Heresy IV versus Heresy III

buckaroo

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Charles T said:

I have no need or desire to prove anything to you. Go read some books on the subject.

And yet, another joins my ignore list...

He is not a good one to "ignore." He is a Forum Moderator and Chief Enginger at Klipsch. He literally wrote the book, based on PWK's workbooks that were personally given to him by Mr. Klipsch.

Be nice, be respectful, or be gone please.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Charles T said:

I have no need or desire to prove anything to you. Go read some books on the subject.

And yet, another joins my ignore list...

Just what are your proven credentials that your opinion carries more weight in the real world than Boneheads? Audiogon is looking for you. They misplaced you and want to know where you are.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

He is not a good one to "ignore." He is a Forum Moderator and Chief Enginger at Klipsch. He literally wrote the book, based on PWK's workbooks that were personally given to him by Mr. Klipsch.

Be nice, be respectful, or be gone please.

16 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Got a website?  If you do then, go there. 

"Be nice, be respectful"... Those rules should apply to everyone, including Chief... Referring of course to his response to me, quoted above.

10 hours ago, glens said:

You do know who that is, right?

If not, do a web search for "Roy Delgado".

No, I didn't. How would I? There's no mention whatsoever of who he is, even in his profile.

And since it is Roy, then he of all people should know that what I said is correct, that putting an identical driver in a marginally larger enclosure that's ported, then sealing that port off, making it a sealed enclosure again, for the very small amount of extra air space is NOT going to make much (if any) difference for bass extension. As long as a port is plugged, it does nothing more than take up air space in the enclosure, nothing else.

Which THAT is my argument here. Not drivers that are designed specifically for ported applications vs drivers designed specifically for sealed applications in the wrong enclosures.

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

Just what are your proven credentials that your opinion carries more weight in the real world than Boneheads? Audiogon is looking for you. They misplaced you and want to know where you are.

Nobody that does this as a hobby for themselves needs "proven credentials". That's why there have been books out there forever about loudspeaker design, so anyone who is interested can study up on the subject. Heck, even Radioshack had a couple of those books, both of which I have somewhere along with a few others. 

And you Dave, who apparently deals a lot with loudspeaker design and such should also know what I am talking about and know that I am correct.

You Klipsch guys need to seriously take a step back and stop being so darn aggressive, combative, ganging up on and being so quick to attack new members. Just because a member is new does NOT mean that they are dummies or naive... Or wrong.

8 hours ago, glens said:

He probably didn't/won't see my post if I'm also on his ignore list...  

No you're not. Neither is Chief since there's no option for it for him.

With all of that being said, there are far more pressing matters at the moment in this world to be worrying about. For some of us, in our own town, or worse, in our very own families. So with that, let's stop the unnecessary hostility and focus that energy towards things that truly matter. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Charles T said:

"Be nice, be respectful"... Those rules should apply to everyone, including Chief... Referring of course to his response to me, quoted above.

No, I didn't. How would I? There's no mention whatsoever of who he is, even in his profile.

And since it is Roy, then he of all people should know that what I said is correct, that putting an identical driver in a marginally larger enclosure that's ported, then sealing that port off, making it a sealed enclosure again, for the very small amount of extra air space is NOT going to make much (if any) difference for bass extension. As long as a port is plugged, it does nothing more than take up air space in the enclosure, nothing else.

Which THAT is my argument here. Not drivers that are designed specifically for ported applications vs drivers designed specifically for sealed applications in the wrong enclosures.

Nobody that does this as a hobby for themselves needs "proven credentials". That's why there have been books out there forever about loudspeaker design, so anyone who is interested can study up on the subject. Heck, even Radioshack had a couple of those books, both of which I have somewhere along with a few others. 

And you Dave, who apparently deals a lot with loudspeaker design and such should also know what I am talking about and know that I am correct.

You Klipsch guys need to seriously take a step back and stop being so darn aggressive, combative, ganging up on and being so quick to attack new members. Just because a member is new does NOT mean that they are dummies or naive... Or wrong.

With all of that being said, there are far more pressing matters at the moment in this world to be worrying about. For some of us, in our own town, or worse, in our very own families. So with that, let's stop the unnecessary hostility and focus that energy towards things that truly matter. 

Actually the way it went down was he simply asked you if your opinion was based on testing (Roy is always teaching, always). You had some comment to the effect that is was based on 30 years of experience of building speakers. I, and I think others didn't understand that response as a lot of people, including some short lived commercial successes, have built some terrible speakers with well more than thirty years of experience. 

When your response to a simple question was essentially "I'm a speaker builder for over 30 years, trust me" it was natural for him to assume you might be selling something. We get a lot of that around here, people peddling their takeoff of a Klipsch designed product along with people who pop in to review, compare, rate speakers, etc. without having ever heard them.

This was all in the context of a H 3 vs. H 4 thread. It would probably have gone over better if you had simply started a new thread on it, "Thoughts on Heresy IV design/ports" or something.

Roy always has time for people who want to learn, better understand, what Paul did what he did, and as a result, why Roy does what he does. By the same token, my observations have been that both Paul, and Roy, had very little time for people who thought they knew it all or couldn't learn something new.

Welcome to the Forum, and looking forward to your posts.

Travis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Charles T said:

What I know and respect is Boneheads proven knowledge which he demonstrates with the products he designs and his willingness to share that knowledge. I am no expert just a serious dabbler but one thing I do know is who to listen too.

Why don't you start over as Travis suggests and begin a thread and not be so certain you are the only one who knows speakers. No one likes a smug know it all.

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
9 hours ago, Charles T said:

I find your post sincere and goofy at the same time. Nice. Your adamant response to there not being much difference in ported or not intrigued me. So I really was curious as to whether you had measured said difference or at the very least listened to the difference. Not all will behave the same way for not all follow the same recipe. Yes there have been books about this for years. And if every manufacturer followed those “recipes” then they would all the sound the same. But it’s the difference in the recipes, like a pinch there, and a pinch here, that make them different. And why I think Paul Klipsch was very successful. 

I like to to remain anonymous although some of my fellow boneheads rat me out. I do that to find out just how persistent someone will be in their position. No need to bully as the so called experts in the past and present have tended to be and then soften up. As you said lighten up bro. No negativity. If you don’t like it, you don’t like it. I like it. 

I dont assume you are correct in your assumption. And that is due to the fact that I would have to ignore the data gathered over the years to agree with you. You talk about that there are more serious topics to be discussed as current events dictate. And I agree. So why were you so sure that the the differences in the 3 vs 4 were so hyped up that you chose to be so negative?  As I stated in another thread.....I stand by my data. And I hope that the heresy iv is exactly where Paul wants it to be......

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2