver is powering your new setup but it sounds like you are shooting for a surround system, like 5.0 or 5.1 in the end. Consider this, while watching a true dolby digital broadcast/audio signal like a blu ray movie, easily 80% of the dialog/sound comes via the center speaker. If it was me, I'd run a phantom center channel for now, and my next purchase would be a subwoofer to augment your R-41Ms. The 41s go down to ~ 60 hz so you won't be hearing most of the Dolby Digital LFE signal for sure.

Most of the modern late model AVRs (I know Denon, Sony, and Yamaha AVRs do for sure) allow you to run a phantom center channel in its settings (4.0 speaker layout setting). I have been running a phantom center for 5+ years and it functions quite well. I have Cornwalls for my mains L+R and space limitations preclude a matching center (Like a Heresy).

Try it out, you might like it. A good sub would def be my next expenditure for you imo. It will add a great impact to your home theater (Low frequency effects), and help with LF sound reproduction (bass) in music sources too. Again, most modern AVRs will allow you to choose a crossover point for all of your 41s to the subwoofer. Most common is 80 hz, 41s set to "small" in AVR.

If low bass reproduction isn't really important to you, then yes the RC-42II is a good match for your 41s.

• Like 1

Thanks Polizzio for the reply. I forgot to give additional info on my original post. I also purchased a Yamaha RXV485 receiver and I have a Klipsch KSW-10 subwoofer that is probably 20 years old. I used the subwoofer for my old Acoustimas 7 set-up in the “man cave”. 

I ran the YPAO and the sub is working. I had my 41’s set to small with a crossover at 80 as you recommended.  So far, I am happy with the speakers. Due to age and hearing loss, I would like to get a little more midrange out of the fronts, but not quite sure how to do it. 

Thanks for your reply, help, and recommendation.