The Klipsch Audio Community
buckaroo

Heresy IV versus Heresy III

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

feet. Now I did not measure it but that is my memory. All four speaker types were lined up in the center of the room and a good distance out from the wall behind them.

That is interesting. My first thought is that many people using a new H IV in their home would likely have the speaker placed closer to a wall or corner...not having the spatial luxury to move the speaker farther away from a rear facing surface.

On 2/13/2020 at 6:04 AM, Dave A said:

..."Port stuffing and all that rigamarole are not needed with these and the H4 is the aggregate of ALL the things Roy has done and it just sounds good. If it were me and I went to hear a set of these and did not like them I would not consider tinkering with them. At that point in time I would have to say the smaller speaker was not capable of the sound I wanted"... .

Partial quote above. I agree with this perspective. I believe most buyers would have a similar philosophy. I hope this doesn't devolve into what port stuffing materials effect what frequencies. Bear in mind, Klipsch does not supply port stuffing with the speaker; no doubt a reflection of confidence in the new speaker's engineering and how it should be used.

No offense to anyone by my remarks. But, the OP (me) solicited informed opine regarding direct comparisons H3 versus H4. Let's stay on topic for the benefit of the product and the future reader. If there is a need to continue the merit of port stuffing, perhaps those folks should start a dedicated thread about their views.

In kindness and redirection,

Buck

• Like 1

19 hours ago, buckaroo said:

Partial quote above. I agree with this perspective. I believe most buyers would have a similar philosophy. I hope this doesn't devolve into what port stuffing materials effect what frequencies. Bear in mind, Klipsch does not supply port stuffing with the speaker; no doubt a reflection of confidence in the new speaker's engineering and how it should be used.

No offense to anyone by my remarks. But, the OP (me) solicited informed opine regarding direct comparisons H3 versus H4. Let's stay on topic for the benefit of the product and the future reader. If there is a need to continue the merit of port stuffing, perhaps those folks should start a dedicated thread about their views.

In kindness and redirection,

Buck

Being a forum, the thread can take a life of it's own.  At least it was really on topic though not specifically what you wanted since it appears you are mainly focused on the port.  This thread has moved on from port stuffing 8 or so entries ago. 

The title is IV vs III that encompasses a lot of other facets of the design changes and merits a lot of other discussion such as on the midrange moving back to a non-Ti base which is very interesting to me.  Hence a lot of global discussion. 

Bass response is going to be largely dependent on positioning and the room.  No clear cut answer.  I find that you can get significant bass our of non-ported Heresy's if you have them on slightly tilted stands about 12" from the wall and 10" off the floor.  That is when you are using Heresy's in a house with solid floors (concrete) and good walls.  The bass loading, even with the non-ported enclosure is very good and tight.  Some might say porting muddies it and like the closed bass.  Some not.  A 1" change in enclosure size isn't going to be a make or break deal with this.  Either way, you will need to figure positioning into the bass loading equation as the extra hz, though will be somewhat down due to the box size.  Room size and proximity to floor and wall will be key.