B&W 801 - $950 (Saint Louis)

Edgar

19 hours ago, Edgar said:

Not Klipsch, not even horns, but at one time these were considered by some to be the pinnacle of audiophile loudspeakers. Might be worth a listen at under $1000.

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/d/saint-louis-bw-801/7062389369.html

No affiliation.

Deleted. 

Great Speakers, love B&W 800 series, still have a few pair of 805s in different flavors.  But Klipsch did it better with the Palladiums.  Same detail and sound stage, but more dynamic and exciting and much easier to drive. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Edgar said:

Probably sold quickly at that price.

Nice sounding speakers, but nowhere near the dynamics of a horn and able to humble the most powerful amps.

You are not kidding. I had a pair of 700 wpc Classe Monoblocks (4 ohm speakers, actually drop to 2 ohms) driving Signature 800s.  They ate the power up so quickly it was scary.  I will get some heat for this, but it reminded me of when a friend let me drive his Harley Davidson, twist the throttle and the bike just seemed to eat up the fuel, but didn't take off like my motorcycle, it just ate up all the fuel and kind of accelerated.

Still, the B&Ws do have an amazing midrange.  I have a pair of the Signature 805's and they do acoustic music really well.  They are also not that hard to drive. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, risingjay said:

Well, if anyone is intresed, I do have a pair of 805 matrix if you're interested.  Very nice!  Not cheap though.  I know what they use these for.

I was too busy with work and missed a local perfect set of M805s with a matching Matrix center for $700.  Black ash which I am not crazy about, but at that price. 

3 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I was too busy with work and missed a local perfect set of M805s with a matching Matrix center for $700.  Black ash which I am not crazy about, but at that price. 

That was a good deal.  That price is starting for a pair.  I see them a lot on music documentary's for studio work.